cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Radeon 20.11.3 Drivers meant for the 6000 series it seems

I've tried the 20.11.3 drivers, in fact drivers since September seem to break more than they fix. They seem to be geared toward the 6000 series and cause more problems with the RX 5600 XT in my case, others have similar issues with the RX 5700 XT.

Every release there's 9-10 "fixes" and 12 known issues that seem to never get resolved or grow. I would conclude that with all the Vulcan extensions in it regarding ray tracing, that it is very much a 6000 series driver vs. anything else.

For me, 20.8.3 was the last working well driver and owners of the RX 5700 XT in the review community say the same. Perhaps AMD should streamline driver releases to relate to specific cards so more issues get addressed rather than overlooked or ignored.

Introducing new drivers with more problems for the current cards in use is creating more complaints and driving customers away.

Although the RX 5600 XT and RX 5700 XT are considered E.O.L's, they will be around for quite awhile as will the RX500 series since the 6800XT/6900XT are very pricey and never in stock. In addition there's plenty of complaints regarding those cards that seem to be driver related. Slow down and get them right, might be a plan.

"It worked before you broke it!"
5 Replies
Uneducated
Journeyman III

I just want to thank you. Every game was crashing, Black screens, green, and even some Bsod. Rolling back to 20.8.3 fixed everything. So thank you again.

Hey, just trying to help. Glad it worked. I have a few posts on here advising the same thing to others having issues with the November driver. The OP on here that posted no issues with it, don't know. That's about the only one I've heard so far with a RX 5700 XT or a RX 5600 XT, that had zero issues with that version. Must be the brand of card?

The full "solution" is to use DDU first in "safe mode" then install 20.8.3 . Then for a bonus and a bit more stability, go into the "performance", "tuning" area. Click on "automatic", "undervolt GPU" and write that number down. Switch to "manual" and enter that lower number into the "max" voltage area under the "advanced controls", "fine tuning". Then navigate to the power limit and set that to max. This allows the GPU to take more juice as needed, if it needs more than the undervolt. Think of it as a "reserve". The GPU doesn't tap that power limiter until it's used up the max voltage set under "fine tuning" and then only takes what it needs, not all of it. These 5000 cards come out running far more voltage than needed.

I also then set a custom fan curve that keeps my fan at 33% idle, ramping so at 61c it's at 75%, beyond it's at 100%. My temps stay at 65c GPU/70c VRAM max during hard gaming. Most 5700XT run hotter even with the undervolt/fan curve listed above, but less than stock temps.

The 5700XT likes to run best at a max of 1900Mhz GPU clock, seems any higher some experience problems there. The 5600 XT maxes at 1820Mhz GPU clock and it never pegs it. My 5600 XT hits 1797 or so at most, no matter what game. VRAM is definitely variable on 5600XT's like mine is rated to max at 1860Mhz but is unstable after some time. At 1800Mhz it's rock solid and the FPS is the same. The 5700XT is plenty stock, so no real OC advantage but there is still an undervolt that helps with temps. Just tossing this in for those might have temp or stability issues lingering. Some of these 5700XT's come out with wicked clocks set at 2000+Mhz and have issues. Easing up 100Mhz does a lot to stop that. 

Driver wise, yes, AMD needs to stop making drivers that have 12 "fixes" and 10 "known issues". The "known issues" seem to be the same each release. I always read the release notes to see if I really need to update or not. currently, I'm good.

"It worked before you broke it!"
alseu
Challenger

Been using 5700 XT since launch. Don't have any issues with 20.11.3, didn't have any problems with 20.8.3 either. There were improvements and fixes, nothing has got broken for me

RPX100
Miniboss

@mackbolan777 wrote:

For me, 20.8.3 was the last working well driver and owners of the RX 5700 XT in the review community say the same. Perhaps AMD should streamline driver releases to relate to specific cards so more issues get addressed rather than overlooked or ignored.

The worst thing about this, is the frustration that comes with these problems.

It is time intensive to find a solution when you are new to this kind of problem.

And then they tell you to "wait for the next driver", which will most likely not be optimized for your card.

They really should streamline drivers and let community vote for stable releases working on their hardware.

My first experience with the RX 5700 XT also were blackscreens, screen flickering and reboots.

I am using driver 20.9.1 but on Standard profile, without any Software options turned on.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
chloebm
Journeyman III

How do I go back to the 20.11.3 drivers?

0 Likes