cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

al587
Adept I

Radeon and Graphics Card Issues (RX 470)

Hello Everyone,

I am using an RX 470 and I have been having some issues I think are due to the AMD Radeon software. Occasionally, I will be using my computer, nothing graphics intensive such as using Google Chrome, and my monitor will just lose signal. As this happens, the fans in my RX 470 will continuously run at max speed. I tried leaving it alone to see if it will self correct and nothing ever happens. I have tried unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in from both ends. The only remedy I find is to manually turn off the computer by holding down the power button. After rebooting the computer, AMD Radeon seems to uninstall itself. When I type "Radeon" in the start bar of Windows, it will pop up as an option to open, but when I try to open it, it says, "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." When I do reinstall the drivers, everything seems to work fine for awhile, until the same issue happens again! Please help me with this issue if you can.

Much apricated, 

A.

19 Replies

Windows 10?

You must prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically  installing drivers.

Screenshot_2.png

0 Likes

Why so?

0 Likes

Because it sounds like Microsoft is reading your driver as not up to date (Microsoft version) and will replace it. Common issue. After you change the preference(s) reboot then do a clean install of the proper AMD driver.

0 Likes

Microsoft will do this automatically, while I am using my computer? It does not happen immediately after I turn on my computer it is random, just while I am in the middle of using it.

0 Likes

Man it can happen anytime. That's why the option is there. Spend some time on Google for more information.

0 Likes

UPDATE: As I was installing the drivers, I received a pop up that says, "We detected the display driver has failed to load on your system. A bug report has been generated. This report could help AMD find a solution."

0 Likes

Try using the AMD driver removal / cleaner tool first then reinstall the driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601#faq-Overview 

0 Likes

I am still having issues and I tried all of these things.

0 Likes

Hi @al587 

Usually in my case (RX 480) when its' fans spins at full-speed and it disconnects from the display it means the GPU is going into safe mode and protecting itself.

In my case this usually happens when the thermal paste on the GPU is not working successfully anymore and I have to very carefully clean, re-apply and spread perfectly with the plastic shovel over the GPU chip. Last time I used DeepCool Z5 and was the best affordable Thermal Compound I have used thus far.

But, there could but other reasons as well before I would attempt this and also investigate how much warranty years you have left.

- How many GPUs do you have in your system? (including integrated Intel or AMD) you might have to clean install them with their latest drivers before clean installing your RX 470 driver.

- First thing I would do in your case; but this will cause a black screen; is to pause your windows updates, then Device Manager->Display Adapters, right click RX 470 and Uninstall Device (don't worry Windows usually reinstalls basic driver on restart, but make sure you have important information backed up in case you have to re-install windows). Then wait a minute to see if the screen comes back, otherwise restart with the restart button on computer case.

- After doing this, download DDU and also AMD Cleanup Utility. (1) Restart your computer in Safe-Mode and uninstall AMD GPU driver with DDU. Afterwards, (2) Run AMD Cleanup Utility and select the uninstall in Safe Mode option.

- Lastly, before doing all this make sure you have 21.6.2 driver download somewhere on your computer, and then after following all these previous steps install the driver.

* If it is still not working there might be permission issues on one of your drivers causing the driver to not install correctly, I have seen this happen.

* Monitor GPU temperatures, FAN speeds, Power Usage and Clockspeed while gaming with MSI Afterburner and RTSS, if your GPU is reaching 83-90C degrees with power usage > 108W and FAN Speed > 80% with clock speeds jumping around you are hitting a combination of thermal throttling and power throttling, and you will either have to neatly re-apply thermal compound self or use the warranty to get it fixed or replaced.

Kind regards

0 Likes

That's very interesting. Do you think the issue could be thermal despite the fact that this issue still occurs less than a minute after turning it one at times? I can't imagine it gets that hot that fast. Also, when I went into Device Manager, the only things listed within the Display adapters was Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. What do you suggest? Thanks

Hi @al587 

It depends on how long ago the computer was on before booting it up again; for example, if the computer locked up due to getting too hot and then shutting it down and only waiting 0-4min it could possibly get too hot again. But this sounds more like it can be a corrupted settings scenario.

What I think you can also do is to reseat your graphics card if you are confident enough in not damaging it, it might be that it is not properly making connection.

Otherwise I would still follow the steps I described, where you just now uninstall the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" instead of "RX 470" which will most like cause a black screen, but just wait a few seconds after the uninstall and then restart your PC so that Windows will then again do a clean install of the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter automatically.

Thereafter, continue with the rest of the steps I described.

Kind regards

So I did as you instructed and everything went smoothly. Afterwards, I opened up a game and the same issue happened. I'm not sure what to do

There is some progress though, the drivers aren't disappearing anymore after it crashes

Hi @al587 

I am glad to hear some progress has been made.

Were you able to test the temperatures with MSI Afterburner yet?

You can also try testing your RX 470 in another computer, it is possible that it can be the PSU, but I think the computer completely shuts down the instead of hardlocking.

Kind regards

So I played a game for a few minutes until it crashed again (approximately 5 mins) and the graphics card temperature was between 65-70 degrees C with fans speeds reaching 48%

Update: In MSI, I turned my fans to 100% and was able to play 20 mins straight keeping the temps around low 50s. After that approximate 20 mins, I exited the game and put the fans back on auto. Not even 5 seconds after that, it just crashed. Is there something wrong with the drivers causing the GPU to go into safe mode due to what it thinks are "high" temps?

0 Likes

Hi @al587 

Those are safe temperatures for the GPU, but rather leave fan speeds to auto, since it will balance fan speed and clock speed as necessary.

There might be some other component in the computer giving trouble. I would try testing your GPU in another computer to see if it also hardlocks, but the fact that you were able to play longer with fan speeds at 100% is also strange, indicating that some parts of the thermal paste might have dried out.

How new is your GPU? Remember even if you bought it new it could have been laying around somewhere for 4 years which might lead to thermal paste drying out.

Kind regards

I got this GPU approx. 4 to 5 years ago. I also do not have another computer to test this GPU in. It should be known though that these crashes only returned again once I updated my drivers and updated Windows. Between the time I originally posted this forum thread and now, there were no issues. This is why I do not believe temperature is the issue, but something to do with drivers. What do you think?

Hi @al587 

You may very well be right, silly me I just helped this guy yesterday or the day before and he has the same card as you, but I forgot due to the different topic, but might be the same issue.

Here is the link to his solution: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/how-do-you-find-and-roll-back-to-an-older-driver/m-p/4...

Maybe try using a driver such as 21.5.1, I do not know if you have tried the new 21.6.2, but I would say try 21.5.1.

AMD really needs to hold back a little on their new cards and focus on the previous five years of issues they have not attended to since everything new they introduce breaks something else.

Kind regards

0 Likes