cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sdgrant22
Adept II

Radeon RX 460 upgrade crashes Windows 10 mid-upgrade

I've been trying to upgrade the Radeon drivers on my system for months now, always with the same result:halfway through the install, Windows crashes, displays a kernel error message & reboots, leading to a series of BSOD reboots that ultimately send things into repair mode, at which point the only option is to uninstall the drivers, go into Device Manager & delete the device, then restart & let Windows 10 reinstall the basics, then manually reinstall the last working version of the Radeon drivers I've got, v 19.1.1. I've gone through this several times, up to & including v.19.4.3.

System:
AMD A8-3580 APU

Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H motherboard

X64-based

Windows 10.0.17763 Build 17763

This happens whether I try to do a normal update or attempt a clean update.

Anyone have any idea what I can do or what the problem might be? NOTE: I've built computers & am reasonably proficient at them but I don't code

0 Likes
5 Replies
sdgrant22
Adept II

Okay, this is driving me nuts. Spent the afternoon restoring my system after Windows 10 now automatically upgraded graphics to the latest AMD version & the IRQL_not_less_or_equal BSOD came up again & wouldn't let go no matter what I did. A system rollback eventually solved the problem in the moment, but I cannot upgrade the graphics driver without getting that BSOD, as described above. Doesn't anyone have any insight or suggestions? I've done memory checks; no problems. Is there nothing I can do but either completely reinstall Windows & hope that solves it, or replace the graphics card? Anyone?

0 Likes

The problem is the APU and Windows10: Maybe if you disabled the onboard graphics and use the RX460 as Primary?

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
  • AMD E2-2000 APU
  • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
  • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
  • AMD C-Series APUs
  • AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issu

1. Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Pane
  2. Reboot the system
  3. Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.

Thank you. I will ignore the Catalyst updates until I get around to building a more modern system.

Checking Apps & Features in Windows, the driver is listed as AMD Radeon Settings 2017.0424.2119.36535. Is that what it should be? (I had uninstalled the most recent version of Catalyst when trying to get the system up & running & had not reinstalled it. The problem this time around began a couple nights ago when Microsoft tried to update the graphics driver; I eventually had to roll back the system a week to get it functional again, but haven't seen that listing in Microsoft Update again yet.)

Update: As stated above, I removed the AMD driver & am letting Windows update it now. However, when it does, the same thing happens, & I then need to delete the driver in Device Manager then do a system restore to the last setting before the driver installation. This is with the driver Microsoft provides. I disabled my antivirus/web protection software & tried again; same effect.

The one thing I noticed when resetting this time was a restore point was set for today, when the driver updated, that listed UNINSTALL for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.24215. Could that be what's screwing things up?

I've suspended system updates for a week while trying to work this out, but I can't indefinitely & I can't find any way to bypass the AMD driver update the way Windows Update works. Any help would be very much appreciated; the only other alternatives I can think of are replacing the videocard (though as the problem would seem to be with the APU, that doesn't seem like it would accomplish anything) or rebuilding Windows, a long process I'd rather avoid if possible.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
jsebela
Adept I

I just had same problem - windows 10 1903 froze while installer was checking up installed drivers and then it reseted PC.

The problem was solved just now, after I have disconnected my SATA Optical drive. So the most probable cause may be on motherboard in sata controller. (my MB is MSI MPG x570 gaming edge wifi)

0 Likes