cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pokester
MVP

Re: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.x.x - Issues with World of Warcraft DX12

Jump to solution

I don't have great luck with them actually ever replying to me. I don't think it is even 10% of the time. Only an auto response. I just hope the issue ends up on a list of stuff users are complaining of and gets fixed. Please respond back here if they say anything and especially if it fixes anything.

0 Likes
mittwaffen
Adept III

Re: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.x.x - Issues with World of Warcraft DX12

Jump to solution

Can you explain the stuttering more in detail? 

0 Likes
railrunner
Adept II

Jump to solution

Mine was similar to yours:

1) Disable Wifi completely to block internet access

2) Delete the c:\amd\ folders which contain the driver installation files

3) Reboot to safe mode

4) Run DDU to remove AMD drivers

5) Rebooted to regular Windows 10 - Wifi still off, no AMD drivers installed, neither chipset nor graphics

6) Install the latest 18.10 Chipset drivers - reboot

7) Install the latest Adrenalin 19.2.2 graphics drivers - reboot

Everything else is running fine, it's just DX12 WoW. For example, DirectX 12 Civilization VI can be played for hours without a single issue.

However I think I might have found a clue what causes the issues:

World of Warcraft has a graphics option to rescale the default resolution, I have been using it ever since and it has been sitting at 111% (which resambles 3822x1600 up from 3440x1440), which is a nice AA bost for a smoother picture. I have been trying out a lot of things this morning and I finally reset the resolution scaling to 100% (which means the GPU renders the default resolution, in my case 3440x1440, no up- or downscaling!) and I did not get any freezes in Stormwind or Boralus anymore. Setting the resolution scaling back to 111% causes the freezes again, in some cases almost instantly.

Even when starting the game and entering the world with a character, the game is completely smooth, having rescaling enabled caused instant hickups and the game always needed a moment to..."catch up".

Yet the resolution rescaling was working absolutely fine on my Vega 64 throughout all 18x.x driver releases. The issue seems to have been introduced with 19.x.x for whatever reason.

0 Likes
mittwaffen
Adept III

Jump to solution

6) Install the latest 18.10 Chipset drivers - reboot

7) Install the latest Adrenalin 19.2.2 graphics drivers - reboot 

I think thats an issue, Just install the graphics driver; when i use DDU to remove my gpu drivers i still have my chipset installed. Its possible thats causing an issue. Also run DDU a second time.

Can you upload a gif or find me an example of your stutters?

Try using Latencymon and using MSI afterburner resource monitor. 
Screen shot me both should show you drops during frametimes to represent a stutter.

I have a few things you can try when i see some more information. 

0 Likes
railrunner
Adept II

Jump to solution

Ok people, to all of you who experienced similar problems as myself, please check the following:

When you go into the World of Warcraft graphics settings, you can see an option in the top panel called "Resolution Scale", check if it is set to 100% (default) and see if you still experience stuttering, freezes or even crashes using DirectX 12 API.

settings.jpg

This setting allows your (Radeon) GPU to render the game in either a lower (<100%) or a larger (>100%) resolution than your native one and then rescale it to this native resolution, in my case I am running a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor. Using the example from my screenshot (which shows my usual settings I have been using since BfA release), the GPU renders the game at 3822x1600 pixels, then scaling it down to 3440x1440 pixels to match my screen. This leads to a cleaner, smoother image.

This morning I have tried a lot of things which maybe could solve the problems, including doing yet another DDU run, changing the Windows 10 "Gaming" settings, changing the compatibility settings for wow.exe, trying different driver settings like Freesync off or Surface Optimizations off. Nothing helped at all. Then I started playing around with the ingame graphics settings and quickly nailed it down to Resolution Scale.

Setting this back to default 100% *seems* to completely solve any stuttering, any freezes as well as the crashes reporting "WoW access to graphics hardware has been blocked". There still are very obvious spikes showing minimum clockrates, yet I did not notice them in terms of gaming performance, the game was running fluid.

However Resolution Scale was working fine for me ever since and it seems something broke it with the 19.x.x driver releases. I am curious if other people would report back about this. By the way I could also do my warfront world quests in Arathi without a single issue using a resolution scale of 111% - going back to Boralus and bang: Stuttering and freezes were appearing again. Resetting Resolution Scale back to default 100% and the game worked without issues.

0 Likes
railrunner
Adept II

Jump to solution

mittwaffen schrieb:

I think thats an issue, Just install the graphics driver; when i use DDU to remove my gpu drivers i still have my chipset installed. Its possible thats causing an issue. Also run DDU a second time.

Can you upload a gif or find me an example of your stutters?

Try using Latencymon and using MSI afterburner resource monitor. 
Screen shot me both should show you drops during frametimes to represent a stutter.

I can give that a try, however I do not think doing a clean installation for the Chipset drivers could cause any problems. I could also try not using them at all and just install the Adrenalin drivers.

I actually tried a couple of times recording a video showing the stuttering using the built-in Windows 10 recording feature but no chance: Once the stuttering starts while Windows is recording the game, everything crashes completely.

It goes like this: The issue is pretty much present in high-density (CPU limiting?) areas like Boralus or Stormwind. Running or flying around, the screen simply freezes. Sometimes for just a fracture of a second, sometimes for two to three seconds. The game continues as usual, sometimes the next freeze happens right after the previous one, sometime it takes some more running around. At some point, the freeze remains for more than five seconds, nothing happens - then WoW crashes stating access to graphics hardware has been blocked. The driver does not reset by the way, Wattman even continues showing the performance graphs.

wowcrash.png

wowcrash.jpg

Using the default 100% Resolution Scale seems to be working well for now.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Send your results to AMD:

Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes
dustraider8
Adept I

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure I was playing on 100% resolution scale and it was freezing. The screenshots I posted with my settings are on 100%. But I'll try again in a day or two.

0 Likes
bwyazel
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yeah, I was also on 100% render resolution and UI scale when it crashed. One thing to note is that my crash happened precisely when the talking head dialog window thing popped up for a world quest

0 Likes
frcokla86
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Ok so first time here,hey everyone ! ,i tried everything that you guys mentioned in this topic and nothing seemed to work only solution for the moment is to switch to dx11 and w8 for the new driver,although its really frustrating... 

0 Likes