cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ryeloc
Adept II

Radeon VII HBM2 Memory Frequency Issue

I noticed something strange today, I was playing Sea of Thieves and noticed lower normal than performance. I pulled up Wattman and my Memory Frequency was at 350, bouncing sometimes to 800 then back down. I switched over to Overwatch, and then World of Warcraft same issue. Tried rebooting and other things but nothing, I had a custom profile, so I reset back to default.. then fixed.. hmm. Loaded my profile and it did the same thing, back to 350mhz. I then put the fans to auto, and baaam, 1000MHz memory... put the fans back no manual, memory stayed at 1000MHz for a few mins, then returned to the 350MHz behavior. Reloaded profile, (same profile) back to 350Mhz with degraded performance. Turned fans to automatic, right back to 1000. Anyone else noticing this issue? Sea of Thieves drops about 20FPS when I go to 350MHz which is why I noticed it I assume. I've tried many combinations and anytime I set the custom fan profile it does it again right away.

Hardware:
Graphics card: Radeon VII 16GB
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Drive1: Samsung - 970 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive2: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive3: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: Corsair HX850i Platnium + Type 3 Cables
Monitor 1: LG 32" 32GK650F 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case

Software:
Windows 10 64 bit 1809
Radeon Software Version: 19.4.1
Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed
Motherboard BIOS: 7B79vA9

0 Likes
5 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

Have you tried reinstalling the driver? I would the regular uninstall and reinstall. If it still didn't work, I would try using DDU to clean up too, then reinstall.

0 Likes

I tried DDU but the same thing happens.Soon as I go to manual fans, it will degrade memory performance. Automatic fans resolve the issue right away.

0 Likes

Have tried creating a new custom profile? It sounds like you keep using the same one.

0 Likes

All the profiles where gone after the DDU operation. I just created a new one, put fans on manual and the issue came right back. When I say I created a new one, I basically just clicked "manual" control on the fans, and the issue came right back. All other settings still in default state. I'll try some older drivers, or maybe 19.4.3, using Automatic fans is an easy work around, but seems like it's a bigger issue. I'm not sure if I'm only affected or what... if I am, I have no idea what's causing it. I disabled my second monitor, and the issue still happens. Disabled anything with hardware acceleration and the issue still happens.

0 Likes

how is it with the fan maxed at 100%

0 Likes