cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

direjrt
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 5700 XT crashing in game, black screens, frequent BSODs, frequent restarts

Hello,

I recently just finished constructing my new PC this weekend and have since had nothing but issues. Apologies for the wall of text, as someone who does not know what he is doing I do not know what is relevant.

Specs:

GPU: VisionTek Radeon RX 5700 XT

PSU: Cooler Master 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

Motherboard: MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max)

Display: AOC C24G1 24" 1080p, 1500R VA Panel, 1ms 144Hz

CPU:   AMD RYZEN 5 3600X

Memory: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

Issues: Initially, I started with the latest AMD driver update (20.3.1). When browsing or gaming, the game would freeze and crash variably, either after 5 minutes for some games or 20 minutes on occasion. I was never able to play more than 30 minutes uninterrupted and eventually it started resetting more than every 5 minutes. So I read up on the issue and tried several things. First I deleted MSI afterburner because some said that that was an issue. Still crashed. Then I disabled anti-lag and free sync. Then I downloaded CCleaner to clean my registry. I looked at Windows event viewer but as someone new to this stuff I didn’t really know what I was looking at, all I knew was that it said event ID 1000 everytime the game crashed and that it was probably driver related. Then I did a factor reset of adrenalin software and reset my computer. If anything this made the crashes more frequent for me though it was trending towards more frequency prior to any of these fixes anyways.

I then read that I could downgrade to 19.8.2 as someone said that might fix the issue. So I used DDU to remove my AMD drivers including the everything under C:\AMD then installed 19.8.2 and used windows updater to make sure everything else was updated. It was. I was not in safemode at this point though idk if that makes a difference.

At this point, I started getting frequent BSOD crashes in addition to the game simply crashing. I was getting different errors from SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION to KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED to IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION was by far the most frequent one but I am not tech savvy enough to figure out what this all means other than my GPU is messed up. Then I started to do a couple of other fixes like use BIOS to select PCI Express interface 3 though as far as I can tell my motherboard doesn’t even support PCI E4 so I’m not sure that did anything. I made sure overclocking and XMP were all off which they were because I never turned them on because this is a new PC. After trying out gaming from this point the BSODs got really obnoxious. At one point I had a dozen in an hour and a half, not to mention the regular crashes and black screens that occurred during both gaming and browsing.

At this point I thought to change it back to 20.3.1 because at least it just crashed then and did not BSOD. So I used DDU and reinstalled 20.3.1 but there was no difference. The BSOD was just as bad if not worse. At this point my gpu had been using 1 cable to plug in both the 8 pin and the 6 pin so I dug out another cable and used separate cables for both the 8 and 6 pin. No luck either. Same problems but gradually worse. At this point I was getting BSODs after daring to turn my PC on for more than 2 minutes. I couldn’t even uninstall or reinstall new drivers because my PC would BSOD before I could open DDU. So then I reset my pc to get rid of everything on my drives. The reset was still going after 12 hours despite me not having any files on the PC so I turned it off and on again and then was able to reinstall Windows 10. I was still getting BSODs and a lot of black screens so I was wondering if after all this was not a GPU problem but then I checked the device manager and despite me getting rid of all my files and not updating any drivers it was still using the 5700 XT somehow so I managed to download DDU again in between BSODs and got rid of whatever was running the 5700 XT.

The BSODs stopped completely but obviously the GPU wasn’t being used. So I looked up another stable version and tried 19.7.5 which is where I am at now. I did not download Radeon settings because I heard that could be a problem and so now I just have the driver 19.7.5. The BSODs stopped but my PC still resets out of nowhere.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do so that I can just play games! Is my M.2 NVMe SSD getting in the way? My return period for the GPU and most of my parts are over because I was gradually collecting parts to build my PC because I can’t afford buying everything at once so I am stuck with trying to make the 5700 XT work. When it works it works well but I can’t get it to work! I apologize if I don’t know what I am talking about, I am just an amateur trying to build a PC with my budget! Please help.

Update 1: Nevermind... the BSODs have returned I got the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD after trying to start Mount and Blade: Bannerlord.

6 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

It is best to use an x570 motherboard for a 3000 series Ryzen processor. Because there is the possibility of problems with old motherboard models. Also, in general, x570 motherboards have 8+4PIN CPU power input. 8+4PIN CPU power assisted PSUs are generally very high quality and reduce the probability of having problems. You have both an old model motherboard and a weak PSU.

Follow these ways to get rid of existing problems without buying new hardware. Research how you should make changes using a search engine.

1) Go to the motherboard BIOS and decrease the processor multiplier. For example, try to fix your processor speed to 4Ghz by giving 40 multiplier.

2) To run the graphics card more stable, decrease GPU power limit with WattMan. For example, you can try GPU power limit setting to -30%.

It may be helpful to know for you. The error messages you get are due to the processor not working stably.

All problems= VisionTek Radeon RX 5700 XT

0 Likes

If you have IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD, share your hardware information and I will try to help you.

0 Likes

I was able to try this last night and it worked! I have been able to play without a single interruption for over 8 hours. Thank you so much! I was trying to look up my particular problems on my own but I couldn't quite figure it out. I hope if anyone else has the same issue they come across this.

When I need to update my PSU and MOBO which of the two needs to be more urgently upgraded?

Again, thanks a lot!

0 Likes

If there was urgency, you couldn't use your hardwares properly. But a good (min. 750W (Gold) or better 8+4(8)PIN CPU power supported) PSU can be purchased for increasing stabilization. You probably don't need to use a GPU power limit with a new PSU. If your CPU is going up to high frequencies, the mobo can be a problem. You may experience crashes with your old model mobo, ie 4.4Ghz while your processor is going up. A new x570 can be purchased to solve this problem.

christiang
Adept III

It had a 580, and although AMD drivers have always been rubbish. It worked.
I bought the 5700 Pulse and the problems started. I have the same monitor and the same RAM as you.
AMD clowns do not solve anything and are selling defective products.