cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

valdamez
Journeyman III

Radeon host application makes games and windows video player run poorly when in fullscreen, but not windowed

Videos originally recorded at 60fps, when viewed on the windows video player seems to be 15-30fps. 
The game cities skylines runs poorly unless I end Radeon host task with task manager, but then it opens itself a second after and the frames go lower again. I can, however stop this problem by running the game windowed. same with windows video player. the performance is also normal if i press the windows button while watching a video or playing cities.

the thing is, I want to play fullscreen with normal performance and the only way is to not have radeon host service running, otherwise my fps is super low. (this shouldn't happen anyways, with a ryzen 5 3600, and rx 5700 xt.)

here is a video of cities skylines running poorly in fullscreen but smooth when windowed or after pressing windows button https://imgur.com/AlOWku4

0 Likes
1 Reply
ednec
Journeyman III

I have the same problem.  I'm running with a 3600x and 5700XT Pulse.  The problem started about a week ago and here are a couple of things that cause the "stutter" or FPS drops.

1.  Playing Warzone and I can't watch YouTube on Chrome.  I used to be able to have Warzone (and other games) running while playing a video on the background with no problems.

2.  I can run Classic WoW (Windowed fullscreen) as soon as I turned on the PC with absolutely no problems.  I'll play some R6 Siege with no problems.  But if I then go back to Classic WoW, I CAN'T play in Windowed fullscreen again as frame drops to around 20-30 FPS (from 260+ average).  The problem "fixes" itself when I alt-tab, open a window, or play in Windowed mode (not Windowed fullscreen).  I could run Classic WoW + Warzone/Siege simultaneously without any problems whatsoever.

3.  Games seem to be running a bit heavier lately, I can't really explain it.  It almost feels like there's a bit more input lag even if FPS don't reflect any changes.

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I think I was already running the latest drivers before the problem started.  I also don't have automatic Windows updates and I don't think I updated before this started happening.

Stutter/frame drop problem - YouTube 

EDIT:  ++ Possible "fix"++

A friend suggested to turn off instant replays/recordings and such because Shadowplay (he owns Nvidia) has been known to have similar problems.  I turned off Instant Replays and Record to Desktop, and the frame drops were 100% gone.  I then turned ON Instant Replays while leaving Record to Desktop OFF, and I still had no frame drops.

0 Likes