Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dutchy
Adept II

Radeon VII + AMD Radeon 2020 (19.12.x) causing PC to crash

Hi guys,

Since upgrading to the new AMD Radeon 2020 (19.12.3) driver, my PC is very unstable. In most games and benchmarks my screen goes black (actually in Battlefield 5 I've had most success in replicating it). After about 2-3 seconds the sound stops working and the PC either shuts down completely,hangs, or reboots itself. Using an older driver (the 2019 version) will solve the issue.

I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 motherboard

AMD Ryzen 3950x CPU

32gb (2x16gb) G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (XMP enabled)

AMD Radeon VII (stock)

So far I've tried everything. Full re-install, DDU, setting GEN3 in my BIOS. Re-installing chipset drivers. Undervolting... you name it.

Please look into this.

99 Replies
graymin
Adept II

Faulting application name: AUEPMaster.exe, version: 1950.19.15.226, time stamp: 0x5e56f9d3
Faulting module name: AUEPMaster.exe, version: 1950.19.15.226, time stamp: 0x5e56f9d3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000006bb2
Faulting process id: 0x5d54
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f5ebfbf1477c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\Performance Profile Client\AUEPMaster.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\Performance Profile Client\AUEPMaster.exe
Report Id: d24bbc41-5dff-44e1-899a-b0d2177d7dc6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: AUEPMaster.exe, version: 1950.19.15.226, time stamp: 0x5e56f9d3
Faulting module name: AUEPMaster.exe, version: 1950.19.15.226, time stamp: 0x5e56f9d3
Fault offset: 0x0000000000006bb2
Faulting process id: 0x417c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f5eb4e57a2c1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\Performance Profile Client\AUEPMaster.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\Performance Profile Client\AUEPMaster.exe
Report Id: 8442d00a-d8a0-4742-a1d5-b2d51b1fa09f

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e56fc17
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e56fc17
Fault offset: 0x0000000000408067
Faulting process id: 0x3a24
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f5eb1b31e365
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report Id: 92ef6856-8d8c-4352-bd01-49e49560fb71

The AMD User Experience Program Launcher service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

been hoping for 6 months now to get this black screen fixed

is it time to switch to NVIDIA I was going to by the valve index on the 10th but may have to settle for 2080ti really would rather not but one can only put up with this for so long

dutchy
Adept II

I sent in my Radeon VII in the end. I was done with it.

The shop also came to the same conclusion and sent the card to Asrock. I wonder what's going to happen. Hopefully I get my money back as I don't think I want a Radeon VII back.

I got my Radeon VII back from Asrock. Guess what... 100% the same problems. In fact, this card seems to be a refurb Radeon VII and the temps are way worse. Probably the bolts are not tightened enough to create pressure.

I just want my money back damnit.

0 Likes
d4vinder
Adept I

New member to the Black Screen crashing club ...on both windows and MacOS 

0 Likes

So an update, I’ve ordered some different 6-8pin connectors to see if they make a difference after my initial, failed attempt to run the Radeon VII 16GB Sapphire on a HP Z620. The HP certified 6-8 pin gpu power adapters will arrive tomorrow for my final test to ensure that the power being supplied to the Radeon VIi card is used with the HP certified adapters that don’t come cheap! 

So my testing has been as follows:

i tried a clean install of windows 10 Pro 1903, it installed to the end and allowed me to reboot to desktop. Once there, it was a matter of time before the smallest task like launching the start button caused the to display the black screen and turn the PC in to an unresponsive machine, which then, requires a reboot to recover.

i subsequently used DDU to uninstall any/all drivers and let Windows 10 choose whatever it wanted. Whilst it installed the drivers correctly and asked to reboot, after it did it barely made it 1m30s without black screening and becoming unresponsive. So then, I tried my old Nvidia K600. Swapping out the Radeon VII sapphire directly for the Nvidia K600 and rebooting made the machine stable solid. 

I also have a copy of MacOS Catalina installed on the same PC. The hackintosh install ran perfectly with Catalina 10.15.3 with an Nvidia K600 which worked smooth and natively with an OOB experience, no GPU kext or modification required.  i then swapped it with the Radeon VII Sapphire, i could boot to desktop but again, I experienced constant black screens and unresponsiveness that required a hard reboot to recover. I then put the Nvidia K600 back in and the hackintosh worked perfectly again. I then put the Radeon back in and performed a clean install of MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 this time I was greeted with flickering screens, and a setup of two unusable screens. I unplugged one of the screens and image became stable... then a few minutes later the Hackintosh black screened and became unresponsive. This happened a few times, and the pattern of having two DP outputs connected resulted in flickering and unstable image on one screen and a blue box on another. 

Now,  the black screening isn’t just a black screen. It’s actually killing the output of the card and sending the display in to sleep mode. In fact, not only is killing the output to the display, it’s also ‘bricking’ the PC. If it was just the display that was turning off, I would still be able to RDP to my windows 10 1903 build from another terminal OR I would be able to screen share from another Mac. Neither OS found the PC to connect to which means the machine was not on the network or even in a working state. A quick scan of the home network proved that the Z620 had indeed vanished off the network - (Vanished meaning it was bricked, with power on and PC fans spinning). 

So the direct correlation in this seems to be the Radeon card. Now, the card requires 300watts to function, my power supply is 800watts and the 2x6 pin supply is of 300watts. The 6-8pin connector is questionable as the wires don’t match HP proprietary connector. Once I receive the new HP 6-8 pin connector (£50 per adapter!!) I will know for sure whether it’s the Radeon VII Sapphire or whether it was the cheap eBay 6-8 pin adapter. Given that the cheap eBay adapter allowed the Radeon to boot to desktop means that there was enough power going to the Radeon VII  at boot and the launch of desktop.. but the was quickly greeted with the dreaded black screen. 

I will update soon to see if my theory was correct. 

0 Likes

UPDATE: it’s behaving exactly the same with the new 6-8 pin power adapters. 

seems like it’s gets to about 75-80 degrees then fails.

will be returning this device.  

0 Likes
timox
Adept I

Toll.PNG

AMD Release Notes 20.4.1

Disabling hardware acceleration has helped me 100%.

shyotl
Journeyman III

I updated my PowerColor Radeon VII to 20.3.1 (DDU, clean install, the works) to play Doom Eternal and boy was that a mistake. The gpu at its best has always been super finicky and hot, but with this driver my system blackscreens multiple times per day, often times when doing nothing of note. For example, when editing code in Visual Studio. Or alt-tabbing in nearly any game. Or just using Firefox. Any load, regardless of how minute, seems render the system randomly inoperable. Playing any intensive game blackscreens within minutes. Throttling games to absurdly low framerates, thus rendering 144hz freesync monitor moot, seems to help but not completely. The power limit setting seems to make no difference either. I've never had such a frustrating experience with an AMD card before, and this is coming from someone that's been using AMD/ATi gpus since the Radeon 9800 Pro days (hd4870, hd7850 and rx450 in particular being bulletproof). This card is hardly a year old from release and modern drivers have reduced it to a paperweight.

I saw no change to this behavior after updating to 20.4.1.

I've since rolled back to 19.11.3 and everything is stable again, although this brings in its own issues, such as the desktop randomly flickering which is also another persistent Radeon VII issue since basically launch. But hey, at least I can use Anti-Lag + FRTC again, which was also removed in the 2020 drivers, so there's that.

Motherboard: Asus RoG Crosshair VII Hero

GPU: PowerColor AMD Radeon VII (stock)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (stock)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G3

16 Gigs of ram

Freesync enabled

HBCC disabled

Enhanced Sync disabled

Chill disabled

0 Likes
revanchard
Journeyman III

I just upgraded from driver 19.11.3 to 20.4.1 and now my RIG crashes in different games (Red Dead, Call of Duty).

I did not experience that before upgrading.

I tested my whole PC after finding out that the problem came from the new updated driver, and reverted back to 19.11.3.

Same as you guys : appcrash from Radeonsoftware.exe after a blackscreen.

0 Likes

Same here. Currently getting a screen freeze with sound stuttering and after 2-3 seconds a reboot. So far it has only happened while playing League of Legends. Will try 19.11.3

0 Likes
revanchard
Journeyman III

Little heads up as it seems i no longer have the issue after a proper cleanup of 19.11.3 following by a fresh reinstall of 20.4.1 :

- uninstalled 19.11.3 driver in Add remove panel in Windows

- disabled my NIC to no longer have access to the Internet (in order to prevent Windows Update from downloading a graphic driver before i install 20.4.1)

- rebooted

- ran DDU v18.0.2.3 and rebooted again

- At this time i had a generic display driver installed but just to be sure and to follow DDU instruction i ran another time DDU v18.0.2.3 and rebooted again

- installed driver 20.4.1

So long i didn't have any blackscreen and no stutter.

I feel like it's ok now and probably the standard UI update just did'nt delete all of the files and dll/registry entries.

I'll keep you updated if the problem comes back.

0 Likes

Ok so a few days later my card started to crash again.

After many tests i found out that it was due to corrupted/dysfunctional part of VRAM.

So i returned my card to the seller.

0 Likes

I am using 20.4.2 now, for over a week. I played games while Folding@Home running in the background, without any crashing.

0 Likes

I think it largely depends on the software you're running as it seems AMD are patching in fixes for software that people are using the most, while I would hope they are working on a catch all fix that eradicates this problem completely.

Some older games still cause system hangs and crashes, a few of which I have purchased recently and am unable to really play.

So a few examples:

Nier Automata

Assassins Creed 2

Splinter Cell 1

There are a few other games that caused crashes prior to the most recent update but I'm not touching them until I can be sure the drivers are up to the task.

Actually it may be an idea to start a thread to compile a list of software for people to avoid until the bugs are fixed, it may help prevent people from wasting their money on products that frankly aren't compatible with these drivers.

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

I am not going to tell you to stop using the driver due to what you can get from it but. I am gonna suggest something else.

Set your driver to default

Uninstall your driver an install this one.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes

I have a Radeon VII to and it works floorless on 19.11.3 but on any of the 2020 versions my system is always crashing,

this has been going on way to long and still not fixed by AMD, I have been using and selling AMD cards for a long time now, I guess I would have sold about $70k + worth of AMD cards when I had my own computer business and I allways had the latest AMD flagship card in my own system for the last 20+ years, I feel like AMD no longer cares about their clients, issues like the Radeon VII they just push it aside like they did in this forum by marking it Assumed Answered.

Now after being a loyal AMD supporter for 20+ years I will no longer be recommending AMD cards to anyone, I am going to ditch AMD forever and buy the new INTEL gaming gard or a Nvidia 3080  when it is available. I cannot stay with a company that takes your cash and leaves you with software that's full of errors.

0 Likes
dutchy
Adept II

I got fed up with my Radeon VII and sold it to a MAC fanatic who's going to make a Hackingtosh machine. Note that I got a brand new card back from Asrock, but it still gave the same problems.

I bought a Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT SE and it works flawlessly. Well this concludes the topic for me... don't think this will be ever fixed.

0 Likes
whitewolfcan
Adept I

For me, 20.4.2 and Radeon VII seems to be quite stable, after testing various crashed-inducing driver versions from 19.12.2 to 20.2.2 (didn't try any March drivers and 20.4.1). I have been running Folding@Home and Einstein@Home for over a week, only restarted my machine in between when the Windows handle count increased to too high (over 200K) because of other applications.

Other than the manual restarts, I experienced no system nor application crashes, even when I played games with the background computing load.

Same

Me too, I've been running 20.4.2 for a few days now and it's been rock solid.