cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Radeon Chill. Adrenalin 18.10.2 BSODS when attempting to modify Chill Max independent of FRTC.

I have been looking at Radeon Chill again, in Adrenalin 18.10.2, 18.10.1, 18.9.1  to see if anyhing has improved in Radeon Chill in the past 1.5 years to make it worth using on my GPU's at all.

One of the more minor issues/problems I see in the past is I am unable to set FRTC independently of Chill Max.
I did think I saw some comments related to ability to set FRTC independently of Chill Max in a previous Adrenalin Driver release earlier this year and I think I remember downloading, testing it quickly, and it did not work at the time.
On the other hand ... I might have misread or misunderstood that. I have just looked at all the Adrenalin Driver release notes and I see no mention of Chill Max setting independent of FRTC.

If anyone knows anything on the topic of recent changes to setting FRTC independent of Chill Max I would be interested to know.

Anyhow. I start discussion regarding Fresh install of Adrenalin 18.10.2 Driver on Recent fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit on a brand new 2TB Seagate SSHD. Windows system and disk checks pass.

I tested both CGSO and Overwatch. Both games BSOD. 100% hit rate so far.

System Information:

CPU = i7-4790K running with no overclock applied (all cores set to 4.1GHz).

GPU1 = R9 Fury X Primary.

GPU2. R9 Nano Secondary.
Crossfire off. No OC on GPU Clck. Cant change HBM frequency. Standard R9 Fury X and Nano BIOSes.

DDU and fresh install of Adrenalin 18.10.2. Driver.

Asus Z97 Deluxe NFC + Wireless.

Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP.

OS Windows 10 64 bit 18.03.

Low cost Viewsonic VX2577 1080p Monitor used foir testing. FreeSync Range = 44-75Hz at 1080p, 44-60Hz at 4K.

Problem description in Adrenalin 18.10.2.

If I set FRTC in Global Setiings to 74.

I turn on Chill in Global Settings on.

I go to Game profile.

I set Chill Min = 45, Chill max = 300.

I turn FRTC off.
I launch Game.

The game launches and I set it to full screen mode.

I see the following Frame rates.

Move mouse rapidly, Frame rate limited to 74 FPS! That is great. Global FRTC value has been applied

Character stationary I see FPS = 45 = Chill Min - as expected.
Use WASD to move game character. I see Keyboard only Input FPS at higher values I expect to see by having Chill Max at 300 versus the lower values I would see if Chill max were 74.
So that is better than I have seen before. That is an improvement versus previous behaviour I have seen with Chill and Global FRTC on my GPU's.

Now, the next part is tricky - If I open Radeon Overlay and open the Chill Menu I sometimes get an instant BSOD

In cases where I do not get an instant BSOD, after DDU and reinstall the driver...

If I open the Radeon Overlay and adjust Chill Min down to 30 FPS and close the Radeon Overlay that works fine. I see 30FPS with no game input. I see really low FPS (~ 50) with WASD keuboard input, as expected. 
If I open the Radeon Overlay and increase Chill Min that also works.

If I open Radeon Overlay Chill Menuand adjust Chill Max I get the following message "FRTC has been adjusted to {the value of Chill Max}.
If I close the Radeon Overlay and reopen it sometimes an FRTC TAB appears, sometimes it does not.
If the FRTC TAB does appear and I adjust FRTC in the Overlay Menu I see no message regarding Chill Max but if I then look at the Chill Max values in the Radeon Overlay Menu I see that Chill max = the value I set for FRTC.
All values in the Radeon Overlay  get synced to the adjusted FRTC = Chill max in the Adrenalin AMD Settings menu, including Global FRTC.

Why is this a problem?

Because I had Chill Max = 300 to get ~ useable high Keyboard only input FPS but... if that value of 300 is used to set the Frame Rate Limit then 300 >>> 75 Hz Freesync range of the monitor, so no FreeSync benefit.

I will open an AMD Reporing form and another email support case.
I will also post video link here showing the fact that Chill max and FRTC are set equal on my GPU if I try to set them both in Game Profile.
I will also post video showing turn off Game profile FRTC and overlay behaviour and BSOD.

Radeon Chill is still broken and not worth using on my AMD GPU's.
Why can't I modify Global FRTC independently of Chill Max?
Why the BSOD with Radeon Overlay Chill Menu?

Bye.

0 Likes
14 Replies