Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pfelipe23
Journeyman III

Radeon 7730M - BSOD after installing AMD Software

Hello everyone!

Few days ago (maybe Feb 5) I was notified by AMD Radeon Software that was a new driver available (i.e. 18.2.1) for my device (i.e. Radeon HD 7730M), and then I started the driver upgrade.

My nightmare starts here: During the installation (on "video card driver" point), everything froze! I tried to restart (after 30 minutes waiting), but when Windows started, the BSOD happened: "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER".

"Okay, I'll uninstall this driver with DDU on safe mode and re-install the last driver (I don't remember exactly the driver's version, but I think it was 17.2.X)." - I thought...

I tried to install the 17.2.1: Everything froze during installation, BSOD on restart.

"Maybe there's some junk on registry, let's format all C drive..." - I thought.

Resuming: I re-installed the Windows and deactivated the GPU driver update on Windows Update, and it keeps freezing and giving me BSOD when I try to install any AMD Software (I tried the last release of 15, 16 and 17 series, and the 18.2.1).

Now I have the full system up to date (some drivers updated via Drive Booster 5), Windows with no updates available, and a restore point called "LastStable" just in case...

How can I solve this issue?

System Specifications:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon HD 7730M.
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520).
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.1.
  • Display Devices
    • Default notebook display (1920 x 1080).
    • LG Flatron W1752T, connected in VGA (1440 x 900).
  • Bios Revision
    • A11 (the last available on Dell's website)
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel i7 3632QM, 2.2 GHz (Intel Turbo installed, it goes up to 3.2 GHz).
  • RAM
    • 16GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz.
0 Likes
4 Replies
guks
Journeyman III

Hello,

I have the same computer and same configuration. I struggle to make graphics work correctly with windows 10 1703 and since my update in 1709, i m stuck again.

For your BSOD problem, the problem comes from he ULPS option (ultra low power state). If you disable it in the registrer (ENABLEULPS = 0) you will make the BSOD disapear. Note that each time you change your drivers, this option will be again turn to 1 (i personnaly turn the value to 0 during the installation)

Note that this doesn't solve the switchable graphics issue (make the 7730 to run when it is needed). Here are my notes of what was working on windows 10 1703 :

ULPS = 0

Options d'alimentation :

PCI express = disable

Intel = max perf

ATI = Max perf

Drivers

Intel = 07/04/2017 (version win64_153345.4653)

ATI = 22/06/2015 (default windows 10 driver)  Note that you need the amd control pannel to recognize your card for that to work

Good luck !

Let me ask you something... What is the AMD driver's version? On this link​, all 2015 drivers are for Win 7.

I'm afraid that my GPU got screwed :c

0 Likes
tahadj
Journeyman III

dear pfelipe23 iam using same machine with i5 specs please install your all drivers from dell website with the help of your service tag OR the second option uninstalled all video drivers and install Dell SupportAssist this will download and install all up-todate drivers as system requires .. iam using windows 10 1803 vr and its perfectly fine every thing in my lappy

Good luck !

0 Likes