cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jbond
Journeyman III

RadeonSettings - Error on startup (0xc0000142)

Hi community,

for some time I now get this error message on each startup (see screenshot). ('Application could not be started correctly. (0xc0000142) )

There are no further errors - and after the error message I am able to start Radeon Settings manually - only this error message is annoying.

I already updated the Radeon software several times - also did a complete deinstall and new installation. But the error remains the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JB

System:

Win10 (64bit)

ADM Radeon R9-280x

Radeon Software: Adrenalin 18.3.4

0 Likes
1 Solution

This links give some good tips on how to resolve the error. FIX: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) - Appuals.com

But before you do that try this first:

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your GPU Card.

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This links give some good tips on how to resolve the error. FIX: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) - Appuals.com

But before you do that try this first:

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your GPU Card.

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.

jbond
Journeyman III

Thanks - with DDU I did another "clean" reinstall... and now no more error.

dgreen97
Adept I

By sheer luck I found one article that had mention of a registry entry that could have been changed that could be the cause of this issue. I don't know how they expect people who install new hardware to possibly know about this problem and fix it themselves. It's a joke.

https://devsjournal.com/the-application-was-unable-to-start-correctly-0xc0000142.html

Try this to see if it works. So far it has been working for me thank god.

Here, we will check if the reg key is incorrectly switched due to some error, and make the necessary changes. Follow the steps given below.

1. Open Run command (Shortcut: Windows + R), type regedit and hit enter.

2. Once here, navigate to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs

3. Double click on LoadAppInit_DLL, and inside the Value Data box, change value from 1 to 0.

4. Save your changes, exit and try launching your application or game.

I was getting this error on a bunch of different windows applications and anything that was trying to update like creative cloud, battlenet, etc. After I changed this registry entry to a 0 from a 1, those have gone away.

0 Likes