Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

marcobadici
Journeyman III

R9 290 causing system shut down

Hello everyone,

I have been directed to ask this question here and any help is highly appreciated. I have an older system that still does its job, especially since I am a student and don't want to invest too much into gaming and components. The system has an R9 290 4Gb (GV-R929D5-4GD-B) which has been causing me some issues since day one. Drivers install, everything works, but when gaming, the system will shut down. Of course, first thought was PSU issues. I have since tried three different PSUs (Gigabyte G750H 80+ Gold, LCPower Arkangel 3 850W 80+ Gold and now a Corsair RM850 80+ Gold), all to the same effect. Then my second though was cooling, as the reference cooler was letting the card go all the way up to almost 100 degrees, so I found an R9 290 tri-x cooler and installed it, now temperatures are around 60 to 70, but still shutting down.

Although recently, after discovering this forum, there has been a small improvement. I have found a bios posted by someone (really sorry for not remembering the username), which after was installed, I was actually able to play Warzone for about a week without problems!! I thought the issues were over. I have attached the bios here. But yesterday and today, after playing for about half an hour, the system shut down again. I may just be stubborn, but I don't want to give up on this card as I love AMD and getting this card was like a dream since it launched. 

Because the card worked very well for this period of time, it leads me to believe that voltages are the issue? I am sadly not that experienced. But I am absolutely willing to lower the performance of the card by a somewhat large proportion just as long as I'd be able to use it and not have to buy another one. So if anyone would be able to help in dealing with this, that would mean the world to me. 

Any questions you may have or further info that is required, please let me know and I will reply asap.  

CPU: i7 920 4C/8T

MOBO: ECS X58B-A2

GPU: R9 290 Gigabyte, Reference

PSU: CORSAIR RM850

0 Likes
4 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Please try this method.

Access violation errors (Exception code: 0xc0000005) can happen because of different reasons. Corrupted files being one of them. I was getting this error daily. After doing a fresh install of the drivers (DDU and factory reset), I'm currently testing whether or not giving RadeonSoftware.exe admin access will resolve it if it is indeed running into access issues.

I'm on day 3 with no black screen yet. At this point I'd do anything to resolve it. I also gave full access in the security tab and disabled windows "full screen optimizations". I have no idea whether this will work or not but it can't hurt. I'll do what I can until AMD finally fixes this issue.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

0 Likes

Would this work even if I don't get black screens, but flat out shut down and restart?

0 Likes

I don't know. Give a try.

0 Likes
iltankee
Journeyman III

Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC GDDR5 4GB
I have the same problem and after 3 years my friend gave his old GPU, I guess R9 series have a chronical issues, only solution is change the GPU

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-25 at 15.32.24.jpeg

0 Likes