Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

erickgruis
Adept I

Radeon 6900XT on Linux openCL broken

System:
Manjaro KDE
Kernel 5.12rc5 (have tried 5.11 and 5.10 also)
amdgpu-pro 20.50
Ryzen 3800XT
Radeon 6900XT (x2) - Reference cards
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi (with latest BIOS - have tried several BIOS with same result)

OpenCL installs fine via the opencl-amd script that pulls the amdgpu Ubuntu package and installs only the openCL portion.

But, running clinfo hangs when trying to display info for the second GPU.  Trying to mine ethereum with both cards results in 0.00H/s.  If I mine on only the GPU in the first slot (gpu0) it works fine.

Mining works fine on Windows 10 so I don't think it's any kind of a hardware issue.

1 Solution
erickgruis
Adept I

For anyone else struggling to get some Radeon RX6000 GPU's working to mine Eth on Linux, here is what I did to get it working:

Latest kernel 5.12rc7
Manjaro KDE

Install amdgpu-pro 20.40 using this PKGBUILD file.  This will download the pro driver version 20.40 and extract the openCL driver to work alongside the open source driver.

Drivers 20.45, 20.50 and 21.10 do not work with the big Navi cards.  AMD, this is utterly ridiculous!  I was so excited to see 21.10 in the repositories only to find it still doesn't work (clinfo hangs half way through the second card and mining delivers 0.00H/s)

Drivers 20.45 and onward worked fine for me when using only 1 GPU in the first PCIE slot.  When I added a second GPU things simply failed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
erickgruis
Adept I

For anyone else struggling to get some Radeon RX6000 GPU's working to mine Eth on Linux, here is what I did to get it working:

Latest kernel 5.12rc7
Manjaro KDE

Install amdgpu-pro 20.40 using this PKGBUILD file.  This will download the pro driver version 20.40 and extract the openCL driver to work alongside the open source driver.

Drivers 20.45, 20.50 and 21.10 do not work with the big Navi cards.  AMD, this is utterly ridiculous!  I was so excited to see 21.10 in the repositories only to find it still doesn't work (clinfo hangs half way through the second card and mining delivers 0.00H/s)

Drivers 20.45 and onward worked fine for me when using only 1 GPU in the first PCIE slot.  When I added a second GPU things simply failed.

Wedge009
Adept II

Note that amdgpu-pro has switched to ROCr-based OpenCL for Vega GPUs and later for version 20.45 onwards. 20.40 and previous uses PAL-based OpenCL.

The fact you have anything running at all is one better than me. I run GPU applications in BOINC and ROCr-based OpenCL breaks everything there (nothing GPU-related that I normally run in BOINC works).

As best as I can tell, PAL-based OpenCL is still used on Windows even with 20.45 and later, so this is clearly Linux-specific.

Edit: Currently I am also stuck on amdgpu-pro 20.40, in order to remain on PAL-based OpenCL. This is infeasible as a long-term strategy, however, as it also means I am stuck on an old kernel (Ubuntu kernel 5.4.0-54, to be exact), as there are incompatibilities between newer kernels and driver 20.40.

I'm running kernel 5.12rc7 with amdgpu-pro 20.40.  It seems to work great for me so far but my use case is pretty narrow.

0 Likes

I hink you don't need the compiled driver at all, anyway the headless installation process of ROCr depends on the pro-driver to install and dkms fails. On Ubuntu 20.4.3, you can boot with the compatible kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, then install the driver via

sudo ./amdgpu-install --opencl=rocr --headless

You might need to add the user to the groups "render" and "video" and then reboot. Check if opencl works and reboot again, but this time use the kernel of your choice. In my case, 5.14.9-051409-generic.

0 Likes