Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Radeon VII spikes to 2662mhz?

Hello,

Just testing some games on the newest driver and the core spikes to 2662mhz? Even if I downclock the value it makes no difference.

So basically for example in Dawn of War, 4K 60hz the core fluctuates from 600mhz to 2662mhz? What the hell is going off here?

This is the main reason why the new GPU's just randomly cut off with a black screen, I don't want no 2662mhz that's too much.

Bloody hell AMD this is a complete joke.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Maybe  introduced a "BOOST" clock for the Radeon VII so unrealistic peak Game Clocks and TFLOP numbers can be in the specs for the card?

I think it is a longstanding Wattman Bug.
I remember Gamers Nexus complaining about ridiculously high clocks reported bty Wattman on Vega GPUs at launch, with people reporting very high overclocks with undervolts. 

I have seem similar very high clock spikes on RX Vega 64 Liquid GPUs.
I think it was also noted as a problem for Radeon VII GPU.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply

We also used other methods to log the core speed values, MSI, GPUZ, even a fresh DDU and install with no wattman activated its the same result?

We can see the junction temp rise at an insane rate when the core spikes to 2662mhz.

It looks like it thermal throttles back down to 800mhz, then loops again every second.

Going from the FuryX to a VII feels like a huge downgrade, absolute pisstake.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update here.

We need the 'Power Efficiency' option for the VII that's hidden in the driver.  

0 Likes
TaperHarley
Adept I

Hello,

I have Gigabyte x470 motherboard, 2700x cpu with 32 gigs of ram.

I have a Sapphire card, I've had it for years it's always been stable on windows and for almost 3 years under linux. A month ago it started crashing. I changed the power supply, (the card seems to work ok in an am3 mobo) so I changed the mobo to gigabyte b550m, I even swapped out the old SSD for a new one.
I use linux; Fedora logs me off when the video driver crashes. On Garuda the whole system crashes, on Manjaro with the Real Time kernel it appears to bit a bit more stable but it also crashes.

I game on the card, I tried undervolting it using Corectrl, I also tried capping the min clock to 1500 and max clock to 1800 when I noticed that running just one browser the Gpu usage spikes every few seconds from 0-40% the Gpu clock goes from 800-to 29xx when that happens!!! That's when the card crashes.

Is there a fix for that?

0 Likes