Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jm18190
Adept I

RaidXpert reboot and shutdown issue

Hello all,

I just opened an AMD support ticket but I thought I might get an answer here as well.

I am having an issue with the RaidXpert chipset driver install. Once the drivers are installed, my PC will no longer allow me to power off, restart, or hibernate properly. Windows will shut down (the rebooting or shutdown screen will go black) but my PC remains powered on requiring me to do a hard shutdown to get it to turn off. RaidXpert appears to be working without issue otherwise, and my disk drives are online without fault. Once I restore Windows to a point before the driver install operation returns to normal. Running AMDCleanupUtility does not correct the issue after installing the driver package, and so far the only way to fix the issue is using Windows Restore to go to a previous point. I did not have this issue when I first installed RaidXpert when the PC was built, but I can no longer get back to that working state.

When I hard shut down my PC my motherboard goes into failsafe mode resetting RAM speed to 2400mhz as if there was an overclock or hardware error, but I have confirmed there isn't one. The issue is purely caused by the RaidXpert chipset driver install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Troubleshooting performed:

-Restore windows (reboot/poweroff functionality restored)

-AMDCleanupUtility to clear all drivers

-Install latest chipset driver 18.10.0418

-Reboot

-Install latest amd-nvme-raid-chipset-driver_9.2.0.41

-Reboot (reboot fault begins)

-Install latest amd-nvme-raid-chipset-driver_9.2.0.41

-Install RaidXpert drivers that I believe were used when system was built (Radeon-software-crimson-raidxpert-relive-17.30-09aug)

System info:

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme bios v3008

CPU - Ryzen 7 1800x

GPU - Vega 64

PSU - Corsair AX860

RAM - 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz DDR4 running at 3200mhz and rated timings/power

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803 (latest update)

Storage:

Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500gb (boot drive)

2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb in RAID0

Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB

Thank you,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Ah, that type of configuration (OS Boot driver outside of array + Raid) was not supported and could explain your issues if you used the wrong drivers. Try using these Chipset/Raid drivers.

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

90 Replies

amdmatt​ do you by any chance have some beta drivers for me to test?

0 Likes

No, the latest drivers are available to download here > X399 Drivers & Support | AMD

0 Likes

Yup. They seem to be pretty crappy

0 Likes

I have same issues on my 2990WX/1950X @ Asus Zenith Extreme+MSI X399 Creation

PC Config 1

1950x

asus zenith extreme bios 1402

gskill gtzrx rgb ddr4 3200c14 8x8gb

samsung 960pro 1tb x3 nvme raid 0 (boot drives)

4x toshiba 3t raid0

titan xp sli

windows 10 pro 1803

latest Raid drivers

latest chipset drivers

latest nvidia drivers

PC Config 2

2990wx

msi x399 creation latest bios

gskill gtzrx rgb 3200c14 8x8gb

wd black 2018 1t x7 raid0 (boot drives)

4x toshiba 4t raid 0

4x toshiba 6t raid10

nvidia gtx 2080 sli

windows 10 pro 1803

latest Raid drivers

latest chipset drivers

latest nvidia drivers

I tried Windows restart. turned off video output, stayed on in a "powered" state for 5 minutes and then the PSU shut down

if you reinstall windows without delete raid raid array in bios and create Raid array , when finish windows setup,system will not restart and screen frozen

you must delete all raid array in bios and create Raid array and reinstall windows , it will be successfully install the OS,but if you use backup and restore windows 7

in control panel and make are backup on any local drives ,when finished and restart the system ,your system will stayed on in a "powered" state over 5 minutes and

no video

if you disable fast boot in windows 10 ,you will get the power supply will not restart or shut down on every time,fastboot on =you can shutdown, but restart will stayed

on in a "powered" state over 5 minutes

please fix this problem in new drivers, Patch, or windows update ,thank !!!!!

amdmatt looks like I'm not the only one. Any way you can escalate this to the driver team?

0 Likes

I have shared this feedback and we do not see this issue unfortunately. I have also been unsucessful in attempting to reproduce it on my test systems.

I will send you a PM to collect more information to see if there is anything we have missed.

0 Likes

please make are backup in control panel >backup and restore windows 7 ,you will see this problem

0 Likes

Windoiws 7 is not a supported OS for nVME Raid, it's WIn 10 64 bit only.

0 Likes

my system is running on windows 10 64bit !!!! you go to (control panel) >(backup and restore windows 7)>make are backup>restart>you will see this problem

0 Likes
alexissu
Adept I

still no any updates?

0 Likes
prudovik
Journeyman III

Confirm this problem.

My config:

R5 2600

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero BIOS v 6201(AGESA 1.0.0.2)

RAM 8 GB

SSD Crucial M4-CT256M4SSD2 Non-RAID

HDD Seagate ST3000VX000 Non-RAID

HDD Seagate ST4000VN000 Non-RAID

HDD 3x WDC WD6401AALS in RAID0

All disks in GPT

Windoows 10 Pro x64 1803 on SSD

Used at setup AMD RAID Driver (SATA RAID Only) 9.2.0.70

Windows setup hangs each time at rebooting (after 1st phase of installation and after device setting).

Working system don't reboot or power off wether fast boot and hibernation enable or not.

amdmatt​ issue looks to be more wide spread and cover both SATA and NVME raid.

amdmatt​ I've registered just to report that I'm also seeing the same issue.

Windows is installed on a RAID0 NVMe array, it boots fine but when shutting down or restarting has to be powered off manually.

I don't know if it's related or not, but I could not get the boot drivers to work on Windows 10 1809, I had to use an 1803 image or the drivers hung during loading. Once Windows was installed, it picked up RAID drives no problem.

Here's my current setup:

I installed 1803 from scratch on the RAID array, my EFS boot partition is on the same array. Using the current latest drivers, 9.2.0.70 (SATA and NVMe RAID) on a Gigabyte Auros Xtrreme with a TR 2950x.

The 3rd NVMe slot is populated with a drive that's NOT in RAID.

Additionally, I have 1x 4TB HDD and 1x SATA SSD, also not in RAID.

Is there any other information I can give that would help diagnose the fault? Any log files or anything I can supply?

2018-10-22 15_37_35-Window.png

2018-10-22 15_38_43-Disk Management.png

I appreciate that a couple of the drives are in "legacy" mode, but these aren't boot drives at all. That shouldn't affect things?

0 Likes

Are all Sata controllers set to Raid mode?

Is your Boot/OS drive the first hard drive listed in your Raid configuration in the BIOS?

0 Likes

You have LEGACY drives in there, that's most likely the issue. I suggest reading the RaidXpert2 documentation to help you set things up correctly as when you do that these types of issues can be avoided. https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-raidxpert2_user_guide.pdf

I think from what you're saying elsewhere in the thread it's actually the order of the RAID Arrays that's the issue. I'm booting from Array 3 in this instance, I didn't realise that it had to be the first array in the list. I misunderstood and thought it was telling me to ensure that the boot drive was the first boot device (which goes without saying really).

If I just remove the first two drives listed from the machine (Array 1 and 2), will that de-facto make Array 3 the first or do I still need to recreate the arrays? If that works, what's the best way to go about re-adding them back?

I'm reluctant to recreate the arrays as that means wiping everything - fairly nontrivial, but if that must be done then so be it. I appreciate that's probably the "easiest" way to resolve this, but I simply don't have a way of easily reordering the arrays unless I've missed something in the BIOS.

I think you will need to rebuild them in the BIOS, but by all means give it a go and disconnect the other arrays first as there does not seem to be an option exposed in most consumer motherboards to change the order of the arrays, despite it being mentioned in our documentation and exposed in AMD internal boards.

0 Likes

amdmatt​ Good news! I have resolved the issue thanks to your help.

For reference, here's what my configuration looks like now:

Working Boot.png

Better still, I did _not_ have to reinstall Windows! You're correct, I couldn't just rearrange the RAID volumes as there's no way of doing it either through the BIOS or via RaidXpert (Is that something that would be possible in a feature update? It would certainly make fixing this issue much easier)!.

What I had to do was delete Array 1 and 2 (deleting all data in the process....), reboot into the BIOS and recreate them there, which brought the previous Array 3 (my boot array) to position 1. Deleting and recreating them via RaidXpert would retain their previous Array Id's, so this needed to be done via the BIOS.

After rebooting again and updating to the latest drivers just to be safe, I have successfully shut down without having to do a hard power off!

Thank you again for your help with this issue, I'd never have figured it out.

prudovik
Journeyman III

Shell we see new RAID driwers for Windows 10 1809 without ACPI issues?

0 Likes

same issues,very disappointed

0 Likes

Yes we have just released new Raid drivers that are compatible with 1809 and fix the BSOD issue. I tested setting up Raid on two systems using Build 1809 and Raid driver version 9.2.0-00087. Here were the steps I followed.

System 1:

1950X

Asus Zenith Extreme

2x nVME as Boot OS Drive Raid 0

2x SSDs in Raid 1

1x SSD as Raidable

1x SSD as Volume

Steps:

1. BIOS > Boot > Enable CSM Uefi and Legadcy OPROM > UEFI Driver First For Each Option

2. Enable Secure Boot /WHQL

3. BIOS > RaidXpert2 > Delete all arrays/drives in the BIOS. Initialise all drives.

4. Create Bootbale nVME array.

5. Create Raid 1 array.

6. Create Raidable drive for future potential raid.

7. Create volume drive as JBOD.

8. Begin Windows 10 1809 USB Install.

9. Load nVME and Raid Sata Driver 9.2.0-00087 (713kb file size on download page)

10. Install Windows to nVME drives.

11. Upon Windows Boot, go to disk management and bring the Raid 1, Raidable and Volume drives online, formatting them and giving them drive numbers so they are visible to Windows.

12. Install Chipset drivers, restart, install RaidXpert2 nVME and Sata package, restart.

13. Update Windows.

System working as expected, no issues.

System 1:

1920X

Asus Zenith Extreme

1x nVME as Boot OS Drive (outside of the array)

2x SSDs in Raid 1

1x SSD as Raidable

Steps:

1. BIOS > Boot > Enable CSM Uefi and Legadcy OPROM > UEFI Driver First For Each Option

2. Enable Secure Boot /WHQL

3. BIOS > RaidXpert2 > Delete all arrays/drives in the BIOS. Initialise all drives.

4. Disable nVME Raid in BIOS.

5. Create Raid 1 array.

6. Create Raidable drive for future potential raid.

8. Begin Windows 10 1809 USB Install.

9. Load Sata Raid Only Driver 9.2.0-00087 (712b file size on download page)

10. Install Windows to nVME drive.

11. Upon Windows Boot, go to disk management and bring the Raid 1, and Raidable drives online, formatting them and giving them drive letters so they are visible to Windows.

12. Install Chipset drivers, restart, install RaidXpert2 Sata Raid only package, restart.

13. Update Windows.

System working as expected, no issues.

0 Likes
bogdi1988
Adept II

My issue disappeared initially when I got rid of my SATA drives and only kept NVME. I have since wanted to add additional NVME drives and added 2x of turn on a PCIe splitter card. As soon as I did that, issue occurred again. Tried removing those new drives and issue persisted. At the moment I've pretty much given up on this and have come to accept that there's something really messed up in the RAID implementation and just live with the broken shut down and restart.

0 Likes
bogdi1988
Adept II

FYI, new drivers released yesterday. Restart still broken even with new ones

0 Likes

I helped a customer that was experiencing the same issue as you on the MSI X399 Carbon motherboard. It turns out he did not setup Raid correctly as per the instructions listed in the RaidXpert documentation. His Boot/OS drive was not the first drive listed/configured in RaidXpert2 in the BIOS. https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-raidxpert2_user_guide.pdf

As soon as he deleted everything and setup his Boot OS drive as a Volume drive, and then setup his additional SSD Sata Raid drives, everything worked as expected.

"If the system is booted from an AMD-RAID bootable array, the first array in the Arrays section must be the bootable array. The system boots only from the first array in the Arrays section. As necessary, use the Swap Two Arrays feature to swap arrays and place the RAIDXpert2 bootable array in the first position."

0 Likes

Here's my array order. I was looking in BIOS for the feature to swap arrays to re-arrange them again just to be on the safe side and that feature is missing unless I am looking in the wrong place. The User Guide is pretty poorly written so it's quite hard to follow it.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Yes I could not find that feature either inside the Zenith. I think that feature is mostly available on our internal motherboards which is what motherboard manufacturer's base their designs off.

believe RaidXpert2 lists the arrays in the order they were created. Here is what my configuration looks like.

pastedImage_1.png

From looking at your screenshot everything looks okay. Perhaps in your case something is not setup correctly in the BIOS. If you are using an adapter card to fit 4x nVME drives inside, did you set up the PCI-E lanes option in the BIOS correctly?

In your case I would ask MSI to try and reproduce your issue and provide them with clear and detailed reproduction steps using identical hardware one by one that they can follow.

0 Likes

MSI support is pretty worthless to be honest. Some of the worst I've seen.

I would have thought that maybe AMD since you guys have direct access to the vendors would help bridge that gap and help with the communication etc.

0 Likes

bogdi1988​ What does your dismgmt.msc screen look like with those arrays? Is it possible that your boot partition is on another drive? It's the boot partition that needs to be in Array 1, not the OS partition (I think).

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

I don't think disk management reveals anything useful as it appears as though mine is in the wrong order with my Boot drive showing last in the list.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Agreed that the ordering is useless, however it was more to identify which drive the EFI boot partition is on as RaidXpert2 doesn't show that information. Unfortunately it does look like bogdi1988's boot partition is indeed on Array 0. The plot thickens.

0 Likes

Please try disabling rcpopup using Windows Task Manager. Now try restarting the system after disabling this and let me know if it fixes your issue. You may need to restart a second time before you see different behaviour.

0 Likes

Negative ghost rider Same behavior.

0 Likes

Can you try uninstalling the PCI Driver? Follow these steps to do it.

Select Modify.

pastedImage_0.png

Uncheck everything apart from AMD PCI Device Driver, restart system.

pastedImage_3.png

Test.

0 Likes

Negative ghost rider

0 Likes

So amdmatt​ I finally got things running properly.

I tried making an image backup of the Windows partition using the Windows built in tools. Delete all RAID arrays and then in BIOS, recreate and restore. Restart still broken.

Removed all arrays again, create in BIOS, and then fresh Windows 10 1803 install using .87 drivers and restart works as expected now. So it looks like something gets messed up on the Windows side. Glad I can finally use my computer without the fear of having to reinstall Windows all over again.

Did you send this restart broken Windows image to AMD ?

May be can help amd to reproduce this issue

0 Likes

He was able to resolve the issue, but do you continue to experience this issue? If so, please send me a private message on the forum so i can collect more information.

0 Likes

The only fix is a complete wipe, RAID rebuild and reinstall unfortunately.

0 Likes