cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brucer
Forerunner

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.4.1 still broke

Trying to load the new drivers, still getting: RADEON SETTINGS AND DRIVER VERSION DO NOT MATCH. PLEASE TRY AGAIN AFTER UPDATING TO THE LATEST VERSION!!! Really. why cant amd resolve this continuous problem.. Do they even test these drivers before they release them..

What is going on at AMD? Did they fire their decent software engineers?

Do not tell me to go through error reporting, that is AMD"S JOB, NOT MINE!  My job is to purchase a functioning gpu with functioning drivers, not to trouble shoot for AMD!!!!!

Amd can ask these ridiculous prices for gpu's they can hire a software engineer to read these forums to see all the people having the same issues.. This is not a new issue and many others have this same issue.. Its amd's responsibility to resolve these issues in a timely manner, so people can get what they pay for!!!!

70 Replies
pokester
MVP

I feel your frustration. It sucks that stuff doesn't work driver after driver.

I won't suggest a opening a support ticket as you obviously have chosen to voice you concerns to people that can't help. We do however have a sympathetic ear as many of us still have issues too.

I asked many of the same questions recently in a hand written letter I wrote to corporate with no answer yet. I hand wrote the letter after sending several emails to corporate email addresses received no response. In fact the only one that responds in any manner ever is Matt and I don't know what he can really do about any of this. My guess being that he and Ray are as likely sick of the situation as any of us. He did not say anything like that. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth. Just that these guys are smart, and absolutely try to be helpful when they can, the situation comes across to me almost like they are not allowed to help (again my own assumption), so I don't know how they could not share at least some frustration with the situation.


On the pricing, unless I am mistaken. AMD has not benefited from the substantial rise in prices other than selling more volume. That price increase is all at the retail level, so no the MSRP is still the same as AMD initially set but the market, not AMD has dictated the higher price for all of us.

amd has dictated the price, by not manufacturing or not having the capacity to manufacture enough gpu's for the market..

Well they all only basically rent manufacturing space so if you want to blame AMD for that, okay, that's your opinion and your right to do so, just don't single out AMD as it applies to all manufacturing, of well, basically anything. Specifically, it is the same for NVidia too. Not sure what crystal ball they could have used to foresee the mining boom as it is 3 years ago when they were booking fabrication allocation. I am quite sure AMD and NVidia wish they could have produced more. None of this changes the FACT not opinion that the price they both charge for the chip hasn't changed from it's original MSRP so whether or not you feel that they could have some how made more chips, then the memory guys had to make more memory and the pcb guys more boards etc. down the line. The demand issue sucks for all, but unfortunately I find it hard to blame a manufacturer for this, just my opinion. Now if this problem still exists years from now, then yah, they should have by then been able to adjust, but they plan the fab allocation a couple years in advance.

locodicegr
Miniboss

Drivers are working fine, and they are tested.

The fault is your system and not the driver.

Use DDU to clean up any leftovers of old drivers and download again and try.

What system you have, you are just typing some nonsense.

really dude, drivers evidently arent working fine because I'm not the only one having this issue.....

I've ran ddu in safe mode twenty times.. downloaded the latest dotnet.. Reinstalled the last two driver packages, deleted all amd files/folder prior to running ddu in safe mode, and it DOES NOT FUNCTION!

I certainly don't doubt that some can have issues but the new drivers are working fine for me and in fact fixed several issues. I did however have it fail installing the Radeon Settings with an express install and simply used the clean install on the second attempt and all went well. I installed under 1709 then updated to Win 10 1803. I certainly understand your frustration, have no idea why it doesn't work for you.

0 Likes

Yep, drivers are fine--no problems.  It's the *users* who most often have the problems, I've noticed...;) (Especially true when it comes to Windows 7...;)  Hard to believe people are still running that junk...;) Ugh!)

0 Likes
dreamager
Adept III

Installed fine for me....

The issue is not installation.

The driver installs and operates without any errors for everyone, that's quite clear.

The specific error "Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s)." appears only after attempting to start AMD Radeon Settings (e.g. via Right Click on the desktop).  The control panel can never be launched because the popup appears and the only option is to select "OK" which closes it and doesn't pop up anything further.  Doing it again results in the same thing.

The driver continues to be "installed just fine" and "operating perfectly."  What doesn't operate perfectly is the settings panel.

The issue is persistent with R9 290s (and 390s from what I can gather) on Win7 x64 exclusively.  If you have Win10, you (probably?) won't see that error.  At least I never heard of anyone getting in on Win10.

An interim solution is to replace radeonsettings.exe from 18.2.2 which is the last version which works perfectly.

A thread with probably more focused discussion and less ranting (even though there's still plenty of ranting):Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest v...

kingfish
Volunteer Moderator

Thats not exactly so...R9 290

0 Likes

Yes not problem for You, but problem for My R9 270X

olderlml
Adept I

AMD drivers is going worst every new update, i know 18.4.1 is not a final release , but this only explain something.. Adrenaline versions is not working, is a deliverate downgrade, they are thinking more about the mining coins than the gaming performance... is very disappointing, i bought rx 580 last november and IT WILL BE THE LAST AMD GPU... i will buy a nvidia gpu next time, no more mistakes with AMD

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

I will take a look and see if I hit problems with 18.4.1. next week.

I have not updated yet, I am currently running QA testing on a "second hand" R9 Fury X using 18.3.4.
I should be finished that next week.


I think AMD need to talk with Microsoft and start a project to fix installer issues ASAP including helping people out with mix of 'legacy' and GCN GPU on their system.
I think this installer situation needs fixed fast and should be prioritized instead of what I see as marketing features like AMD Link.
This installer situation gives a bad experience to many AMD GPU users, and I think they frequently blame the GPU hardware or bad drivers instead of the installer.

Bye.

joecrow
Elite

Just updated to 18.4.1, installs without issue and seems to work OK so far, so clearly not a general problem!

kingfish
Volunteer Moderator

Some people have a long history of installation issues. Atypical is the term I would use.

kingfish​ I believe those issues is entirely on their end (OS Wise)

Not a driver problem...im 99% sure for that.

Never had installation problems...never, i keep my system updated + clean without any bloatware.

kingfish
Volunteer Moderator

That's what I am referring to....it's usually the same people that have these issues. It's interesting to read the past posts (from profile) of some people who have these and other issues.

Hi,

Which people? Come on be brave.

If you were referring to me, I have not seen the installation issue that brucer has referred to, as I have not moved to that version and I have not tested it yet.

I normally do not see any installation issues, on a machine with Intel CPU and AMD Desktop GPU, provided I run DDU uninstall in safe mode, and disable Windows 10 Pro Automatic Updating.

Overall,  Adrenalin 18.3.4. has been working great on my old AMD Fiji -> all the way down to Tahiti based GPU's. Both DX12 MultiGPU and DX11 Crossfire run great on most AAA titles I am interested in on both Windows 7 64bit and Windows 8.1 64bit.

I see no issues in Windows 8.1 64bit  with AMD Drivers any more because there are no new ones although there should be.

I have definitely seen installer problems. In some cases I have seen myself or found when trying to debug issues for others on Windows 10.
Those problems are shown on a number of posts on this forum. I do not see the point in discussing them further.

I cannot see how denying any problems exist and implying that people who do see problems are either incompetent or deliberately lying just because you have not seen it yourself helps anyone.

Bye.

i believe that the new drivers are made thinking in lastes configurations of intel process and ryzen, i have 4th generation i7, i shouldnt have a big bottle neck, but i am taking a lot of problems since adrenalive apears, before that i didnt have any problems, everything was just perfect.. and i cant install old versions, becasue some games like rainbow six doesnt let me play without update the drivers,  so i cant do anything.. i have problems with star wars battlefront 2, sometimes bf1, i have artifacts on PUGB, problems that i didnt have before adrenaline... i already try to reinstall windows .. nothing works for me.. the store check my gpu but everything is fine.. i repeat, this is deliverate downgrade, AMD care more mining coins than gamers.

kingfish
Volunteer Moderator

Please start your own thread and include INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION and I will take a look.

0 Likes

i already made one last month, i dint get any answer:  Problems with adrenalin drivers (all versions) Star wars battlefront 2 Rx 580 4gb

I answered your other thread. Give it a try. Should help.

joecrow wrote:

Just updated to 18.4.1, installs without issue and seems to work OK so far, so clearly not a general problem!

Which dosn't mean there isn't a problem. Also, most people won't even come here due to the generally poor quality of the replies and will look for help on other forums where there are more skilled people posting.

0 Likes

pedro-nf wrote:

Which dosn't mean there isn't a problem. Also, most people won't even come here due to the generally poor quality of the replies and will look for help on other forums where there are more skilled people posting.

Maybe true but when the question is a rant with no detailed information on the problem hardware/config/software, what kind of quality reply can be expected!

joecrow wrote:

pedro-nf wrote:

Which dosn't mean there isn't a problem. Also, most people won't even come here due to the generally poor quality of the replies and will look for help on other forums where there are more skilled people posting.

Maybe true but when the question is a rant with no detailed information on the problem hardware/config/software, what kind of quality reply can be expected!

Agreed. That's probably because all that info had already been posted on this other thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/22633 .

0 Likes

pedro-nf

Its not ideal to use windows 7 in 2018..for perfomance/stability/security reasons.

Maybe thats one of the problems in the thread you linked..

0 Likes

locodicegr wrote:

pedro-nf

Its not ideal to use windows 7 in 2018..for perfomance/stability/security reasons.

Maybe thats one of the problems in the thread you linked..

It's even less "ideal" to use a so-called OS that is bloated, buggy, ugly, unintuitive, spies on you, and that will never be finished. Please stick to the problem the thread refers to. Now "performance/stability/security"? I'm gonna have to assume this is some kind of bad joke

pedro-nf wrote:

Which dosn't mean there isn't a problem. Also, most people won't even come here due to the generally poor quality of the replies and will look for help on other forums where there are more skilled people posting.

So did you get the skilled help elsewhere and if so why are you still posting this problem here?

pedro-nf wrote:

Agreed. That's probably because all that info had already been posted on this other thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/22633 .

Shame it was not included in the OP then!

0 Likes

joecrow wrote:

So did you get the skilled help elsewhere and if so why are you still posting this problem here?

Maybe because these are the OFFICIAL AMD forums?

kingfish
Volunteer Moderator

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the Support Forum Rules & Regulations.

OFFICIAL TERMS OF USE

This is a user to user English language only Support Forum.

kingfish wrote:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the Support Forum Rules & Regulations.

OFFICIAL TERMS OF USE

This is a user to user English language only Support Forum.

I haven't seen anyone posting in languages other than English. As to the official terms of use, maybe you should take a few hours to familiarize yourself with them, because you have been trolling and insulting people with sarcastic comments and insinuations on this and other threads related to these issues, clearly trying to get users to respond in a way that would also break the TOS.

Ok. Im using Windows 10 from day 1, never had issues.

Good luck with an OS from 2009.

0 Likes

I dont know why are u spamming this, there is no point.

I cant find thousands of the same posts for windows 7.

So what?

0 Likes

I would like to preface by saying that as long as an operating system is supported by security updates you should feel free to use it, if you choose. Now the reality of the situation at least from my perspective in IT. We were very slow to roll out Windows 10, 7 was just so much more stable and played nice with our custom apps. Beginning last spring 2017 we saw Windows 10 fix most of those compatibility issues then in the fall they disappeared and that was no longer any reason for holding off. In the last 6 months I have seen update after update not playing nice on Windows 7 and the Windows 10 updates not having that issue. I have been wondering if MS is intentionally sabotaging 7. Also our 7 machines are repeatedly being stricken with Malware and our 10 machines are fine. So we will have them all migrated by the end of next month. Even if it was forcibly so, we didn't see 7 as a viable option for us anymore.

pokester wrote:

I would like to preface by saying that as long as an operating system is supported by security updates you should feel free to use it, if you choose. Now the reality of the situation at least from my perspective in IT. We were very slow to roll out Windows 10, 7 was just so much more stable and played nice with our custom apps. Beginning last spring 2017 we saw Windows 10 fix most of those compatibility issues then in the fall they disappeared and that was no longer any reason for holding off. In the last 6 months I have seen update after update not playing nice on Windows 7 and the Windows 10 updates not having that issue. I have been wondering if MS is intentionally sabotaging 7. Also our 7 machines are repeatedly being stricken with Malware and our 10 machines are fine. So we will have them all migrated by the end of next month. Even if it was forcibly so, we didn't see 7 as a viable option for us anymore.

You really are a piece of work, pokester. All your posts have an agenda, but before starting to spread the FUD which is your actual reason for posting/replying, you first try to "sweeten" it with some "preface" or by partially agreeing with the previous poster(s). So let's analyze this one. You start by stating that "as long as an OS is supported by security updates then people should be free to choose to use it", implying that those updates are good, useful and safe. But then later you "wonder if MS is intentionally sabotaging Win 7" (with those same updates)... contradictory, to say the least. Then you try to make the point that was your actual reason for posting, that Cancer 10 - in its current and ever changing state - is more stable and bug-free than Win 7, when most tech sites and forums are bursting with examples that show the exact opposite. But the worst is yet to come: you say that your (and your colleagues') Win 7 machines are "repeatedly being stricken with malware". I don't know (and couldn't care less about) who you work for, but if I had people on my IT staff who allowed their machines to be repeatedly infected by malware, regardless of the OS being used, I'd have them fired faster than you could spell FUD. Maybe you and your buddies should consider another line or work.

0 Likes

I am piece of work, and what agenda where? Our decision was purely based on less manpower being needed on 10 at this point. I gave personal opinion as to why our company now made the choice to move forward. Absolutely 10 has had some bad bugs didn't say it doesn't only saying that the recent malware situation has become untenable on Windows 7 for us and our custom app situation is much better. In fact we even have an app we still ran XP for under 7 that now works fine in 10. I don't fault anyones choice for using what they wish to use, especially when it is still supposed to be supported, I see no reason for this difference other than MS isn't giving 7 the attention it still deserves while still being supported. Not sure why you attack me over an opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions are we not? I said nothing offensive at all, and still for the life of me don't get the agenda thing either. As far as if I had people allowing to infect with malware statement. You must not be to well aware of how computers are managed in a corporate environment. The users are locked down about as much as possible. If you fired every person affected by malware repeatedly you would have no employees, in a company IMHO. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I said nothing bad previously about what you said about this or anything else for that matter. Try and lose the hate dude. We are all just expressing our experience and learn from others experience all the time. Other people think of things I have not and that is great. Maybe you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I just saw the debate going on and thought I would add where we are now because a year ago I was completely still on the other side of the fence. I guess having a different opinion makes you a bad guy with an agenda and automatically wrong on all counts. Seems to be the world we live in. I wish you well pedro, I will make sure to not ever comment in any thread you are involved in again, life is too short for this nonsense. 

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 2:20:39 AM CDT, pedro-nf <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

|

Re: Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.4.1 still broke

in Drivers & Software

0 Likes

is not necesary a detail of the problems, they are THE SAME since adrenaline realease.. there is nothing new, maybe 2-3 fps more, but still unstable.. sometimes with the last oficial drivers 18.2.1( and other versions like 18.3.2 and 17.12.2) my gpu is working at 100 and i am just listening music.. and is no a malware ,because it still happening after reinstal windows..and using diferents drivers, but only with adrenaline.. i already made a ask with this problems, no answer, like always..

Dude this problem have many people. I have R9 270X Gigabyte Windforce and I have also this bug. Help only radeonsettings.exe from old drivers 18.2.2. This is problem with radeonsettings.exe