cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

imcanadian
Adept I

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.9.2 not certified by Microsoft??

I was surprised to see that this latest driver software was not certified by Microsoft yet? The last certified software was certified by July 19, 2018. Why are AMD rushing out this latest driver support even not certified yet by Microsoft? I know with Nvidia GeForce Drivers for Windows 10 411.63 - 391.35 was certified by Microsoft and released on September 19, 2018. Can you explain about this between Nvidia and AMD which both released their drivers on the same day but one is already certified and other is not certified. Should I roll back to July 19, 2018 driver or should be fine to use this latest driver.

John

0 Likes
5 Replies
joecrow
Elite

The download page shows the drivers 18.9.2  as "optional" and the 18.5.1 version is the MS certified version. Previously the newest drivers were listed as a beta test version! My understanding is that depending on results of the further testing of that "optional" version it may or may not be submitted for MS certification (e.g. 18.7.1, 18.8.1, 18.9.1 etc was not), which to me makes good sense.

Try it and see, AMD is giving users the choice to experience the latest enhancements and be involved with their testing as early as possible rather than having to wait for the completion of all testing and certification, better than the Nvidia model, I think. If you don't want to take the risk use the MS certified version.

Thank you for your time to reply. Now i see the word with " optimal " But I already did the install of the latest version with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.9.2 and did not find any problem with this.

John

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Optional drivers include day 1 support for new game titles, hence they may not be WHQL certified at launch. However, they all receive WHQL certification and are reposted a few days later.

Thanks Ray. Looking at the Likes, I'm guessing a lot of us didn't know that.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

FYI Nvidia also has beta drivers they just don't have the WHQL and Beta drivers on the same page. Link to the beta drivers page at NVIDIA Beta and Archive Drivers | NVIDIA

0 Likes