I'll just put this here for poor souls arriving from a desperate google search. I was having serious trouble with this issue since I have a really low end CPU and this was using 80-100% of my CPU power sometimes. When it would spike, my entire PC would freeze up and I would need to wait around 30 seconds to regain control.
I first noticed that it would set the priority to high when it spiked so I would always try to keep the priority to low. Alas, to no avail, the spikes would still occur. I resorted to some desperate measures. I found the .exe file in question. I then ended the task with the Task Manager and in the short space between the process ending and it being rebooted by the system, I moved the .exe to the recycle bin. Then, I restored the application but before the system could find it again, I renamed it to something inane like "CPUboogeyman" and changed the file extension to .txt rather than .exe. This has entirely prevented the application from running, freeing up that precious CPU power.
@all: reset driver to default OR instal 20.12.1 (after Win10 20H2 update) with "Factory Reset" option
I'm having the same issue, unistalled drives with DDU reinstalled latest version problem still exists Radeon Software has 14-17%cpu usage.
i7 7700k, RX 5700 XT, 16g ram
Ok, I figured this out.
Took months and its really dumb but here goes.
Run it, look at what the AMD software is constantly monitoring, for me it was some empty game folders, apparently its constantly checking empty folders, once I deleted those folders this stopped. It's looking for .exe files that dont exist for the scan games section in the software...