cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sur6e
Elite

Radeon Adrenalin software keeps freezing up randomly

It feels like it has something to do with the tooltips, as if that's the time it most often freezes up, when they pop up, while a menu is open or I happen to move the cursor off a button at the time that one should pop up, etc. Could be a coincidence. Either way it just freezes. Whole UI unresponsive and it doesn't recover. I can however move the whole window around still, but nothing else. I have to end task and relaunch it. If I'm more swift with the mouse movements and pause until after tooltips have shown it seems to happen less.

Just switched from a gtx 970 that blew smoke to an xfx rx580 black edition. So I'm new to the adrenalin software but I'm not at all new to drivers/software/troubleshooting. Just wonder if it's a known issue or ideas on what it could be.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes
7 Replies

The Radeon Settings is a disaster IMHO. Many say it is no issue for them, I have 4 computers at home and all 4 have issues with Radeon Settings being very unresponsive - crashing frequently. With the 2019 adrenaline drivers it has become about 10x worse. You are not alone, I don't know a fix or I'd be doing it. Apparently enough people are not complaining to AMD because they don't even acknowledge it is an issue. So please do the only thing you can, to let them know about the issue with your product, and open a support ticket: Online Service Request | AMD

0 Likes

Already, I entered a ticket. Thanks.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes

I wanted to also add since you are new to your rx 580, if you begin playing games and notice the game hangs screen goes black or freezes on a color and you still here the sound continuing, this is common on these cards. Do yourself a favor find the Power Limit Slider in Wattman under gaming/global settings and slide it to its maximum of 50 this will greatly help the stability of that card. I have your same card and these are my settings that are rock solid if you are interested.

Anytime you update the driver or get a graphics crash these will return to default. So just set it and save it to a profile and you can reload that profile to recover your settings.

These AMD cards can require a bit of tweaking but once dialed in are pretty trouble free aside from driver issues you just have to hope eventually get fixed. But that's the same story from any card maker. I have nvidia cards too, and they have their driver bugs as well.

Good Luck with your new card, I game with my on ULTRA at 1440p and find it to be a very capable card. Definitely the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Thanks, I'll try this out. I was playing with some overclocking last night to see where its max is but I didn't get to dial it in. So far it's totally stable with defaults, or with OC+ and no power changes etc. The only issue so far is the software being annoying. Love that I can finally use freesync. I got excited that nvidia finally opened it up until I learned it's the 10 series or newer cards (because the DP port version isn't good enough I guess). So even though evga replaced my card (outside warranty) I couldn't go back and lose freesync so I kept the 580.

I don't yet understand the power/fan settings and how they affect heat and where the card starts throttling so I got a little more reading to do.

Care to share the specifics on the fan curve? I've had to reopen the app at least a dozen times to try and get it looking similar.

0 Likes

Actually that fan curve makes it too loud for me.

0 Likes

If your fine on defaults then no you don't need to change a thing. It could be with your newer XFX card that they have finally made appropriate changes in the BIOS to help the cooling and power. Over a year ago most had to adjust settings in the drivers. So that is good news. I would not mess with any of that stuff unless you see an issue. If you do see stability issues in games you might try the power limit increase. If that doesn't help then usually it is heat related. If yours is good at defaults that is super!

0 Likes

Thank you so much. Those settings are indeed rock solid. !!!

0 Likes