cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

scoobydooami
Journeyman III

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Driver Install Problem

I have an Acer Aspire 722 with AMD Radeon 6290 graphics.  It has 512MB of VRam.  Currently installed is the 15.7.1 Catalyst Software Suite with the driver 15.201.1151.0 directly from Windows 10 update.

I have two problems.  Windows 10 is reporting 256 MB Vram, and I am unable to install the driver using the Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta 16.2.1 package which is 15.301.1901.  When I install using Run as Administrator due to it being non-WHQL, it only comes up with an HDMI audio driver, AMD install manager, 2 Microsoft Visual C ++ 2012 packages and AMD Gaming Evolved App.

At no point does it ever allow to update the actual video card driver to version 15.301.1901, so it remains using 15.201.1151.0.  I am Administrator. Does this have to be manually installed via the .inf file and if so, which one is it?  How do I get the package to update the driver?

There are 3 .inf files found in the directory:

C0299900

C7299900

CU299900

Relevant Driver Page:

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products Release Notes

0 Likes
5 Replies
redfury
Big Boss

Re: Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Driver Install Problem

Disable secure boot in BIOS (if you have it)

Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and try 16.2.1 driver Windows 10 ​​(32-b​​it | ​64-bit)​​​

And show me GPU-Z main screen

0 Likes
scoobydooami
Journeyman III

Thank you for the answer.  Okay, so I used AMD Uninstall to remove all drivers.  I then booted into safe mode and used DDU to remove any traces.  After a restart I tried to install the video card driver using the 16.2.1 package.  Again, it only showed the HDMI driver, 2 Microsoft C++ Visual packages and the AMD Gaming Evolved app.  It does not list the video card driver at all for install.

As DDU turns off the Windows Update, I didn't have the problem of it reinstalling version 15.201.1151.0, however at this point all it had was the Microsoft Basic Adapter, as the AMD 16.2.1 package installed no driver. I then tried to install the chipset driver thinking maybe it just wasn't recognizing the hardware.  During that process the 15.201.1151.0 driver was installed.  So, basically it is absolutely not recognizing the card in order to install the 15.301.1901 driver.  Is this because it is Windows 10, and it has safeguards against installing non-WHQL drivers?

GPU-Z is also reporting only 256MB Vram.  I could have sworn when I bought it, that it was 512MB but I reckon that isn't much of a big deal.  What I really want is to get that beta driver installed, but something is preventing it. I also checked my BIOS and there is nothing related to secure boot there.

Here is a GPU-Z screenshot:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

HD 6290 uses some part of system RAM as GPU VRAM. It doesn't has its own onboard VRAM. How many RAM has your laptop?

Try to search in BIOS any settings related to GPU RAM.Maybe you will be able to increase it manually.

If you don't need AMD control panel you may update your driver manually.

Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program​ and update driver via device manager>update driver>manual update>search on this computer>and select C:\AMD folder\select folder with 16.2.1 driver

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

AMD has no driver support for that APU and OS. You must use the drivers furnished by Microsoft.

Windows® 10 Driver for APUs Supporting up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11

0 Likes
9871clty
Journeyman III

Hello, yes I got the 16.2.1 beta drivers installed with the Aspire One 722 on Windows 10.

I didn't have to uninstall any drivers.

Method:

-disable non certified driver install as you can find easy walkthroughs on the internet for - under Settings, Recovery, Reboot

-Device Manager --> Update Driver --> Keep pressing next till you can manually install a 'non recommended' driver.  Go to the C:\AMD\ folder and choose the non certified folder.  Keep doing to the Driver, Display folder.  Choose the .inf file starting with CU as you list in your OP. 

-Select the amd video card from the list, in my case it's the 6290

-new drivers will install on this old but functional netbook!

You might have to disable the Windows Update function of updating drivers after this.  I already had that disabled.

0 Likes