cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

citruslee
Adept I

r9 295x2 BSODs on fresh install of windows 10 with creators update

I bought a new motherboard and CPU. I installed windows 10, with all the updates. When I tried to install the amd driver from the website, either the 18.2.1 or 18.4.1 it just goes BSOD during install sometimes, or when it miraculously installs then after computer restart it gives me system thread exception not handled BSOD on kernel mode driver (atikmdag.sys). Only driver which works is the one provided by windows update, but that update from windows is probably half-butted by microsoft, because the radeon settings does not work after reboot. I can live with this WHQL driver, but the problem is that only one GPU is utilized from the two.

My setup is:
cpu: intel i7 7820X

mobo: msi x299 tomahawk/ac
gpu: gigabyte radeon r9 295x2

ram: 16gb ddr4 2400mhz

ssd: nvm-e samsung 512gb

psu: 1000W corsair RM1000

It is a great pity that the new driver bsods because this card is truly wonderful and I would not change it for anything else.

0 Likes
1 Solution
citruslee
Adept I

I figured that the bios was older, a bios flash, driver uninstall from safe mode and reinstall helped to run it

View solution in original post

3 Replies
citruslee
Adept I

I figured that the bios was older, a bios flash, driver uninstall from safe mode and reinstall helped to run it

hey, can i ask where you found a bios upgrade for your gfx card, and humbly asking if t's easy to upgrade..  never done gpu card before, but 100's of motherboards..

my card is sapphire

BIOS Part Number

113-C67301S0-101

BIOS Date

2014/03/11 17:39

BIOS Version

SubSystem Vendor ID 1002

Device ID 67B9

just wanted to find out if it fixed my issue..  going off/on few seconds sometimes..     sometimes it just happens..sometimes it's related to power of switch (light) somewhere in the apartment..   mostly idle when it happens

0 Likes

of course you can ask, but I have no clue about gpu bios, but I flashed my motherboard bios. I found them at my vendors webpage. But as far as I know, (I own the 295x2 from MSI) my vendor has this live update thingy, which somehow automagically can reflash the card bios. I might be wrong. Try to reflash your motherboard, since that was the issue with my card here. Sorry I can't help more mate

0 Likes