cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

abysal
Adept I

RAIDXpert2 & failure to access SSD if GUI not running

Hi, I'm having an issue where "RAIDXpert2.exe" needs to be running (the GUI), otherwise access to the created SSD JBOD Array/Disk stops completely and windows displays I/O errors when accessing the drive. I've observed this behavior with several SSD, and arrays that were created in BIOS or from the RAIDXpert2 GUI in Windows. Currently using just 1 SSD for testing - a Samsung EVO 870 4TB.

I believe this issue also exists if the SSD is in legacy mode.

A separate 2x hard drive RAID 1 mirror (non-SSD) doesn't exhibit this problem and functions normally regardless whether the RAIDXpert2 GUI is running or not.

I've replaced SATA cables, and also verified the SSD on two other systems; a B550, and x570. The SSD works without issue on those systems in either JBOD or Legacy mode Those systems also used the 9.3.2.158 driver installer package.

RAID mode enabled in BIOS

NVME drives are not using RAID driver. All SATA ports are configured for RAID, thus are using the RAID driver.

New Clean Win10 22H2 Install

Installed "amd_raid_software_3.12.08.452" package for driver and RAIDXpert2 management GUI.

Property(C): ProductName = AMD_RAID_Software
Property(C): ProductVersion = 3.12.08.452

System:

Board: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi (MS-7D70)
BIOS: E7D70AMS.120
VGA: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Nitro+ - v31.0.14001.45012 (Adrenalin 23.2.1)
PSU: Corsair HX1200i
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
RAM: G.Skill Tident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.40v 64GB (2x32GB - F5-6000J3238G32GX2-TZ5NR)
NVME: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB Boot/OS (GPT/UEFI/NVME Slot0), Silicon Power A80 in NVME Slot1 (Not initialized)
SSD: Samsung EVO 870 4TB (Port 1 & AMD-RAID JBOD Array 2)
HDD: ST10000NM0016 x2 Array 1 (Ports 5 & 6)
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE Cooler
Add-in Cards: Mellanox ConnectX-3 10Gbit Ethernet in PCIe slot 3 - most bottom slot)

RAIDXpert2 Version - Screenshot 2023-03-01 040626.pngAMD-RAID SSD I-O Error - v120 - 2023-02-28 203402.png

0 Likes
8 Replies
abysal
Adept I

We've been able to replicate this issue on an ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero in addition to the MSI MPG Carbon X670E WiFi. This seems to point to a driver or RAIDXpert issue on AMD's side.

Post#6:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-mpg-x670e-carbon-wifi-ms-7d70-raidxpert2-failure-to-a...

You can add Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master to the list. 

I have 2 drives in a RAID1 configuration and the volume acts very flaky if RaidXpert2 GUI (v9.3.2) isn't running.  I'm unable to unable to access a folder at the moment because of an "I/O device error".  This version has an option to start on boot, but it doesn't start up cleanly, it always complains about needing administrator privileges.  This is on latest Win11 - fresh install.  

Edit: ok, now the device is throwing errors even when RaidXpert2 is loaded.  

Interestingly, CrystalDiskInfo cannot see these drives, though I have an almost identical setup on an X570 motherboard under windows 10 and it has no problems.

0 Likes
Fulvy
Adept I

Hi

As of 9 May 2023, I can confirm the same behaviour and probably like most I thought it was either the sata or power cable at first.

In my circumstances I set up a raid 0 on two ssds and had a further two that are currently not in raid 0, but have had to disconnect one due to the I/O error when accessing it. The problem arises when I have all four connectors utilised, but works with 3 without RaidXpert2 running.

Starting AMD RaidXpert2 and having it running resolves the issue it seems. I am on X670E chipset using the MSI MAG Tomahawke that has 4 sata connectors.

I hope AMD can update RaidXpert2 and resolve this issue. 

abysal
Adept I

It's now August 2023 - issue is still present. There haven't been any driver updates. However the work around does work as long as RAIDXpert2.exe is loaded on windows start up. I've not had any issues accessing the 4 RAID arrays I have been using.

0 Likes
Deafix
Journeyman III

Have the same issue with x670e ASUS TUF PLUS WIFI board, if i not keep the RAID2XPERT app open, RAID not even works. Would be nice if we have to keep it open to have on the tray menu.

I wanted to do a 2xNVMe RAID0 and failed for the SO

This is clearly a driver problem not solved because the drivers are 2022. But why it works with the app ON? who knows...

0 Likes
abysal
Adept I

FYI, new driver / installer - 9.3.2.255. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/x670

I've not ran the full upgrade package (I updated drivers manually) so I can't say if the new installer corrects the issue with RAIDXpert2 (I'm still running a work around with having it loaded via task scheduler on boot). Here are the release notes from 12/9/23 - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-raid-5-12-07-030

0 Likes

Thanks for the heads up abysal, will try them out in the week.

0 Likes
Orangeninja1
Journeyman III

I am having the same issue on an Asus Prime X670-P. I have seen the same results using both the 9.3.2.255 as well as the older 9.3.2.158 driver. Until I have found a fix I have made a scheduled task to run Raid Xpert as system on startup and it appears to work for the time being.

0 Likes