cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lucasbryske
Journeyman III

R9 290 died...after installing crimson edition 16.15.2211 with hotfix. SCANDAL !!!

Hello.

Few days ago I decided to update my drivers for my Gigabyte R9 290. I implemented crimson edition 16.15.2211 with hotfix drivers.

That was the biggest mistake of my life.

After couple of hours my screen started to show many artefacts, and after restarting it I was not able to run the system, only colored squares on the screen.

Tried different card, different system , run many tests.

My Radeon died ! This is total scandal and I will sue the manufacturer and I will forward this case to press and Nvidia. I demand satisfaction.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
voitek82
Adept I

Re: R9 290 died...after installing crimson edition 16.15.2211 with hotfix. SCANDAL !!!

it looks like a screen mate 😕

but remember: 

NVIDIA GTX970  OC and NVIDIA  drivers

-and i enjoy my 60hz on 40" with no problems on windows login- i tried  my best - i had contacted support & manufacture - they could not identify the problem - for them EVERYTHING is fine with drivers - it must be on my side - probably cable - probably screen.....-  good bye RADEON !!!!- case is now closed - whole my life wanted to save my self 50£ because amd is actually cheaper- but never again. 

kingfish
MVP

Re: R9 290 died...after installing crimson edition 16.15.2211 with hotfix. SCANDAL !!!

Start in safe mode and roll back to the previous drivers using Device Manager.

I have no issue at all with my 290 with these drivers or the latest beta 16.15.3 drivers.

0 Kudos

Nvidia beat AMD to the punch frying video cards. Too late.

I'm running the same drivers for my Wife's Sapphire R9 290 and my Sapphire R9 390X .My cards are fine. Could it possibly some other reason?

qwixt
Forerunner

kingfish
MVP

Good one

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear you are having issues since updating your display driver, we'd like to help. Please can you provide more information about your system?

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Kudos
afterlife
Adept II

Maybe it's just a bad timing, or maybe not... My 6850 card died the same day I installed the new (at that time) Crimson beta drivers for legacy cards, that was last autumn I think, when AMD began to roll out Crimson drivers for their cards. Just got a random gray screen of death while browsing web, rebooted PC and got blue stripes all over my screen + a dead DVI, OS won't boot with drivers installed. Had to use an even older 3850 card because my warranty for 6850 ran out, but GPU Core on that card started dying as well. Can't afford a new card so I brought back to life my 6850 with a clothes iron... It's been a month and it still works fine.

Till this day I am not sure if it was an impeccable timing or bad drivers because I've never had any issues with this card prior to that. It never went above 70*C and even thought I OC'd it a bit, I did so without touching the voltages.

Hope you'll be able to RMA your card.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

I saw this same type of pattern on my old 1950pro. It was a vram fault and RMA'd under warranty. If you can't find a solution try it in another machine. If it's the vidcard it will do this right away in any machine.

Good luck!

brucer
Forerunner

I noticed on one of the crimson drivers it turned the temperature threshold up and fan speed down on my r9-290, this was about two months ago..I'm glad I caught it because it could indeed fry an aging gpu..

Could that be your monitor?

Did you uninstall the old drivers before upgrading to the newer drivers?

have you tried a different cable in a different port, or a different monitor altogether?

0 Kudos