cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pedro-nf
Adept III

Re: Radeon Adrenalin v18.2.3 won't install the Radeon Settings tool

Immense thanks  ** STAY OFF THE PERSONAL ATTACKS PLEASE ** All reports show drivers and applications as successfully installed. RadeonSettings.exe is in CNext like it should, but won't start. Here's the specific report from trying to run it:

Source

Radeon Settings: Host Application

Summary

Stopped working

Date

‎23/‎02/‎2018 00:54

Status

Not reported

Description

Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    RadeonSettings.exe

Application Version:    10.1.2.1703

Application Timestamp:    5a8b7db9

Fault Module Name:    ucrtbase.DLL

Fault Module Version:    10.0.10586.1171

Fault Module Timestamp:    59ae5010

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    000000000001a519

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:    6153

Additional Information 1:    3d93

Additional Information 2:    3d9325af5f26901782394c60213e82d5

Additional Information 3:    3142

Additional Information 4:    3142d4aa92f88291c1a3156ad1aaff57

goodplay
MVP

One for tech staff ray_m amdmatt​ re that fault module name/vers.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
pokester
MVP

No it is not what I say, it is what the creator of DDU says and the countless users of the product that would be stuck with graphical issues in both AMD and nVidia camps without DDU. I even ran a google search of this topic and found ZERO issues of this happening. So again if you choose not to take the advice to give it a try in fear it will remove something it shouldn't, well that is your choice, I certainly respect that, plus I'm not the one with a problem. Only trying to help not hurt your situation. I had the exact same issue when I installed 18.2.1, radeonsettings.exe would install but would not launch DDU from safemode fixed it.

According to AMD and specifically with the New 18.2.3 Afterburner should not be used. What you choose to do and what MSI says works are often times different things than what AMD would have you do. I only know that when I am trying to fix a problem, I first remove potential variable from the equation, I then may add them back in when the solution is found. I am in no way suggesting you need to change long term what you do. Just helping you to figure out where your problem lies.

You may find this thread concerning Afterburner useful. It has some support on both sides: 18.2.3 prevents MSI Afterburner from starting with Windows

headlessgnome
Adept I

I also have problems with 18.2.3, dialog that comes up after installation is complete won't have the buttons which were normally there so I have to close the window by clicking close window button but nothing seems to happen, my driver stays 18.2.1. Cleaning drivers with DDU and installing drivers from scratch didn't work either, so now I am out of drivers. Please fix this BS, I am always having this kind of problems every so often and I'm tired.

headlessgnome
Adept I

Tried updating my graphics adapter driver in device manager and now everything is as should be, I think it has to do with the insider preview which I can't roll back from to older builds.

pedro-nf
Adept III

The issue persists on version 18.3.2. I even tried uninstalling MSI Afterburner and removing previous drivers in safe mode via DDU, which obviously didn't change anything. This is the first time ever that I've had a graphics driver's own control panel crash on me since Windows 95.

pokester
MVP

Radeon Settings crashes a lot for all of us. It's not just you. Luckily you just right click the desktop and start it up again. Yes it would be nice for sure if it didn't crash but it hasn't stopped me from getting my settings as I need them yet.

0 Likes
pedro-nf
Adept III

pokester wrote:

Radeon Settings crashes a lot for all of us. It's not just you. Luckily you just right click the desktop and start it up again. Yes it would be nice for sure if it didn't crash but it hasn't stopped me from getting my settings as I need them yet.

Never had it crash on me until 18.2.3. And it doesn't run, lets me use it and then crashes, it crashes while it's trying to start. Thanks for your always extremely valuable and insightful input.

pokester
MVP

Count yourself lucky then many of us haven't had a stable Radeon Settings since it came out. I think a lot of the instability is dependent on how many games you have and that tab is trying to load. For instance I just set this machine up 2 weeks ago and until I started loading my game library back it popped open quick and I cold quit without it crashing. Not sure if your thanks was cynical or sincere, I'll hope for the latter, as I only ever try to help anyone.

0 Likes
pedro-nf
Adept III

I tried this workaround and it worked for me, allowing me to install version 18.3.3 AND have access to Radeon Settings:

1 - Run the installer for the 18.3.3 drivers or any of the BOTCHED drivers (18.2.3 and later). Restart the system when installation completes.

2 - Unlike someone else suggested somewhere, DO NOT uninstall Radeon Settings. Run the installer for the 18.2.2 drivers, select Custom Install and uncheck all boxes except the Radeon Settings box. Restart the system when installation completes.

3 - After the system restarts, Radeon Settings can be accessed in all its glory - the 18.3.3 driver component versions (packaging, D3D, Vulkan, etc.) are all correctly reported, game profiles work, Wattman works (I don't use it but tested it). DXDiag and MSI Afterburner also report the driver version correctly.

4 - Games tested: ET, Rust, PUBG. Graphics applications tested: MSI Afterburner, Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley.