cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yNeris
Adept I

Radeon software shows that my GPU (R9 380) has 0 RPM

Ever since the version of the software that came out this month (can't remember what it was, i currently have 21.3.1), the radeon software shows my fan having 0RPM. I got curios so i opened the case and found out that only one of the fans actually worked.

I reverted to 20.8.3 and it worked for 2 weeks,  but then the games I played (CIV 6 and Black Desert Online) kept "crashing" my drivers. I updated to the current one (21.3.1) and now i have 0 RPM again (I didn't open to case to make sure only one of the fans is actually spinning, but my suspicion is that only one works).

If anyone could help me,  I would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
26 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: Radeon software shows that my GPU (R9 380) has 0 RPM

Remove the side panel to your computer case and turn off power.

Turn power back on and keep a close eye on the GPU's fans. Are all the Fans (2 or 3) turning on for about one second and then turns off?

If only one fan turns on when you power up than you have a defective fan or GPU card.

Normally all fans turn on first when power is first applied because BIOS is checking all the hardware.

When you installed the previous AMD driver are all the fans working except the PC crashes during game play?

kingfish
MVP

Do you have zero rpm when you are playing? Or do you have zero rpm when your not playing and checking the fans?

yNeris
Adept I

Always 😞

0 Kudos
yNeris
Adept I

When I rolled back the driver, everything was working fine, including the fans.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

If the R9 380 has Zero RPM feature than the Fans won't turn on until it reaches a certain temperature (~57-60 generally).

If you are playing a game than the GPU card should get hot enough for all the fans to turn on.

Try using AMD Wattman to set a manual Fan Curve for the GPU card and see if it works correctly with the latest AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-020

Using Wattman will disable Zero RPM on your GPU card:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

If using Wattman manual Fan curve doesn't work than reset Wattman back to factory settings and install the AMD driver that did work correctly for your fans.

Then you again try to use AMD Wattman to set an aggressive Fan Curves on the GPU card.

yNeris
Adept I

I don't think it has a 0 rpm feature, because when it worked (last time it was today, like 12 hours ago) The fans were constantly at ~1800 rpm on stand-by (~40 C). After i updated The drivers (because of civ 6), The software says it's at 0 rpm all The time. I tried playing BDO with high settings to get it to heat up to see if maybe they'll start, but at 66 it still had 0rpm AND the drivers timed out (at least that's what The crash pop up said)

I'll try setting a temp curve manually tomorrow to see if it does anything (it's currently 2am where I am so... :\) 

yNeris
Adept I

Ok, so I don't know if it's because my GPU is old or because the 2020 radeon software doesn't have this feature, but I can't see where I should tune the fans.

yNeris_0-1617185065355.png

I don't fully know how to use this software,  so sorry if this seems like a dumb thing to say 🙂

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Wattman seems to be under "GAMING" and "GLOBAL SETTINGS" as per the link I posted on WATTMAN FAQ.

yNeris
Adept I

Under Gaming I have this:

yNeris_0-1617194736833.png

Basically a whole list of my games.

If i go on Global Graphics, I have this:

yNeris_1-1617194774403.pngyNeris_2-1617194784141.pngyNeris_3-1617194802423.png

Which (if i understand correctly) reffer to ingame graphic settings (not Wattman or fan control)

And if i go on Global Display, I get this:

yNeris_4-1617194903369.png

Which is basically resolution related, again, no Wattman or fan related stuff.

The thing that confuses me the most is that if i go to their support page for the 2020 software: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-020

You can see that their tuning tab looks different than mine:

yNeris_5-1617195081346.png

I can't tell if it's related to my GPU or if i have an outdated version...

0 Kudos