cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Radeon software shows that my GPU (R9 380) has 0 RPM

RE: .... and your fans are still on 0 right now, right? Or did you roll back the drivers?
The R9 390X I have is an XFX R9 390X OC Black Special Edition. 
It sits at 0rpm for most of the time when idle and often when gaming. 

As I said in Automatic mode the GPU will hit its temperature limit and then the fans will ruin at 100% speed.
But the reported r.p.m. does not match the "Set" r.p.m in the gui.

RE: Also, did your drivers time out while doing something GPU intensive?
No. 

Not on my PC when running with no overclocking of the CPU or RAM or GPU. 
Which is the only time you should report any crashing. 
If you are overclocking anything on your PC, all bets are off. 

Make sure your Ram passes MemTest86 preboot into windows or Karhu RamTest in windows when gaming.
https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/ 

I usually use that R9 390X as a blender accelerator but I have tested it for gaming from time to time. 
I am very busy at the moment so I cannot take time to specifically swap it into Primary PCIe slot to test it for you. 
I can tell you though that Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 WHQL is a very stable driver and performance on RX5700XT is comparable to RTX 2080 OC with latest Nvidia Drivers on latest AAA games I have tested so far, such a Watch Dogs: Legions, BFV, and more. 

Regarding MSI Afterburner. 
I do not normally install it as it can mess up Adrenalin 2020 and earlier drivers. 
It allows user defined custom fan profiles and override zero fan speed with fan curve options and more. 

I would try DDU install of driver first. 
If fan control is broken then install latest version of MSI Afterburner and see if that helps you. 

Thanks.  

yNeris
Adept I

So i reinstalled my drivers to 20.3.1, and it's still on 0rpm.... Last time I reinstalled them i got 20.8.1, and it worked .... I don't know what I should do rn...

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

File a bug using AMD Reporting Tool if you are OK with AMD Trawling  your PC for data.
There is a little bug symbol at the top of Adrenalin GUI/UI. 

Looks like they have completely dropped the ball on supporting the Fans on your GPU. 

Next step try MSI Afterburner Fan Control and see if that works. 

You will have to go back to your old driver that works until they fix it.

kingfish
MVP

Maybe @goodplay has some ideas...I think he owned a 380 at one time.

yNeris
Adept I

So i took the risk of getting the afterburner, but it does the same thing: only one of the fans is working, it still shows 0 rpm

goodplay
MVP

Nope, had a 390.

Might help if OP posts exact make/model of card ?

Also to test if card or software fault, i would reset 'Tuning', then then disable it with 'Factory reset'.

Any other fan App. reset/disabled.

Run GPU-Z render test (with sensors panel open) and enable amd metrics overlay to see if either/both report fan speed.

Only needs to run a few minutes, of course also watching the cards fans.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
yNeris
Adept I

This is the exact GPU model I have: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-r9-380-gaming-4-gb.b3381

I reset 'Tuning' and factory reset it and ran the GPU-Z render test with the metrics overlay. Both showed 0RPM, however GPU-Z showed Fan speed at ~20%

I also activated tuning and GPU-Z showed Fans at 100% speed, but still 0RPM

0 Kudos