cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thatnerdgui
Adept I

Radeon VII poor OpenGL performance and unstable frequencies

I've been experiencing issues with OpenGL where both core and memory frequency are all over the place and thus the performance is just terrible. Sometimes frequencies will also go pass way beyond their limitations which is something not present with any other API. This behavior is present in both Win10 and Linux. On Linux, forcing the core frequency to be constant improves the performance to ~200% sometimes. I can't do the same test on Win10 since it seems there's no software what will allow me to do this. To put how bad the performance is, my 6 y/o GTX 770 2GB outperforms the Radeon VII in these cases, even on Linux. So far it's been a frustrating experience since some software I frequently use for productivity workloads even show this behavior, unless the old card is constrained by it's low VRAM of course. I'm using Win10 latest updates, R7 2700X and 19.6.1 drivers since every 19.7.X driver I've tried is pretty much broken. Any help would be really appreciated.

3 Replies

Me to ! I had the gtx770 (old) with better OpenGL performance than my AMD gpu (RX 580)... OpenGL from AMD in Windows is BAd, very bad ! (Vulkan & DX12 are GReat !)

qwixt
Forerunner

Looking at the 19.7.3 issues for known and fixed, you can see several entries for the VII. I think AMD really messed up the VII with the 5700 implementation and addition to the drivers, and now that the VII has effectively been put on end of life status, the VII will forever be the redheaded stepchild of AMD GPUs.

The last good driver for me, which still has a few bugs, is the 19.4.3 driver. My experience with the VII has soured me to anything by AMD. They just can't write drivers.

Same, and the support I've recieved so far leave a lot to be desired. This is one of the many issues I have with my card and 3 weeks after contacting support I still don't have a solution. 

0 Likes