cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

prosupam
Journeyman III

Raid 1 single disk data recovery made impossible due to AMD proprietary file system?

I have finally managed to set up a Raidexpert2 based HDD raid 1 on a 5900X/B550. Windows 10 runs on a separate NVMe PCIe4.0 SSD. There were many issues and the overall experience was not pleasant. It is now running quite well, and I started to feel happy. 

While I was at this, with brand new system and no critical data yet on it, I decided to test what happens in case of problem. I faked a MB out of service and the need to move my disks to another system. Good idea to check this apparently because ... I simply could not succeed. 

As opposed to Intel RST raid solution it seems the AMD raidexpert2 raid 1 solution is QUITE proprietary. I could not find any documentation on what kind of stuff happens in an AMD simple RAID 1. Going the experimental way, I found that extracted AMD raid 1 disks cannot be read on simple AHCI configuration.  I also tried to connect the disk to a linux based nas : file system not recognized and on several other RAID system: file system not recognized, through a USB external HDD case : file system not recognized. In all cases, the sytems recognize the disk itself but nothing of what is in it.

Some recovery software seem to be able to overcome those issues. So far, I did not decide to pay the license fee and cannot confirm they would work all the way. While testing the free trial versions, I found that they mention some LINUX stuff (I am using windows and never had any linux installation around except in my NAS). So it would seem that AMD 4 B550 is using some linux file system stuff down below while window operates NTFS on top?!?!?!? What a confusing situation...

By comparison, extracted intel RST raid 1 single disk can be immediately read on any AHCI configuration and virtually anything...Intel is right : the whole purpose of simple RAID 1 is to make sure that the data is protected as much as can be. That should include disks that are easy to read individually in the most standard possible way in every sytem.

I am sure AMD sees it the same way. So there must be a procedure to read an AMD RAID 1 single disk when extracted from its original AMD RAIDEXPERT2 B550 system. I would be very grateful if someone could help me on this...

0 Likes
3 Replies
prosupam
Journeyman III

So...does anyone know how to read an AMD raid 1 extracted from a B550 chipset? 

0 Likes
prosupam
Journeyman III

So...does anyone know how to read a disk extracted from a B550 chipset raid 1

0 Likes
Derp667
Journeyman III

Did you ever find a solution?  I, too, was shocked to discover that the disks generated in raidXpert2 are complete black boxes to any non AMD-RAID motherboard.  Largely defeats the purpose.

In testing, I find that windows software RAID outperforms it anyway (at least in simple mirror).  Of course, standard windows disk mirroring has its own problems, such as it gives NO WARNING if it loses redundancy due to loss of a drive.

0 Likes