cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

studiowerkz
Journeyman III

Radeon VII and blender 2.8 gpu Crash

When I first got the Radeon VII with earlier drivers it work with Blender 2.8 beta.  The whole purpose of getting this card was to take advantage of Blender, specially when this was AMD's key selling and marketing point.  Now with default setting it crashes instantly as soon as you hit render at start screen with a cube.  Anyone experiences these issues? 

Windows 10

2950x Threadripper

Radeon VII

0 Likes
8 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

Looks like the Blender beta has daily builds. Did you update blender to a more recent build?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, since I been experiencing this problem I been doing the daily updates and no luck.  I haven't ruled it out to just this card, but on my Macbook pro GPU rendering works in latest 2.8 beta.

0 Likes
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

I have pretty much the same setup except I'm using 2 Radeon VII's (Oscar-Mike V3 (Threadripper Edition) ); For testing I'm still on a 2.8 build from late Feb which was the most stable version for me. For all serious work I still resort to using 2.79b as most current (2.8) builds seem to be problematic for quite a few people.

Can't wait for a stable 2.8 build as I've grown fond of the features.

0 Likes

Yes I can not wait for stability...at work we use Mac Pro so I am use to 2.8 and almost forgotten how to use 2.79.  Eevee is quite resourceful, but at home I built this threadripper to have better hardware and speed over taking out a mortgage for a Mac for less specs.  I would like to get a second radeon VII but would like to see the gpu issue resolved.  Do you notice a significant difference with 2 cards?

0 Likes

Just a quick (Cycles) example of times. Top is my Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, followed by a single Radeon VII, and finally with both Radeon VII GPUs. Not that it matters much, but each render was a separate instance (close, open, render).pastedImage_1.png

So, it does speed things up a lot in Cycles; in Eevee there's almost no difference on this specific scene.

interesting great share...now can you fix 2.8 lol

0 Likes

New AMD update 19.5.1 so far 2.8 is working, just the annoying Kernal boot at initial render

0 Likes

I've had this problem for some time now.  19.5.3 + Blender 2.81a crashes on GPU render in under a minute.

I see this behavior on all 19.12.x versions and with blender 2.81 & 2.81a. Davinci Resolve also tends to hang with OpenCL (Radeon VII) enabled.

The system is otherwise stable under any other stress test I have been able to throw at it.

0 Likes