cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

torrasque
Journeyman III

Radeon Software overlay crashes my games

So after trying dozens of different fixes from updating my drivers, wiping my drivers and reinstalling them, changing registry keys, tweaking in game settings, etc. I think I've finally realized what is causing my games to crash, specifically FFXIV. It's the Desktop Overlay.

I have it disabled in the settings, have disabled it in the registry, force closed it in task manager, and even killed every radeon software process in my task manager, but it still turns on whenever it wants. It causes my screen to flicker periodically and at weird times, it'll cause dx11 to crash which causes FFXIV to crash. I know it's not an FFXIV problem because my whole computer locks up for a few seconds, sound from different apps stops as well, and when I check my task manager, there is the stupid overlay, taunting me.

Is there a way I can completely 100% fool-proof disable the overlay? Everything I have tried hasn't worked, changing the hotkeys to [none] doesn't help, changing it to some weird hotkey like ctrl+shift+alt+del doesn't work, I never even use the cursed overlay, so I'd like it of my games properly ran.

I'm a few crashes away from completely uninstalling radeon everything and finding some other driver to run, even if I have to get a completely different GPU for it.

Not that it matters, but I'm running version 20.4.2, the version that explicitly said they fixed the thing causing my crashes, and my GPU is an RX 590.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Alonsovr4
Journeyman III

I jave had the same problem for a few years now. Ive noticed anytime there is any kind of flickering in game and especially when AMDs' overlay flickers it means there is instability in your system. Its been countless hours messing with wattman trying to dial things in on my rx 560 card i cannot use full voltage of 1150mv it will overheat my memory and cause crashes. This is where overclocking gets tricky not enough voltage and its unstable too much voltage and its unstable due to heat. Im at a loss because even my default settings are off now its been several adrenaline versions later and things are pretty out of wack on my system. Voltage for your card will be different try and remember your stock voltages and go from there.

What sucks for me is that stock memory frequecy isnt stable for me anymore im 200mhz shorter cant seem to find the right spot anymore. Maybe my card is bit damaged from inexperienced oc. But if you can get overlay to display without disappearing or flickering your on the right path.

0 Likes