Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mimz
Adept II

R9 380 Sapphire still causing crashes.

Hello,

I've got an Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X 4Go DDR5 since some months, and I keep crashing with it, even if I use all the drivers we can find. I tried beta pilots, I tried to downgrade it, and I still get those crashes :

- Black screen with "no signal" but computer keeps working. Have to restart manually.

- Game freezing and I can leave thanks to ctrl/alt/supp. (I'm french, so french keyboard)

- Computer totally freezing, have to restart it manually.

I tried everything, even CHLDSK on my /C disk, checked the RAM, updated everything, underclocked the card, but I'm still having random crashes on every games, instead of Arma 3. (using CPU a lot) Games are : Battlefield Bad company 2 (can't finish a game without freezing), Battlefield 3, Verdun, Crysis 1/2/3, Fallout 4 (lot of crashes).

Specs : Windows 10 64 bits, 8Go RAM DDR3, i5 3570K 3.4Ghz and Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X.

I hope you will be able to help me or answering me that you know this and that you are working on it.

Thanks for answer.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mimz
Adept II

Re: R9 380 Sapphire still causing crashes.

One more freeze after a game on Verdun.

And I've got the lastest drivers. Seriously, I'm getting angry now. Tried everything, un-installed-installed drivers/updates a lot of times, and still freezing.

0 Kudos
ggg
Elite

Uninstall current.

Then use DDU.

Then hide graphic card update for "windows updater"

Then install latest driver again(16.5.2.1).

If its not working try 15.11.1 or even 15.7.1 drivers, every time make good clean uninstall.

And tell about your expirience with all you have done, please.

ps im not amd staff, just had same trouble, here are a lot of us, we just give feedback to eachother.

qwixt
Forerunner

What about your power supply? Are you monitoring heat of CPU and GPU? What if you use a different card, do you still get random crashes?

0 Kudos
mimz
Adept II

Power supply is a fortron aurum 80+ gold 600W. She's 3 years old, is this down already ?!

CPU heat after game : 39° C. GPU heat after game : 55-61° C, it's good.

With my 7870, it was with windows 7 64 bits, never got any problem. Since R9 and windows 10, keeps freezing. And still nothing on the windows event report.

0 Kudos
mwnn
Adept II

Try reverting back to Catalyst 15.11.1

Most people report that as a successful workaround.

I've been through every Crimson version since their introduction with this problem.

The issue is known now and should get fixed eventually - especially if people keep reporting it.

I only wish I knew what's so different between Crimson and Catalyst which induces this behaviour - as nothing is changing hardware wise.

Due to the stupid nature of Windows 10 it'll probably try to update your drivers automatically - we're not allowed to manage our own PC's you see...

Unless your using a Pro or Enterprise edition (with some Group Policy changes) that could be an issue!

I hope Microsoft make driver installation optional with Redstone.

0 Kudos
mimz
Adept II

Thanks for answer, I'm reporting it.

0 Kudos
mimz
Adept II

Thanks for answer.

How can I hide graphic card update for windows updater ?

0 Kudos
mwnn
Adept II

There's at least two known ways of preventing driver updates with Windows 10. I prefer the second method.

You can try the official tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

With Pro or Enterprise editions you can go through Group Policy.

Enter gpedit.msc into Search

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Configure Automatic Updates -> Enabled -> 2 - Notify for download and notify for install

mimz
Adept II

I was on gpedit.msc 5 minutes ago, then I know it. I activated it as you said, thank you.

I will try it, now I'm on 16.5.2.1 hotfix. It's crazy to see how many people is having issues with the R9 380 ! So many people is experiencing those black screen "no signal" crashes or computer totally frozen.

Hope there will be an answer soon, or a fix in drivers.

0 Kudos