cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rbufba
Journeyman III

Radeon 550 rapidly oscillating from 0 to 100% usage

Hello people. I use a Ryzen 5 3600.16 gb of DDR4 RAM, and an AMD Radeon 550 card. My motherboard is an ASUS B360M Gaming HD. For some time now I have noticed some crashes in the mouse slowing down the use of the computer. I installed the AMD program to monitor Radeon and realized that my GPU is oscillating in less than 01 minutes several times from 0 to more than 90% (sometimes reaching close to 100%). When the GPU gets close to 100%, it is the moment when the mouse cursor slows down. I updated Windows with the latest update 1909 (KB4532693) and I had the feeling that it improved a little, but the RAdeon monitor still indicates peaks of almost 100% frequent. Remembering that these spikes occur even if no application is running. Does anyone have a similar problem? Can someone help me?

0 Likes
8 Replies
rbufba
Journeyman III

Hello people. After I uninstalled the Radeon software with the card's drivers, the second monitor obviously stopped working. But the main one still works and the computer has significantly improved the problem. I will try to reinstall the AMD software to see if it will solve the problem.

0 Likes
instant_win
Adept III

if you are talking about CTRL+SHIFT+O performance monitor, it is broken since bronze age era and shows who knows what. dont use it. install msi afterburner and check "enable unified gpu usage monitoring" in options. another example of amd driver quality

0 Likes
Qanatoz
Challenger

I noticed this problem when used rx560. I think problem is factory defaults of power states.

They undervolted too much. Fixed mine with changing state 0 to higher values +15-25 mv and for other states up to state 4 so that they nearly equal. You can fix it with hex editor or bios editor but I will not recommend you to do so. New drivers will never fix this issue.

0 Likes
rbufba
Journeyman III

Hello people. I noticed a few things. I started to monitor the GPU usage by MSI Afterburn (with the option "enable unified gpu usage monitoring"). It was interesting that by MSI my motherboard no longer gave those 100% spikes as the AMD Adrenaline monitor showed. The Windows Task Manager also did not show this intense use, being similar to the use reported by MSI afterburn.

Well, I reinstalled Adrenaline as directed by AMD support personnel. And what I realized, when I left the AMD performance monitor open on the second monitor so that I could watch the GPU usage while doing everyday tasks (email, word, excel, etc.), the GPU usage got bigger in MSI afterburn showing use of 20 but oscillating from 02 or 03 to 20 a25. After I closed (actually minimized, since the program is open minimized on the taskbar), the GPU usage on MSI Afterburn was stable at close to 0, sometimes fluctuating to 4 or 9. But never more than that. My conclusion is that Adrenaline's performance monitoring was significantly consuming the use of the GPU. MSI afterburn does not do this.

Now I am going to monitor the use of my machine. If the crashes continue, I will format it because it could be someone mining from my PC, but I doubt that because both GPU and CPU are close to zero in everyday use. We'll see.

0 Likes

Do not do unnecessary things. Turn off AMD overlay and other unneeded functionality by system menu. Use only recommended software versions.

Spikes caused by GPU instability in some situations (like switching between browser and game) to check it you can look for DWM.exe, try to move windows by mouse with 1000 hz input rate to see if it bugged.

I fixed this behavior by offsetting GPU vcore by 15 mv.

0 Likes

Qanatoz

Could you explain to me how to perform this increase in vcore? I use the Adrenaline drive. Was it for him?

0 Likes

You can't change state 0 with Adrenaline. You need to edit bios (you will lose warranty). Tools needed for this: PolarisBiosEditor, atiflash and atikmdag-patcher(if your driver lock functionality after bios editing).

Before doing P-state editing read all default values with Adrenaline performance tuning. You need to change only first four of them by adding 15-25 mv to values. If you don't know how to offset, you need to edit all GPU voltages to default values that you saw in adrenaline performance tuning. Values that you will see can be 65282-65288 it is normal.

Please read manual before doing something, because if you do something wrong your GPU can be permanently damaged or in need to flash bios by soldering it.

Don't do anything if you don't understand what text above means.

0 Likes

When at idle my RX 480 sometimes slows right down. I am aware that WDDM calls do use the GPU for the WDM to handle explorer properly. Fonts and even a browser all use the GPU for rendering etc.

0 Likes