cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cerebral_malfunction
Journeyman III

Radeon VII, Linux Mint 19.2 ... how to configure? many problems

Just bought a new computer. Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon VII, MSI x470 Gaming Plus motherboard

Running Linux Mint 19.2, I have tried several kernel versions and several drivers, I don't know how to determine which drivers I have running atm.

Firstly, OpenCL poor performance and bugs.

Luxmark's hotel scene gets a score of 3500 on the Radeon which is bloody awful (other Radeon VII users report at least 6900, up to 7300 ish). Blender Cycles is performing roughly %50 slower then my GTX 1050, and worse it is giving strange NaN pixels that don't show up on the 1050 with the same build and the same project file.

Also webgl is broken in firefox, i can force webgl 1.0 but webgl 2.0 just won't work.

memtestCL didn't find any problems and the checksum in luxmark didn't report a problem either so I'm %90 sure the hardware isn't physically damaged at least. I have run rocm-smi while cycles and luxmark are running, fan and temperature and power and clock are all much lower then i would expect, but I have confirmed it IS rendering on the GPU and not the CPU.

What the hell has happened here?? What's the best way to clear out my whole graphics driver stack and replace it with the "recommended" stack? (ideally without reinstalling linux completely) and what IS the "recommended" stack?

PS: my USB soundcard also exhibits crackling which it doesn't on the other computer under the same OS. spent about a week trying to fix just that, no dice. I'm gonna blame the GPU for that too for now since it's the only real X factor in this system.

0 Likes
1 Reply
TaperHarley
Adept I

Hello,

It's been 3 years since you posted this, I guess you know by now that the video driver is baked into the kernel. You CAN use the amdgpu-pro driver. On arch and fedora based linux  you can use the kernel driver and install the opencl driver separately.

I answer every thread with my story, because I keep hearing how the card crashes while mine didn't and I don't see much movement on these threads. Maybe they'll block my posts for spamming

I have Gigabyte x470 motherboard, 2700x cpu with 32 gigs of ram.

I have a Sapphire card, I've had it for years it's always been stable. A month ago it started crashing. I changed the power supply, (the card seems to work ok in an am3 mobo) so I changed the mobo to gigabyte b550m, I even swapped out the old SSD for a new one.
I use linux; Fedora logs me off when the video driver crashes. On Garuda the whole system crashes, on Manjaro with the Real Time kernel it appears to bit a bit more stable but it also crashes.

I game on the card, I tried undervolting it using Corectrl, I also tried capping the min clock to 1500 and max clock to 1800 when I noticed that running just one browser the Gpu usage spikes every few seconds from 0-40% the Gpu clock goes from 800-to 29xx when that happens!!! That's when the card crashes.

The sound also stutters.

0 Likes