cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

garyggl58
Adept I

RadeonSoftware.exe - Bad Image atiadlxx.dll identified/Error 0xc000012f.

First post & haven't built a system in 11 years, many cobwebs to shack out.  The build went great and I loaded the latest version of Windows 10 pro (fully updated).  I downloaded the latest AMD Graphics Drivers recommended for my CPU (AMD Auto Detect) and received the following message after loading the drivers - "RadeonSoftware.exe - Bad Image c:\Windows\SYSTEM32\atiadlxx.dll is either not designed to run Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again [I did and failed] etc., etc. Error status 0xc000012f.  

Some of my build details - all installed yesterday:

• CPU - Ryzen 7 5700G
  • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
  • Samsung 980 NVME SSD
  • 32gb RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro (21H1, build 19043.1165)
  • BIOS: 7C91vA81
  • Chipset Driver: 3.08.17.735
  • AMD Graphics Adrenalin 21.6.1 (WHQL) - attempted 

I'm not sure how to go forward from here.  Should I try the 21.8.2 drivers - even though they are considered "optional"?  The release notes do not make mention on this error/fix though.  I have run into no other errors.  In the meantime, the Windows Graphics Driver seems to be running just fine - but who wants to use the Windows driver?

Full disclosure - I'm 58 and my 23yr old son says the community boards are where the answers are at and that the community will be kind to a builder with basic skills. 

Please point me in the right direction! Thx

0 Likes
16 Replies

Might be a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

first download the full AMD Driver for your Ryzen 5700G APU Processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-5000-g-series-desktop-processors...

Once you downloaded the full AMD Driver do the following steps:

1-Make sure Windows is fully updated via Windows Update including the Optional updates

2- Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3711

3-Disconnect the internet from your PC to prevent Windows Update from installing a different AMD Driver and delete the created installation folder at C:\AMD to prevent any conflict with the new AMD driver installation.

4-Now run DDU in Safe Mode (Best option) or from your Desktop. Once DDU finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver and boots back up into Windows Desktop you should now be using MS Basic Display Adapter as your Graphics driver in Device Manager.

5-Run the downloaded full AMD Driver package. Once it installs successfully reconnect the Internet to your PC  and again delete the newly created AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD.

You should be good to go unless you get the same or a different error again. If you do please post back again.

NOTE: Just some suggestions since you haven't built a PC in 11 years.

Check to see if the 32GB RAM MEMORY set or Part number you have installed is listed on your Motherboard's QVL List for the RX5x00G RAM MEMORY: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#support-mem-22

But if your computer is working fine and the Ram is not listed on the QVL List, then most likely it is listed on the RAM manufacturer's website for being compatible with your processor and motherboard. IF not listed on the RAM Manufacturer website then just keep an eye for any type of RAM issues due to not being fully compatible if it should occur in the future.

I also see you installed the latest BETA BIOS for your motherboard. I personally would skip installing BETA BIOS unless I have no other choice to fix an issue due to BIOS. BETA BIOS can sometimes be rather buggy at times is the reason why.

Anyways, hopefully by doing a complete uninstalling and installing of the full AMD Package will solve your issue.

EDIT: I noticed at MSI Support for your Motherboard, MSI has a AMD Graphics driver from 07/28/2021 to download but I would use AMD first since it is newer.

0 Likes

Well, I gave it a good shot and I appreciated the thorough response.  I followed the steps to the letter plus attempting a couple of variations - to no avail.  After following the steps and installing AMD Graphics Adrenalin 21.6.1 (WHQL), I received the "blue screen" repeatedly.  The options being either Troubleshoot or Restart, again.

I had my computer geek son watch over my shoulder (I love the builds, he loves programming) and we had the same results.

The Windows Basic Display Drivers allows my system to function.  However, this R7 5700G can be so much more.  I'm kind of bummed.  

Maybe, the recently released 21.9.1 drivers will get me there.  This is interesting.

Why don't you open a AMD Warranty Ticket and see if they believe your APU needs to be RMAed to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

It is possible you received a DOA processor.

0 Likes

I guess that it is possible that the processor works but the graphics side doesn't.  Maybe, the RMA will motivate AMD to give me a hand.

0 Likes

By the way what is the exact BSOD errors you are getting?

Also is the RAM Memory modules you have installed on your motherboard's QVL List for the 5000 Series APU processors as being compatible or listed at the RAM Memory's Manufacturer Support as being compatible with your motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#support-mem-22

Screenshot 2021-09-09 090603.png

If the BSOD errors are related to Memory is could be due incompatible RAM sticks.

Also AMD Warranty takes affect once your Retailer/Vendor's Warranty expires or return date ends. If you purchased a Official AMD Retail Box processor you have a 3 year Warranty.

Anyways, maybe AMD might be able to decided if you APU needs to be checked or not.

EDIT: By the way I looked up that Error code 0X12F. This is the explanation from this tech site: https://www.howto-connect.com/fix-vhd_boot_initialization_failed-error-bsod-windows-10/

"Fix: VHD_BOOT_INITIALIZATION_FAILED Error BSOD in Windows 10

Did your desktop unexpectedly restart and display VHD_BOOT_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error in the screen? If the same occurs it means you encounter BSOD which commonly also leads to frequent freezing of Windows 10. This is one of the most vulnerable issues and Microsoft identified it with respective bug check value. Like many others, the code for this one is 0x0000012F. Experts are with a view that it represents the phenomena of initialization failure when a user performs boot from VHD.

VHD_BOOT_INITIALIZATION_FAILED BSOD error is evolved primarily when you have some old, outdated and problematic device drivers. But reality shows that it is not confined within this single cause only. Rather, missing system resources, corrupted OS files, DLL components, virus removing necessary data from Disk storage, conflict of few similar applications will cause this issue as well. From the Hardware side, if there is any defective portion detected in the volume or if it runs in a very low space due to junk accumulation, you might receive this error. The issue is found to cause permanent damage to Windows and hence, it needs immediate treatment. Therefore, we are here today to elaborate some workarounds resolving this annoying issue. Let’s begin to resolve –"

The article explains some tips on how to fix the issue.

So it probably isn't your APU. I would check the RAM Memory and also run in a elevated Command Prompt - SFC /scannow to check your Windows OS for corruptions or missing Windows core files.

Just for Troubleshooting purposes, remove all but one RAM Memory module and see if you now can install the AMD Graphics driver successfully without any PC crashes or BSODs.

If you can then that seems to indicate incompatible RAM Memory with more then two sticks in your motherboard.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

After DDU in safe mode without network, deactivate Windows Update, deactivate BIOS quick start and set the PCI Express from Auto to Gen 3 or 4. Then install the Radeon driver. With me all drivers run fine in Windows, only in the game Valhalla the 21.6.1 is so far without problems, the newer ones not.

I believe that you are on the right track with the memory modules:  The ones that I purchased were: 

TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Za (Alpha) 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 Dram 4000MHz (PC4-32000) CL18 Desktop Memory Module Ram for AMD Ryzen TDZAD432G4000HC18LDC01

Those modules supposedly are compatible with my APU/motherboard combination.  However, my system will only run stable if I back down the speed from 4000 MHz to 2400 MHz -- acceptable in the short term, but not for the long term.  The shame here is that the windows basic graphics driver runs stable at the higher 4000 MHz level.

So, for now, the AMD graphics drivers 21.8.2 are running fine at the lower clock speeds.  Hopefully, an update will solve this?!  Your suggestions are getting me there and are greatly appreciated.  BTW - I did run the SFC command a few days ago with no errors showing.

According to your Motherboard's QVL List for the 5000G/GE processor for RAM MEMORY your motherboard supports 4000Mhz:

Screenshot 2021-09-21 175910.png

Its SPD Speed is 2400Mhz so something is differently wrong.

Looking at your MSI Motherboard's Spec for RAM MEMORY to get 4000Mhz you need to do the following under A-XMP OC:

Screenshot 2021-09-21 175910.png

I am not familiar with MSI BIOS A-XMP Settings but it seems you need to set A-XMP to 2DPC-1R to get 4000Mhz from your RAM Memory.

If you have done this already then I suggest you open a MSI Support ticket and see if your Motherboard needs to be RMAed and checked if it is defective since you do have compatible RAM installed from the QVL List.

You are amazing - your answers are thoughtful and detailed.  Now, I have more work to do!

Thx!

I've been running my system ram @ 3600MHz (sans A-XMP OC, I just set it manually) and it appears that all is stable.  After reading your post, I did jump over to "Actually Hardware Overclocking" and received a major dose/tutorial on DDR4 memory channels, ranks & layouts... an interesting hour that brought back some uncomfortable and (up until now) successfully suppressed flashbacks from my first HS chemistry class.

Thank you for your additional research, parts verification, and suggestions.  Hopefully, a future bios/chipset update along with some additional research on my part will guide me toward 4000MHz nirvana.

Thank you, again, for donating your time & effort to help an unknown!

A-XMP automatically over-clocks the RAM Memory safely. Just need to enable to correct RAM Profile.

I don't overclock anything unless I know exactly what I am doing since you can damage the hardware being Overclocked. But like you I also manually overclocked my RAM from SPD speed to the speed rated by the RAM I have, 3600Mhz.

In my case I just needed to change a  couple BIOS Settings to accomplish it. In my Asus Motherboard BIOS I can choose various speeds for RAM memory. So I selected 3600Mhz and then under FCLK which is 50% slower than the RAM Speed I inputted 1800Mhz. I have had no issues so far.

Asus has something similar to A-XMP which is called DOCP. But many Users were having issues using DOCP including myself thus I manually overclocked my Ram.

If for some reason you input incorrect data when Overclocking,  BIOS will generally catch it and revert to the SPD speed automatically until you input the correct parameters for Overclocking the RAM. But still you can still input incorrect parameters but not enough for BIOS to reject it but then you will have all types of RAM issues when you boot into Windows.

Just for your information to get the best performance out of the 3000 Series  Ryzen processors (Sweet Spot) the best speed is 3600Mhz with FCLK at 1800Mhz.

The best Sweet Spot for the Ryzen 2000 series  processors is 3200Mhn with a FCLK of 1600Mhz for the best performance.

But according to PC Magazine article the Sweet Spot for the 5000 Series Processors is 4000Mhz: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5000-cpus-may-run-best-with-faster-ddr4-4000-memory/

You can download a RAM MEMORY Program that gives you all the Data to input for various RAM Speeds to overclock the Memory.

It is called Thaiphoon RAM Tool.

By the way, Good luck in reaching 4000Mhz which will give your 5000 Series processors the best performance.

Also this is the reason for Forums when Users to can help other Users with their problems.

You are right about the A-XMP -- I enabled that and it should have set up a "safe" maximum clock profile.  Indeed, it set up 4000MHz -- then, crash & burn.  Per your idea, I will try and play with the FCLK setting since I did notice that option in the MSI BIOS.  What can go wrong?

Thank you for the RAM program suggestion - I'll mess with that one and see what trouble I can get myself into.

I saw the same pc mag article (among others) which was why I went with the 4000MHz ram -- hence, my annoyance -- sigh!

U R Da' Best!

In your case FCLK should be 2000Mhz for the correct speed for 4000Mhz.

0 Likes
garyggl58
Adept I

Thank you for the thorough update - I will get right on this!