Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aliciaburrito
Journeyman III

Radeon VII Core Overclock Broken | 19.7.5 Last Working Version

Hi all,

• Issue Description: On driver versions newer than 19.7.5 on Radeon VII, core overclocking from WattMan or third party applications no longer works. It also seems that the stock boosts don't go as high either, causing gimped performance. 19.7.5 is the latest version where overclocking still works properly. Latest 19.11.1 does not appear to address the issue.
  • Hardware: Radeon VII | i9 9900KS | Asus Maximus XI Extreme
  • Software: Windows 10 [10.0.18362.418]

This issue has been documented before, and it's likely that it has been reported on these forums prior. I was unable to find anything, so I figured I would report it. You can find the bulk of the discussion regarding this issue here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1717848-official-amd-radeon-vii-owner-s-club-172.html

Hope this issue is resolved at some point, I'd really like to update to the latest version while retaining my overclock.

Thanks!

Alicia

0 Likes
4 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

Hi , 19.9.3 installed here on radeon VII + 3900X, everything ok with these ... I tested 19.11.1 , but they seem to indicate weird vram frequencies. So I tried 19.10.2 but then I had the problems with overclock , as soon as I try to push it over 1800 it goes 1700mhz

so for the moment I stay with 19.9.3 that works great

0 Likes
aliciaburrito
Journeyman III

Seems just today an update to a tool has been released that unlocks overclocking on the Radeon VII on newer driver version. Either this has been an oversight for months, or AMD is purposefully removing OC support for some reason. The drivers are fine, just that the powerplay tables that are shipped are now gimped for some reason.

If you want to fix: https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1717848-official-amd-radeon-vii-owner-s-club-174.html 

MorePowerTool – Navi and Radeon VII Tweaking and Overclocking Software | Download (Update 1.1.1) – S... 

0 Likes

ok thanks when I speak about OC , it is with morepower VII , I use the reg version , that works no  problem with 19.9.3 ... I play at 2183mhz + 1200 ram +77% power limit (if needed by one or two games, the rest of the time I don't oc), ... with wattman you can't unlock power limit >20 , but that the only limitation that it has: morepower reg is the only way to do it since the beginning , and morepower exists since the beginning it's not new at all

the thing is I tested 19.10.2 and it had problems with OC , but I'm sure it will be fixed , like the problem with the weird vram values noticed on 19.11.1 ( the other vram "problem" that is the frequencies allways stuck at 1000mhz is there for a long time but it's an identified bug by amd it's a known issue, but it really is not a problematic issue , and It seems they are working on it , ... just waiting for the next driver version)

0 Likes

This tool is to be used in conjunction with those "MorePower" and "EvenMorePower" registry edits. If you load one up, and change the third value in the "GFX Maximum (MHz)" field to the highest core speed then it will work flawlessly on the newest drivers. I haven't had any issues with this solution, works the same as prior.

I do hope this is fixed sometime, but in the meantime hope this information helps

0 Likes