cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

capmerah
Newcomer

Radeon drivers from windows update or Radeon drivers from AMD website?

I experienced multiple crashes and BSOD whenever i tried to update to the latest drivers and even 18.5.1(auto detect) from AMD website. Sometimes after installing from official AMD without crashes and BSOD, a few mins later I received the same issue. This BSOD/crash has no error code and it occurs at random so I can't isolate. I tried an alternative by updating to version 17.1.1(that is old) which automatically picked from windows update, so far my PC didn't crash at all. So updating to the latest radeon drivers from this official AMD website is not safe for me now?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Microsoft will automatically install the latest WHQL driver it has. You installed a beta drier from AMD. Microsoft sees that as not being the latest drivers according to it's data...and will install the latest version it has. And no, it doesn't tell you that.There are 123 posts about this...if you use Win10, take what steps are necessary to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically installing/changing drivers....it's best to disconnect from the internet while uninstalling/installing the new drivers. Windows 10 Help Forums

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Microsoft will automatically install the latest WHQL driver it has. You installed a beta drier from AMD. Microsoft sees that as not being the latest drivers according to it's data...and will install the latest version it has. And no, it doesn't tell you that.There are 123 posts about this...if you use Win10, take what steps are necessary to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically installing/changing drivers....it's best to disconnect from the internet while uninstalling/installing the new drivers. Windows 10 Help Forums

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers