cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

koen1993
Journeyman III

Radeon (TM) RX 480: Driver crashes and occasionally disables graphics card completely

Hello,

i got a problem with my Graphics Card, when i start my system, sometimes my screens won't even turn on, other times my driver will crash whenever i watch a video or start a game. (The driver does not crash immidiatly but will continue to do so until i restart my system).

System Specs:
Graphics Card: 8GB PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Red Devil Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
Driver^: non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.10.4-win10-win11-64bit-oct28
CPU: Intel(r) Xeon(r) CPU E3-1220 v3
MoBo: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97P-D3
RAM1&2: HyperX Savage HX316C9SRK2/8 Arbeitsspeicher 8GB (1600MHz, CL9) DDR3-RAM Kit (2x4GB)
RAM3: Crucial RAM CT102464BD160B 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Desktopspeicher
PowerSupply: 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM Modular 80+ Gold

I never "tuned" the graphic cards personally, i just left it at factory settings or how i did recieve it. The Graphic card also worked fine with the older software version, no crashes no deactivating of the GraphicsCard. I had no major HW changes in the time the error came to be.

I tried to install the newest driver, optimal driver, older drivers. The Problem seems to have started somewhen 2019 if i remember correctly. I checked my Graphic Cards driver and found out that i could go up 1 or 2 major versions so i did.

Since then it was a problem that only occured occasionally and i tried various things to fix it.
I even did a completely clean install of my System and the error still occures.

To be more precises, there are two (probaly related) errors.

First: Driver Crashes, temporarely killing Youtube Videos (until i reload the page) this error will occure again and again until i restart the system, but will not occure instantly, so i might be able to watch a Minute of a video before the inbound crash.

Second: Driver Crashes & Disables Graphic Card. I am unable to start the AMD Radeon Software until i reactivate the graphic card (via device manager). This Error persists uppon restart and can only be fixxed by installing any version of the Graphic cards driver.

If the System boots up without issues and no crash happens in the first two~ minutes on (as an example) loading a YT Video, than there will be no driver issues unless i restart the system or try to install another driver version (it happened that an error occured after updating the driver).
So no matter how much i stress the system, once the error is not there, i can not provoke any crashes until i restart. So i don't think its an HW issue, like incompatible system or not enough power.

----

I am happy about any input, i have not tried to go back two major versions yet.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update Windows and then deactivate Windows Update, set the device installation setting to no, possibly install the chipset driver from manufacturer support. Download Radeon 21.11.1, also amdcleanup and or DDD. Now deactivate the network card and delete all graphics drivers in safe mode, then restart and now only install the 21.11.1 driver under options. After a restart, the network card can be reactivated. This procedure prevents the automatic Microsoft driver installation, which can lead to such problems. I haven't used the Adrenalin software for a long time but instead use the MSI Afterburner, which is much easier to handle, and the FurMark as a benchmark, there you can also look at the manufacturer-specific data in the CPU-Z button lookup and compare it with the standard setting of the Radeon driver and correct if core clock and core voltage are too high. If the core clock down also reduce the core voltage.

0 Likes