cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RAID critical error message when Booting up

I had a system built for me and it has 2 SSD's. They set up RAID (AMD motherboard)) for those, and I believe it is RAID 1 (mirror)  How can I tell whether it is RAID 1 5 or 10 they set up (leaving aside number of Disk )  as they never told me.

Anyway when I booted up there is a text message on screen saying "Warning there is a critical error in the array".

It then goes on to boot to WINDOWS 10 ok and all appears hunky dory.  I then rebooted and went Ctrl R and went into RAID Bios.  It tells me one of drives is online and other is ready.  Now I am now sure what either means ,but one would assume ready means ready but not in use. I there fiddled around with that drive and whatever I did it then showed up in Computer Management (Storage) in Windows 10, which it hadn't before I guess because was in RAID.  Anyway then then went back into RAID bios and "initialized" that drive. Anyway whatever I did when I booted up later the message had done to "normal " when booting up so assumed all ok.  To be sure I went into RAID Bios again and indeed now BOTH drives showed as being "online"  . Out of BIOS and rebooted and message still was "Normal".

However this morning (next day) I rebooted and all as reverted to "warning critical error in array .Critical R/W"  

and within RAID Bios one is "ready" and one drive "online". DOH !.  The only thing I had done on computer day before was clone the drive to external and add some data to computer from another computer.

What could be causing this ?. I doubt it is one of SSD's as when it did shown up I used "SPECCY" and it showed both drives OK etc . It MUST therefore be something to do with RAID I assume ???.   

ADDED (1)  (What I have now managed to do is make the "ready" Drive a "Hot Spare" and I THINK have assigned as spare to the other drive (which is RAID Bios is marked as "critical" although I guess that means the Array is "critical" and not drive 1)  and so NOW both drives show in same array and both "online" in green letters . I THINK it may be that drive 1 now gradually rebuilds onto drive 2 (the one I made hot spare }  Am I  on right lines perhaps ?

ADDED (2)  OK , just as this may help someone with the same problem  . SUCCESS  !!. Well for now anyway.

What I did at "ADDED (1) immediately above,Succeeded.   NOW when I Boot the message comes up as "Normal". I will check in RAID Bios now and.........Bingo, both show as "online" in Green letters and the word "CRITICAL" in red letters has gone. SO question now is WHY did it slip back ?.  I am presuming my making the 2nd disk a "hot spare" and then assigning it to the Array with the ONLY disk left being marked in red (likely because it was a lone disk)  it then slowly rebuilt the 2nd disk and now is happy it is back to being a RAID 1 with 2 disks mirrored. 

BY THE WAY I did not replace or change any Disk. I had 2 disks. I made educated guess as to which Disk was the one that was containing the OS and data (Disk 1) and,  which Disk (Disk 2) was MEANT to be the Mirror in the pair (i.e. RAID 1) . Disk 1 was in red letters marked Critical in RAID Bios and Disk 2 simply said "Ready". So I INITIALISED Disk 2 through the option in RAID Bios. 

THEN I assigned the Newly INITIALISED Disk 2 (Note DISK 2)   as a "Hot Spare" and THEN I added it to the Array (i.e. the DISK 1 in red marked as Critical  It (Disk 1)  was marked as Critical in red letters NOT because it itself was faulty BUT because it was a sole HD in a supposed RAID 1 Array )  .   I then rebooted and left the computer for couple hours HOPING it would rebuild Disk 2 as a Mirror AND IT DID !.  I did reboot after about 15 mins to see if had been sorted but hadn't SO I left for 2 more hours    (Presuming that it would take that long to rebuild EVEN THOUGH it did NOT tell me it was rebuilding I only guessed it might be)   and then rebooted and Bingo all ok. I can only GUESS it did Rebuild ?. Anyone know otherwise ??

Any ideas welcome thanks.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Well it is the next day after I posted above. I booted up today (having shut computer down) and i again showed te "Warning. Critical R/W   etc etc" as I booted . It then went to windows. I restarted and did Ctrl R and went into the RAID bios.  I find that Disk 1 is back to red letters saying "RAID1 CRITICAL R/W" and the Disk 2 shows now only as "Ready" . So it has slipped Back from "Online" in Green along with Disk 1 yesterday TO the afore.  Again I have initialised Disk 2 and seen whether goes back to normal.  Strange MAYBE there is a problem with Disk 2 , OR maybe it is the RAID setup at fault ?.

Anyone got any advice ?.

0 Likes

Well it DID go back to normal, but yet again after shutting computer down and rebooting to now again comes up as Critical.  Hardly inspiring confidence.  Maybe the Drive 2 which I set as Hot Spare is faulty ?

0 Likes

Well today it went back to "normal"  (i.e. the message get when booting up before goes to windows)   and then Re Started a few times and still "normal". However when I shut down and then rebooted it went back to giving a "Critical" message. I have a feeling that there is NOT a fault with the 2nd drive, instead I think it is something to do with the mirror not completing and thus gives message "Critical"  . Wonder why takes so long then to mirror the data I put on Drive 1 (in the Raid 1)  TO the mirror drive Drive 2 ?.  

Come on someone give me some ideas .  I will now leave the computer live/online for few hours and see IF it goes back to "normal" message .

0 Likes

OK now only 20 minutes later than my last post and the message when I Re Started (NOT shut down and re booted) is now  "Normal" . OK so now the big test I will shut down and then reboot as that is when often it goes back to "Critical" even when was "Normal" before shutdown.  Lets see:   Well now again shows as "critical". Hmm. 

0 Likes

Well the one thing I can say is this. WHEN I shutdown Computer the message "Array is Critical" (or similar message)  comes up when I  TURN COMPUTER ON AGAIN.   Then if I leave it for an uncertain  time I Restart (not shutdown) it will eventually come back with message simply saying array is "normal".  Then restart and still" normal" and can do several restarts and comes up normal.  HOWEVER if I now shutdown (not restart) and THEN start computer up again it comes back as critical. That is the loop it goes in .    What can be causing this ???

0 Likes
kaziu
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have similar problem like above. 

My configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H 

Disks: 2x 1TB SAMSUNG SSD SATA in RAID1 Array.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 with Radeon Graph

System: Windows 10

I have statement "Warning there is a critical error in the array". When i enter RAID Management (ctrl+R) I see:

Array 1 in critical, and Two SSD disks: First SSD is Ready, Second SSD is Online.

When Windows 10 boot AmdRaidXpert show message about critical state of Array 1. When I enter AmdRaidXpert I see that First SSD is Removed from Array (and ready on disks list), in Array was only Second SSD. I make transform of RAID 1 Array and select both SSD's. Array was transform and both disks was online, after reboot everything was ok RAID1 Array was "NORMAL". But when I shutdown computer the same situation happened again. And again I transform Array....and again after shutdown my RAID1 array goes to critical. Does anybody know a solution to this problem? 

0 Likes