cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

i-eated-cookie
Journeyman III

Radeon Software Causes Windows 10 to Boot Loop

I just helped my friend build a new PC a few days ago. He wanted to keep his old graphics card (MSI R9 270X) and switch it over too the new hardware once we were done building it. We did a fresh install of Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit and everything seemed fine. One wired thing became apparent is that the graphics card would not show up in the device manager at all. It would show up as a Basic Display Adapter. Windows did not even detect the device at all. It wasn't hidden in the device manger either. We did all of the required Windows Updates in the time being since the display worked without the drivers. We decided to install the latest drivers for his specific card off of the AMD website which was the Adrenaline 20.2.2 release. The install seemed to be going fine until about 80% completion when the screen went completely black. I know the screen is supposed to flicker a few times during the install but when the screen went black Windows ended up restarting. It ended up trying to perform an automatic repair and continued to try and repair. Every attempt ended with Windows saying it could not repair the system. We could not get back into Windows after this point even after resetting the system numerous times. The motherboard posted every time. You could still get into the BIOS but you cannot get into Windows. If any of you have experienced this issue or know how to fix it I would be grateful.

Thanks- Andrew Perreira   

Here are the specs of his system  

CPU- AMD RYZEN 5 3600

Motherboard- ASUS ROG STRIX B-450F GAMING 

RAM- Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-3200

GPU- MSI R9 270X

PSU- Seasonic Foucs GX-750 

OS- Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit Version 1909 

2 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Please try to use 20.4.2. It may fix.

0 Likes

You can contact AMD support about this here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes