cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jaws
Journeyman III

Radeon software causing flickering video?

I have been troubleshooting a horribly annoying issue of the last week. 
We were watching Netflix, and suddenly the video started flickering. It's been fine all year, and it just suddenly started happening. 

The sudden appearance made me believe it was hardware related. So I was worried my GPU was running too hot, or was just plain dying. But the problem did not appear in other browsers. (We watch netflix in Edge due to the hdr support and image scaling). 

I am watching on an 86" 120hz tv. No trouble until this sudden appearance. 
After some driver and windows updates, I reinstalled Win10 64bit, from scratch. Everything was fine. 
Until I installed the official AMD driver software package. Flickering returned. Uninstall AMD Software. No more flickering. 

But I'd really like to have the software installed, so can someone tell me what's causing this? 
I've tried disabling overlays. And fiddled with all monitor and scaling settings. (it's scaling to 4k). 
But none seem to have any serious impact on the stuttering. 
It can be recreated every time, though. By uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD Software package. 

0 Likes
6 Replies
jaws
Journeyman III

I have further narrowed the issue to the graphics drivers. I reverted to .. October 2019 driver package.
And those work fine.  I have not gradually installed packages to find where the exact change happened, and I don't really have the time, or willpower to do that right now. 

Anyone know what might be causing this flickering?

(I see I wrote stuttering in my question, but it's short flickering to blank screens. Every few seconds or so, at random intervals. Only when HDR is enabled.)

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

What is your version of AMD software? 20.5.1 or not? 20.5.1 just released today. Please try it.

0 Likes

Didn't fix it. Still flickering. I will revert back to older driver. 

0 Likes
jaws
Journeyman III

So the October 17th driver works fine. Now when I reverted back, I chose the October 24th driver. Which also worked fine. I noticed that mentioned fixing a similar issue for displays connected via USB-C cables. In the change notes. 

0 Likes
jaws
Journeyman III

I uploaded my dxdiag here.

0 Likes
jaws
Journeyman III

And the exact place the problems start, are with 

AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.12.2 WHQL

19.12.1 is the last driver package where the issue is non-existent. 

0 Likes