cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

darksurf
Adept I

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.9.2 not working with RX560X switchable graphics

Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen model uses 2500U + Vega 8 and the RX560X. I cannot seem to install latest 18.9.2 drivers. If I use DDU and install, RX560X is recognized as an RX460 Pro and I get screen artifacts. When can I expect support for my graphics card? Also, can both graphics cards be used at the same time since they are both recognizable? I'd love for Vulkan to utilize the Vega8 as a co-GPU while using the RX560X as the primary during gaming.

0 Likes
4 Replies

You must get the drivers for your APU/graphics from the manufacturer. Generic drivers are not available from AMD at this time for laptop/Mobility.

0 Likes

So you're saying AMD doesn't support their own chips they sell to manufacturers, they basically only support DIY projects.. That sounds like a pretty bad policy and would prevent people from purchasing their products in the future. ACER's drivers are ancient. They still only provide 17.7 Crimson Relive drivers and this is a brand new laptop. I'll wait for a response from someone at AMD.

0 Likes

This is a very common question...and has been answered by AMD. I gave you the answer. Mobile graphics ( "U" ) are customized by the card manufacturer for optimum performance on their laptops. AMD only offers generic divers. This APU is new...all drivers come from the manufacturer. Mobility APU's update differently than desktop models >

Laptop graphics update...How to

Example: Desktop models

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I like this or not considering AMD's terrible at coding drivers upon first release. Otherwise AMD Fine Wine (tm) wouldn't be a thing. Luckily Linux doesn't depend on driver installs like this, so hopefully AMDGPU handles this OK .

AMD does need to find an appropriate solution as I've been an AMD fanboy for years since my first K7 thunderbird. If I were a heavy windows gamer, this would ward me off. It just screams AMD doesn't truly support their own hardware on mobility platforms. It's a pretty solid excuse to pick the other team even if they are a bit dirty.

0 Likes