cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yNeris
Adept II

Radeon software shows that my GPU (R9 380) has 0 RPM

Ever since the version of the software that came out this month (can't remember what it was, i currently have 21.3.1), the radeon software shows my fan having 0RPM. I got curios so i opened the case and found out that only one of the fans actually worked.

I reverted to 20.8.3 and it worked for 2 weeks,  but then the games I played (CIV 6 and Black Desert Online) kept "crashing" my drivers. I updated to the current one (21.3.1) and now i have 0 RPM again (I didn't open to case to make sure only one of the fans is actually spinning, but my suspicion is that only one works).

If anyone could help me,  I would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
29 Replies

Remove the side panel to your computer case and turn off power.

Turn power back on and keep a close eye on the GPU's fans. Are all the Fans (2 or 3) turning on for about one second and then turns off?

If only one fan turns on when you power up than you have a defective fan or GPU card.

Normally all fans turn on first when power is first applied because BIOS is checking all the hardware.

When you installed the previous AMD driver are all the fans working except the PC crashes during game play?

When I rolled back the driver, everything was working fine, including the fans.

0 Likes

If the R9 380 has Zero RPM feature than the Fans won't turn on until it reaches a certain temperature (~57-60 generally).

If you are playing a game than the GPU card should get hot enough for all the fans to turn on.

Try using AMD Wattman to set a manual Fan Curve for the GPU card and see if it works correctly with the latest AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-020

Using Wattman will disable Zero RPM on your GPU card:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

If using Wattman manual Fan curve doesn't work than reset Wattman back to factory settings and install the AMD driver that did work correctly for your fans.

Then you again try to use AMD Wattman to set an aggressive Fan Curves on the GPU card.

I don't think it has a 0 rpm feature, because when it worked (last time it was today, like 12 hours ago) The fans were constantly at ~1800 rpm on stand-by (~40 C). After i updated The drivers (because of civ 6), The software says it's at 0 rpm all The time. I tried playing BDO with high settings to get it to heat up to see if maybe they'll start, but at 66 it still had 0rpm AND the drivers timed out (at least that's what The crash pop up said)

I'll try setting a temp curve manually tomorrow to see if it does anything (it's currently 2am where I am so... :\) 

Ok, so I don't know if it's because my GPU is old or because the 2020 radeon software doesn't have this feature, but I can't see where I should tune the fans.

yNeris_0-1617185065355.png

I don't fully know how to use this software,  so sorry if this seems like a dumb thing to say

0 Likes

Wattman seems to be under "GAMING" and "GLOBAL SETTINGS" as per the link I posted on WATTMAN FAQ.

Under Gaming I have this:

yNeris_0-1617194736833.png

Basically a whole list of my games.

If i go on Global Graphics, I have this:

yNeris_1-1617194774403.pngyNeris_2-1617194784141.pngyNeris_3-1617194802423.png

Which (if i understand correctly) reffer to ingame graphic settings (not Wattman or fan control)

And if i go on Global Display, I get this:

yNeris_4-1617194903369.png

Which is basically resolution related, again, no Wattman or fan related stuff.

The thing that confuses me the most is that if i go to their support page for the 2020 software: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-020

You can see that their tuning tab looks different than mine:

yNeris_5-1617195081346.png

I can't tell if it's related to my GPU or if i have an outdated version...

0 Likes

Maybe @kingfish  can shed some light as to why Wattman is not showing.

If not you can use MSI Afterburner as a last resort if for some reason you can't enable Wattman on your GPU card.

I had MSI afterburner until ~2 years (don't remember exactly) ago.

I had a problem which caused my monitor to green screen right after i booted my PC, and apparently it was because of Afterburner. Should I risk getting it again?

Then no I wouldn't take a chance.

In the past MSI Afterburner did have conflicts or was incompatible with AMD Radeon Settings but lately it seems to be more compatible.

Should I try rolling back the drivers again?

I think it would solve the rpm problem, but i'm scared that the drivers are gonna time out again

0 Likes

Adrenalin 2020 has "Wattman Controls" under Performance -> Tuning. 
I have an R9 390X.

Automatic Fan speed does nothing. The GPU fans just sit at 0 R.P.M. until the GPU Temps get very high and then the fans run at full speed and sound like a loud hoover. 

The Advanced control just give Min Fan speed control. 

It looks like your picture exactly. 

The "Min Fan Speed is also broken. 
Set RPM does not match reported RPM. 
The fans still sit at 0 with the slider set to ~ 50%. 
Then the fan speed increases massively for very small movement of the slider. 
There is also severe hysteresis in the slider.  

This has been broken forever in AMD drivers for that GPU.
I have reported it many times. 
I gave up. 

Bye. 

The thing is, the software says 0 rpm, and it actually IS 0 rpm, like one of the fans isn't spinning at all.

It's not the fan's fault, because it worked before updating the drivers.

Also, for some reason GPU intensive apps time out the drivers, the GPU doesn't get to go over 66 C and the fan doesn't spin (can;t hear it at all).

I feel that the 0 rpm thing and the driver timeouts are related (can't confirm tho)

0 Likes

RE: The thing is, the software says 0 rpm, and it actually IS 0 rpm, like one of the fans isn't spinning at all.

Same here. 
Fans reported as 0RPM, GUI reports 0 RPM. Slider set at 0 -> 50%. 
Fans are not spinning at all. 

.... and your fans are still on 0 right now, right? Or did you roll back the drivers?

Also, did your drivers time out while doing something GPU intensive?

0 Likes

RE: .... and your fans are still on 0 right now, right? Or did you roll back the drivers?
The R9 390X I have is an XFX R9 390X OC Black Special Edition. 
It sits at 0rpm for most of the time when idle and often when gaming. 

As I said in Automatic mode the GPU will hit its temperature limit and then the fans will ruin at 100% speed.
But the reported r.p.m. does not match the "Set" r.p.m in the gui.

RE: Also, did your drivers time out while doing something GPU intensive?
No. 

Not on my PC when running with no overclocking of the CPU or RAM or GPU. 
Which is the only time you should report any crashing. 
If you are overclocking anything on your PC, all bets are off. 

Make sure your Ram passes MemTest86 preboot into windows or Karhu RamTest in windows when gaming.
https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/ 

I usually use that R9 390X as a blender accelerator but I have tested it for gaming from time to time. 
I am very busy at the moment so I cannot take time to specifically swap it into Primary PCIe slot to test it for you. 
I can tell you though that Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 WHQL is a very stable driver and performance on RX5700XT is comparable to RTX 2080 OC with latest Nvidia Drivers on latest AAA games I have tested so far, such a Watch Dogs: Legions, BFV, and more. 

Regarding MSI Afterburner. 
I do not normally install it as it can mess up Adrenalin 2020 and earlier drivers. 
It allows user defined custom fan profiles and override zero fan speed with fan curve options and more. 

I would try DDU install of driver first. 
If fan control is broken then install latest version of MSI Afterburner and see if that helps you. 

Thanks.  

So i reinstalled my drivers to 20.3.1, and it's still on 0rpm.... Last time I reinstalled them i got 20.8.1, and it worked .... I don't know what I should do rn...

0 Likes

File a bug using AMD Reporting Tool if you are OK with AMD Trawling  your PC for data.
There is a little bug symbol at the top of Adrenalin GUI/UI. 

Looks like they have completely dropped the ball on supporting the Fans on your GPU. 

Next step try MSI Afterburner Fan Control and see if that works. 

You will have to go back to your old driver that works until they fix it.

So i took the risk of getting the afterburner, but it does the same thing: only one of the fans is working, it still shows 0 rpm

Try this to reinstall your driver: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238#M13454...

You should just be able to run Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 WHQL with Factory Reset to install your driver but in practice DDU is frequently needed. 

You could also try Adrenalin 2020 21.3.2 optional. - In fact you will have to try that one if you are going to report a bug to AMD using the AMD Bug Reporting Tool as it is the latest driver available. 

0 Likes

Thanks!

I guess I'll have to reinstall the drivers again, as I currently have 21.3.2 and it's the same problems...

Maybe @goodplay has some ideas...I think he owned a 380 at one time.

Nope, had a 390.

Might help if OP posts exact make/model of card ?

Also to test if card or software fault, i would reset 'Tuning', then then disable it with 'Factory reset'.

Any other fan App. reset/disabled.

Run GPU-Z render test (with sensors panel open) and enable amd metrics overlay to see if either/both report fan speed.

Only needs to run a few minutes, of course also watching the cards fans.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

This is the exact GPU model I have: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-r9-380-gaming-4-gb.b3381

I reset 'Tuning' and factory reset it and ran the GPU-Z render test with the metrics overlay. Both showed 0RPM, however GPU-Z showed Fan speed at ~20%

I also activated tuning and GPU-Z showed Fans at 100% speed, but still 0RPM

0 Likes

Curious if you were able to fix this at all or find some sort of workaround?

Wife's computer with an R9 380 started all of a sudden having this 0RPM issue as well after, what I have to assume, was a random Windows 10 update this month (possibly one we've been postponing for months).

Same exact problems:

- 0 RPM on fans until the card reaches 90C or even 100C (!!!!); and then goes full blast until it reaches around 60C, and shuts off entirely.

- Idle often creeps from 50C to 80-90C over time.

- No real control in AMD adrenaline; the options either do not exist, or have no effect. (e.g minimum fan speed)

- It ignores any sort of fan curve entirely. It is either 100% speed or completely off.

Let me know if you've found a solution, since I'm worried about this dumb issue wrecking the card by staying at 60-80C the entire time. It's also been causing complete shutdowns when playing games because it waits until insanely high temps to even bother turning the fans on.

0 Likes

Hey there!

I (somehow!) fixed this by updating the radeon software to, at the time (like 2 months ago), the latest version.

I'm currently on 21.4.1 and it's working fine. Idk why it didn't work in the first place, or why it works now, but I'll take it :P.

Mby this fixes ur problem too.

0 Likes

I'm having the exact same problem as well: my R9 380 started overheating while gaming and shutting off my computer a day or two ago. I checked the GPU and it only ever seems to run one of the two fans (it's stuck reporting 11 RPM, somehow). When not running games, the temperature creeps up to 90C+, then runs a fan for a few seconds.

I have the latest version of Radeon Software (21.5.2).

0 Likes

Do you have zero rpm when you are playing? Or do you have zero rpm when your not playing and checking the fans?

Always

0 Likes