cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zhutwo
Adept I

Radeon Software 20.12.1 "Custom Color" resets on game exit

A little known feature is that having "Custom Color" ON with "Color Temperature Control" OFF lets the GPU read data about the monitor's colour space over the HDMI/DP connection, and adjust the color output accordingly. This allows wide-gamut displays that don't have sRGB clamping to correctly display sRGB content without the need for ICC profiles (or in apps where they aren't supported, ie; most games). It's an awesome feature that saved me from having to return the Dell S2721DGF that suffered from incurable over-saturation without.

The problem is that after exiting any fullscreen game, the setting is reset to OFF. Sometimes the UI resets to OFF, and other times the UI still shows the ON setting, while the feature itself is clearly disabled. I've done some testing and have found that it doesn't matter if the game's profile uses Custom Color. When exiting the desktop, the global setting is always reset to OFF.

NOTE: This issue existed on previous versions as well.

27 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

what HW do you have?
latest Win10 version?

i use Win10 20H2; 20.12.1; R7 2700X + RX580 4G + X370 and dont have that problem ;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Are you using it in the same manner as I am? Custom Color ON, but crucially Temperature Control which defaults to ON, is OFF?

Win10 1909

3700X on X570

RX5700

Monitors are connected via DisplayPort. No ICC profiles active.

I don't see why hardware should matter for this though.

0 Likes

Hi,

yes i use custom color on and temp off
but i also have icc profiles loaded

btw - update your windows to 20H2 - as 20.12.1 works best with it ;)

if update is not resolving issue - clean old driver with DDU and install again

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Did both, no dice. Really think it's something on the software end that I can't do anything about. In any case even if there was some specific step that fixes it, I'd say the fact that it doesn't work as is makes it a bug.

Since I can't edit the OP, I'll have to mention here that it takes a few seconds after exiting the game for the feature to reset. I've recorded a video of this in order to be of help to any AMD Staff: https://streamable.com/u5xuud

I also tested this on both my monitors to rule out anything related to one specific display.

bostonjunk
Adept I

Bumping as I get the same issue

TacoEarthSociety
Journeyman III

i also have the same issue. bump

seanpa98
Journeyman III

Have exactly the same problem for months now, please fix it!

zhutwo
Adept I

Issue still persists on 21.3.1

Video link again for visibility:

https://streamable.com/u5xuud

zhutwo
Adept I

EDIT: double post

0 Likes
jeh
Journeyman III

I also came across this when using the latest bootcampdrivers.com drivers on a 5600m equpped macbook pro. I had to revert to the older Apple-supplied Radeon driver to fix it. AMD please address this.

0 Likes
jeh
Journeyman III

I also came across this when using the latest bootcampdrivers.com drivers on a 5600m equpped macbook pro. I had to revert to the older Apple-supplied Radeon driver to fix it. AMD please address this!

spicegod
Adept II

I too have this issue. its been like this for a long time now. I gave up and just let it be ON, which I don't like but it wont stop enabling itself.

r5 5600x, win 10, rx 6800, also happened on my rx 580.

liakoulee
Adept II

This started happening to me as well ever since I upgraded my Vega to a 6800 XT..

I have tried 3 of the latest driver releases with DDU uninstalls without any success.

Anyone figured out what's causing this yet?

bonyi
Journeyman III

same issue here

Sapphire 5600XT
Radeon version 21.3.1
Windows 10 20H1

would love to set it and forget it for a Dell S2721DGFA, which has no sRGB clamp in its settings

0 Likes

Gigabyte 6700 XT Aorus Elite

Radeon Software 21.4.1

Windows 10 20h2

And also have the Dell S2721DGFA

Every time I close and re-open the Radeon Software app, Custom Color is back to Disabled.

I've tried removing the ICC profile (default sRGB), but it hasn't made a difference.

0 Likes

I have the same problem
No problem with R9 290
This problem occurs when changing to 6800XT

0 Likes

Looks like this was fixed at some point.

I think you might be right. I'm on 21.6.1

0 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that.

21.6.1 seems to fix it. Hopefully it stays that way.

Could have happened a bit quicker but we got there in the end

Thank you, AMD driver team

Sorry about that, I saw this thread and didnt see the issue on my 5700XT, but after seeing more people reporting the same thing, it was checked more thoroughly and we did find an issue here, so it'd be nice to hear if it's the same one you guys are seeing.
It was fixed 1-2 months ago, wasn't really sure when it would reach public release, so there's that delay too ...

0 Likes

Out of curiosity, did this have something to do with games that come with their own colour profile information overriding the driver setting, and then not restoring it properly on application exit? I noticed there'd be the occasional full-screen D3D app (such as Dolphin emulator) that didn't trigger the bug on exit.

0 Likes

I can't go into much details - you don't really need game/app doing something extra, if anything, game/app restoring would only help to avoid the problem.

0 Likes

I meant the Radeon app not restoring the user's settings properly on game exit after deferring to the game's colour profile settings.

0 Likes

For me it is fixed since im using version 21.6.1. But i wasnt testing every single one.

0 Likes

As of driver 21.7.1 the issue is repeatable, aka shuts off after game exit, tested with Fallout 4. Either it's a regression or it wasn't tested with enough varity. 

0 Likes

This must be a **bleep**ing joke, this feature is broken at least 9 months. Why do you have profiles if they doesn't work?

21.7.2 - closing a games that DOES have a Custom Color profile will overwrite the GLOBAL Display setting which DOESN'T have a Custom Color profile.

Expected behavior: If i exit a game that does have a Custom Color profile, up on exit, i expect the driver to load my Global Custom Color profile, instead of inheriting the previous game's settings.

https://streamable.com/vtu307

OBS is unable to record the actual visual changes. What is "interesting" is that the second time i started the game, Crimson loaded the profile, but doesn't applied to the game. So the setting showed 0 saturation (black and white), but the game had colors, i had to change the value and lower it again to be correctly applied.

Ati had the reputation to have bad drivers, it's always "glad" to see that NOTHING has changed in the past 20 years. I cannot wait to the chip shortage to be over so i can jump ship, and never look back.

edit: Ok, i think i've realized that why this isn't working as i expect it. Because there isn't a Global Profile only a Currently active settings, so games just overwrite the Currently active settings and... and that's it. There is nothing to "restore" since there isn't a profile for the desktop. I really hope i'm wrong.

0 Likes

edit2:

Also even if a profile loads for a game and visually in the Driver settings the Custom Color values are loaded, these values are not applied. You have to manually change any of the values which actually applies them. What a hot mess, holly sh1t.

0 Likes