cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mr_cat
Adept I

R9 290 Crashing With Black Screen

I recently did a new clean intall of windows bacause for the new year.

But i ran in the problem that I can't intall the GPU driver for my R9 290.

When installing it goes my screen goes black and after a forced reboot the same would happen until I reboot in to safe mode.

Hope you guys can help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
merutsu
Adept II

Only one way what i know how to fix that issue it's modding vbios. You need to set up manual voltages for each DPM state. I can do some tweaks if you upload your vbios or you can do it by yourself using "hawaii bios reader"

View solution in original post

52 Replies

What i learned so far:

It is definitely a DRIVER problem, related to ulps. Some driver versions do happen to be worse than others. Older versions do work best. I can come back here with the versions i'm currently using, as i tend to keep notes on what driver works best on what windows version. 

In the course of many years enduring this nightmare, i did almost anything you can imagine, ranging from power supply to xmp settings, gpu core voltages and what not. And all turn out to point amd drivers as the culprit.

0 Likes

Got a Sapphire 290X TRI-X 4GB with the black screen problem.  Happens in Windows, not while under load, sometimes even right after logging in.  I've asked Sapphire if they have a newer version of the BIOS they can send, but meantime this is what I've pulled off of it. Google Drive folder with BIOS & info  I've also asked Sapphire if they have a newer BIOS for this card, we'll see if they do.  In the GDrive folder, bluebios.rom is the hybrid UEFI & Legacy compliant BIOS, loaded when the Sapphire dual BIOS switch is engaged, and bios.rom is Legacy only BIOS loaded when the switch is disengaged.  I've also got some text files with info I've pulled.  Going to try editing TdrDelay in the registry now, see if that helps any.

EDIT: Found this most excellent Microsoft info doc on the different TDR settings and what they do.  Keep in mind other guides specify, at least for TdrDelay, that you should have a DWord value for 32 bit and a QWord value for 64 bit.  Other guides specify to use both, personally I'd probably use both as if it's not used by your OS version it's probably ignored?

EDIT2: Heh, apparently this info is pretty old, TdrDelay is even mentioned in this Microsoft troubleshooting page for Windows Vista & 7

0 Likes
granets
Journeyman III

Hello guys,
I have the same problem. Can someone please help?

I can only use my PC with basic windows drivers, and nothing else.

I will attach my GPU's bios in this post.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

The solution is in the tread and maked

0 Likes

Hello,

The solution is just for your version of the card, and does not work for mine. My bord is not reference, so it's different. I've looked at it, and the tables are different. The bios is larger in size, and has more options. I did not try flashing the bios that was provided to you, as I think it will brick my card.

0 Likes
eruadan
Journeyman III

I also have the same issue. Im pretty sure this thread is dead, but in case anyone sees this and can help, heres my vbios rom file. Im using an amd r9 290 powercolor

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R9o5qUPkHrJdTHR_AUc0QdvRn4HkT6s5 

0 Likes

Hey do you have random black screens in games or wen you aren't active on the computer? If so it can be a vbios problem. 

0 Likes

I used to have this issue, but I would fix it by increasing the fan speed and doing anything else i could to prevent the card from overheating. I got a new case with better airflow recently and though the issue was gone completely, but now im kind of worried that i just fried the dang thing and for some reason it didnt tell me

0 Likes

It this point i can't install the drivers at all without the black screen showing up and i'm about ready to admit defeat and call it a hardware issue

0 Likes

maybe merutsu‌ can help you he tweaked my vbios

0 Likes

did it already (he sent me a pm), no changes

0 Likes

please help me with my sapphire r9 290x 

0 Likes

Hey man do you still mod vbioses? I got this r9 290 tri x oc that crashes when turning off benchmarks. I tried changing the lower DPM state voltages to higher values but the GPU is unstable and it crashes. How can i contact you for help?

0 Likes