DDR4 2666 8x2
Prefetcher L1/2 - on
4G decoding + SAM - disabled/ enabled
Windows 10 2021 21h2
driver 22.5.1/22.4.2/21.10.2 -all defaults, just ULPS -off
chipset driver 4.06
75 Hz monitor with freesync

no overheats cpu - 64/vrm 58/GPU - 65

Random ms frametime spikes from 5 to 40( ~ once in 5 min ). Spotted in witcher 3 and BFV5, limiting FPS in w3 to sync with monitor (75Hz) worked fine, limiting FPS to 120 in BFV5 - just reduced lags but not eliminate it. Also I noticed freesync doesn't work for some games. (monitor have support of it). Tried to fix maximum/minimum GPU clocks - nothing helped. Anyone spotted the same bugs or I'm alone with that?
Also Doom 2016 suddenly locked to 60 FPS and even sound lags, I dont know why, all disabled, vsync and FPS lock.
200 FPS with vulcan and 5ms frametime, WHY OpenGL performance SO BAD?
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

0 Likes
9 Replies

Ok, I tried 22.Q2 on that system, almost same FPS and lags, PRO driver with horrible OpenGL performance that something new... I think in this situation I better give advice to return that card and change it to rtx 3050, it will be stable.

0 Likes

I don't think Pro drivers are meant to be used with games. Anyways, you should've gotten instead the 22.8.x optional drivers. It greatly increased my OpenGL performance in Wolfenstein: The New Order. Might fix your issue with Doom 2016 if you really don't want to use the Vulcan implementation instead.

Can't say much about your problems regarding Witcher 3 and BFV. From the specs you listed there's a huge possibility that the GPU isn't even the problem. Are the games installed on a hard drive? Are you running with multiple things running in the background? From experience spikes like what you're experiencing is usually due to RAM, Storage, or even CPU limitations. GPU bottlenecks tend to scale much more linearly in comparison.

0 Likes

I tried PRO driver because I think it must be tested better and does not have such serious bugs, but I was wrong. No I have clean install of windows, as always when I testing, even telemetry turned off, only custom background processes is AV and rivatuner and tried to turn it off.
Where's other OpenGL needs beside Doom, Serious Sam for example, 3dsmax.

From the specs you listed there's a huge possibility that the GPU isn't even the problem.
Before rx 6600 in that system he have GTX 1060 6, and have no problem with it, less FPS yes, but who care about high FPS if it's unstable.

Are the games installed on a hard drive?
No, SATA SSD.

CPU limitations

I think it's ok for that card even without boost, but I tried to boost it, AMD dont care about old Mainboards, I limited to 1.2 v and set 4.2 ghz to not overheat CPU, it doesn't help, just gived addition 5-10 fps.

0 Likes

PRO drivers are usually for workstation applications. It's not meant for games whatsoever. Anyways, best course of action for you is really to use the newer 22.8 drivers. I've had massive OpenGL gains on those drivers. It's still far from perfect though. Best to just use Vulcan or DX when available.

I really can't help you much regarding W3 and BFV. In W3's case I've seen people have stuttering issues with both GPU manufacturers. Hence why I asked if it was installed on the HDD or something. In either case it's a janky CDPR game, and stutters are really just par for the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LkokfEeaIQ

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/witcher-3-stutter-rtx-2060.258826/

Links if you don't believe that it also happens on Nvidia. Knowing CDPR, they could've just as easily broken the game through a patch.

BFV is really the weird one since I haven't heard much issues with it outside of the launch window. Maybe you can find better answers here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mwatp7/rx6000_series_cards_suffer_from_framedrops_in_cpu/

Lastly, if you're main issue is frame spikes and stutter, I don't think boost is your answer.

0 Likes

You can use pro drivers on consumer cards just fine, i use Enterprise 21.q3 on my RX 570. But i use workstation GPU's for gaming for over 10 years no issues, unless its a driver issue. But I'm using 21.10.2 on my Radeon Pro W6600, no problems at all. 

For anyone using a 6600 series card, my recommendation is 21.10.2 , compared to the rest they work better, but it usually depends on the card i guess. But for me, 21.10.2 is the fastest compared to the new ones.

0 Likes

Disabling PCI ex link management helped.

0 Likes

Did you try the new opengl drivers? 22.7.1 or 22.8.1?

No, I tried many drivers, nothing helped as I mention before. I hear that driver boost opengl performance but also drop fps in other games and have serious bugs

0 Likes

Well I'm using a Radeon Pro W6600, the 22.7.1 and 22.8.1 does infact increase opengl games performance big time, in my case though, opengl with emulators are worse now. But games in general no issues. All you can do is try it, but with my the new drivers has no problems with games in general, i just have issues with emulators. Compared to the 21.10.2, they're not as good.

But i use 21.10.2 with my 6600, i absolutely have no problems running any game. I recommend them for anyone using a 6600. Doom is capped at 60fps in Opengl, doom vk i get capped 200fps.