cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rawintellect
Miniboss

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 shows 0 RPM constantly. (no fan control at all)

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD XFX RX 5700 Thicc II
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 

• Display Devices
    • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. ASUS MG248QR 1900x1080 @144Hz 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ROG Strix X399-E Gaming American Megatrends Bios Version 1203
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Antec HCP1000 Platinum Power Supply 1000 Watts

• RAM
    • 64GB

Describe your issue:

• 19.12.2 Shows 0 RPM even if I manually change it to 100%. Also the install is broken as even when doing a clean install it failed with Error 186 "Oops something went wrong" https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb186 

I solved that issue by installing 19.9.2 and then installing 19.12.2. However the 0 RPM issue remains. I am reverting to 19.12.1 until these issues are corrected.

************************************************************************************************************
    Correction fan speed controls only seem to apply to 3D mode so setting a custom curve does nothing for when the GPU is idle. Which is horrible for temps when not gaming.
1 Solution
rawintellect
Miniboss

Holy cow! I Fixed it. Well sort of. I worked AROUND it. Fortunately my XFX RX 5700 THICC II has "dual bios" if the switch is flipped TOWARDS the front of the case (when the card is mounted) then Zero RPM is able to be engaged by the software. 

If you flip the bios switch to the REAR of the case it prevents Wattman (or whatever it's called now) from disabling the fans. My fan curve now works as it always has.

I'm hoping anyone seeing this and is having the problem I had can check to see if their card has dual bios and flip the switch from whatever way it is right now to the other way (I listed my specific card as a reference but different manufacturers may set the switch differently) and resolve their issue as well. 

Cheers!

View solution in original post

37 Replies