cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

drr0ck
Adept III

Radeon Software crashing intermittently

A few weeks ago, I scored a reference 6900 XT to replace my Vega 64. I ran DDU to remove the old driver and installed the Radeon software clean. Since installing the new GPU, I find that the Radeon software crashes on me from time to time. It happens both during gaming, and also when I am not gaming and just web browsing. I will notice that I have two icons for Radeon software in the system tray (one disappears when I hover the mouse over it), and this will be accompanied by an Event Log error ID 1000:
Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1884, time stamp: 0x617a4659
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1320, time stamp: 0x00d7bca2
Exception code: 0xc0000602
Fault offset: 0x000000000010b302
Faulting process id: 0x116c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7d4140519ae06
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 21bac2fd-d8fe-4223-9374-8bf7610b53a1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I will note that this is not crashing games while playing, and at worst may be resulting in a stutter, so it's not like a driver time-out. It's more of an annoyance, but I am concerned that it could be a symptom of something wrong.

This did not occur on my system when the Vega 64 was installed, and I haven't changed any system settings since installing the 6900 XT.

System Configuration:
MB ASrock z370 Taichi
CPU: Intel 8086k @ 5ghz
RAM: 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 running @ 3800
Display: LG 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide 34UC80
Driver: I have seen the same behavior from 21.10.1 and 21.11.1. I generally have Radeon Chill on limiting framerates to 75, but not always. Freesync on, and enhanced sync on. That's about it for settings. Running stock clocks and small undervolt via wattman.

I have seen the issue while gaming in everything from Far Cry 6 and Deathloop to gzDoom, as well as while web browsing in Chrome and Firefox. I have tried removing the drivers using DDU and installing clean again, but it did not help.

Any suggestions or similar experiences would be appreciated.

12 Replies
wasago
Adept II

I have same problem on rx5600xt driver version 21.10.2. I was on lastest drivers but that gives me time out error so i use ddu and downgrade and start geting this error,dont know what to do with it.

Název chybující aplikace: Radeonsoftware.exe, verze: 10.1.2.1884, časové razítko: 0x615c7db5
Název chybujícího modulu: KERNELBASE.dll, verze: 10.0.19041.1202, časové razítko: 0xc9db1934
Kód výjimky: 0xc0000602
Posun chyby: 0x000000000010be3e
ID chybujícího procesu: 0x39e4
Čas spuštění chybující aplikace: 0x01d7d57479eee9d2
Cesta k chybující aplikaci: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Cesta k chybujícímu modulu: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
ID zprávy: 1269137e-965d-4189-b3c7-326b4f342dd3
Úplný název chybujícího balíčku:
ID aplikace související s chybujícím balíčkem:
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the AMD club. I suspect that the Microsoft driver and AMD driver are not fully compatible when both are installed. That arguably leads to these various problems. Therefore, before installing AMD drivers, you should deactivate Windows Update and network card and set the device installation setting to no. In safe mode with DDD or AMDCleanup, delete everything and only activate the network card again after reinstalling and restarting the system. But first update everything such as Windows, Mobo's chipset drivers from manufacturer support and download the latest Radeon graphics drivers.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.  All of my drivers are up to date, and I have a group policy set to prevent Windows update from downloading and installing drivers.  So I don't think unplugging the network during the installation is going to make a difference.  

In the interim, I ran another DDU and installed 21.8.2.  It seems perhaps a bit more stable, but I have still seen the Radeon software crashing.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not use the adrenaline software, just install the driver under options. In Services (msconfig) deactivate the two from AMD and switch off the Windows game mode under Settings Play Game mode. If then change the core clock, core voltage and other parameters there with the MSI Afterburner. With the GPU-Z button lookup you can view your manufacturer-specific graphics card data and compare it with the standard setting of the Radeon graphics driver and create your own profiles. Anyway, it is better to reduce the core voltage and test it with different core clocks with FurMark. That's how I do it and since then there have been no more problems with my RX5700XT. Note that after a crash, the Radeon driver will restore the default setting. Always install the latest Radeon driver when everything is updated (update, chipset).

0 Likes

So to prevent the Radeon software from crashing, I need to uninstall the software?  I have used Afterburner for overclocking and fan control on prior cards, but in conjunction with the Radeon software.  I don't think I can set up per game profiles nor use settings like Chill, enhanced sync, custom resolutions, etc. through afterburner, can I?

In any event, there has to be a way to get it to run stable without crashing whenever I play a game.  It wasn't crashing for me with my Vega 64, so something about the 6900 or 6000 series in general must be causing the issue.  Unfortunately, searching for Radeon crash is not the most targeted search and it's extremely challenging to find others with a similar issue.

hi @drr0ck 

I have the same problem as you, but I do not receive any error code when it crashes and I am using Windows 11

0 Likes

Hello guys, don't use 21.10.2. I suggest roll-back whatever you think(previous ver.) that doesn't have problems(for you).

Whenever, during playing games or after leaving(closing) games, it will crashes.

I've been rolling back to the 1st version of 2020(19.12.2) and test until I've reach......20.4.2.

There's 20.5.x somewhere but I didn't install. After 20.7.1(there's no 20.6.1), Adrenalin changes.

You can't use your previous profiles. 20.7.1 sets a different profiles. 

I've been using 20.4.2 for 1 week now..Looks good except the audio and win10 display updates driver. 

I've just have to re-set audio every '1st time' using obs and disable win10 updates. That's all. Everything looks fine. 

@grumpy0ldm3n I am willing to roll back, but I will be missing out on game optimizations, fixes, etc.  Was continuing to see the problem in 21.8.2, so I would need to roll back even farther.  If I do, I will report my findings.

I just can't believe that folks are having an issue like this and no one knows of a fix.

0 Likes

@drr0ck 

sure

0 Likes

@MacArthur I am not seeing any kind of error on-screen when the issue occurs; I see the error in the Windows event log.  Can you check and let us know if you see an error there?

0 Likes
nschwender
Adept II

Hello! I have the same problem in the event viewer with my Sapphire Pulse RX5700 and 21.12.1 driver version. With Radeon 21.3.1 this problen did not happen.

System: Windows 10 21H2, CPU: R9 3900X

0 Likes

For me it stoped on 21.10.2.

0 Likes