cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

windsage
Adept I
Adept I

Re: 15.7.1 MAJOR Display Corruption on R9 290 when using Multiple Monitors (Windows 8.1/10)

I had been running two 1920 x 1080 screens on my single R9-290 and never had this issue.  Today I replaced my screens with two 2560 x 1440 screens, now I get this after about 5 minutes.  The best thing I have found so far is to leave a high res youtube video running in a minimized window just to force the GPU to clock up.  Works instantly.  As soon as the video stops, then instant flicker.

After playing with this a bit more I have found that simply playing a high res local video in a minimized window stabilizes this issue.  The interesting part is that the GPU clock is running 300 - 305 MHz doing this, but the memory clock has gone from 150 to 1250 MHz.  using a youtube video to provide a load also ran up the GPU clock.  so it appears the real culprit is the memory clock running too slow.

I use this workstation for business so I'll probably just replace the video card with a different make.  It's too bad because our whole engineering dept is using these cards and we are now changing out the monitors.  A fix for this would save a bunch of cards from the trash.

windsage
Adept I
Adept I

Re: 15.7.1 MAJOR Display Corruption on R9 290 when using Multiple Monitors (Windows 8.1/10)

After spending an entire day trying to figure out why low load caused this issue.  I decided to try re=wiring some stuff.  I had one monitor connected to the HDMI port and one to the Display Port.  I re-wired it leaving the one in the Display port, but then daisy chaining from the MST output on that monitor over to the second screen.  It hasn't flickered since.  The driver shows the display port output as 7.42 Gbps and 35% load on each screen.  Total load 70%. Total Bandwidth 21.26 Gbps.

Maybe it has something to do with using the mixed connection.  With my old 1080p screens I had one in HDMI and one in a DVI port and it worked fine.  Or, perhaps the HDMI cable just didn't handle the extra bandwidth going from 1080 to 1440.  But so long as I kept something running to put load on it there was never a flicker, so I do not think it was a bandwidth issue.

At this point it has been stable for 8 hours, so something in that port change made a difference.

0 Kudos
dedrick
Adept II
Adept II

I have noticed it is only with resolutions higher than 1080p as well and like you have performed the same troubleshooting steps to identify the issue.  I have been running my second monitor off my Haswell iGPU which has alleviated the issue entirely until this is finally acknowledged and fixed by AMD.  Another solution is to find an installer for 15.6, you can use the Win8.1 version for Windows10

0 Kudos
clark
Adept II
Adept II

Has anyone tried driver 15.9 Beta?

I was eagerly waiting for this release, but, as our problem is not listed neither under the "Fixed Issues" nor under the "Known Issues" sections of the beta release notes, I am reticent about uninstalling 15.6 (which works fine) to install 15.9.

0 Kudos
clark
Adept II
Adept II

Another quick workaround solution is to enable/disable eyefinity display group.

0 Kudos
th3wiz4rd
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

R9 390 - just installed 15.9. No flickering yet.

Edit: Problem returned after a few hours.

clark
Adept II
Adept II

Folks, below are the links for all related topics concerning the same problem that I have managed to find on AMD forums:

R9 290 multi monitor image corruption with Catalyst 15.8 beta and 15.7.1

Flickering

Horizontal flickering and image tearing in 2D (3 screens, R9 290x), 15.7 and up

Keep flickering in resolution 2560x1440 with Catalyst 15.7.1

Driver 15.9 Beta is out and users are reporting that the problem persists. Once again (as when 15.8 was released), this bug is not even listed under the "known issues" section of the beta release notes. Please everyone, report this bug to AMD: AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Kudos
clark
Adept II
Adept II

I've sent a driver bug report to AMD with the following text (below, as inspiration so everyone can send its own report )

Some users, myself included, are experiencing display corruption when using multiple monitors on R9 series VGAs (including R9 200, R9 300 and Fury series) running Windows 7, 8/8.1 and Windows 10 with Catalyst 15.9 beta, 15.8 beta, 15.7.1 and 15.7 beta (the problem did not occur with Catalyst 15.6 beta and previous drivers).

The following references show some discussions on the matter on AMD forums, including videos showing exactly how the problem appears:

https://community.amd.com/thread/187625

https://community.amd.com/thread/185060

https://community.amd.com/thread/185472

https://community.amd.com/message/2675611#2675611

https://community.amd.com/thread/185119

It seems, so far, that there is not a specific trigger cause, since it randomly starts even when the computer is showing only the desktop. Some users suppose that this problem may be related to memory idle clocks being set too low for multiple monitors, which is partially confirmed by the fact that the display corruption rarely happens while gaming (except when some games, like GTA V, are paused). Other discussions on the community seem to have determined that this bug is affecting setups using Display Port mixed with other interfaces, like DVI and HDMI.

Temporarily fixes for this issue include enabling / disabling Eyefinity Display Group and VSR when the flickering starts or powering off all the monitors connected via Display Port and than back on.

I have reported this bug to AMD using the "AMD Issue Reporting Form" since Catalyst 15.7.1 was released, then again when Catalyst 15.8 beta was made available. Unfortunately, not only the problem persists, but also, it is not listed on the "known issues" section of the "beta release notes" for the newly released Catalyst 15.9 beta, which seems to indicate that AMD has not acknowledged the issue. This is very worrying, because this bug is ruining our experience with R9 Series even when performing basic tasks. It should be clear to AMD that this bug affects the root purpose of a VGA, therefore, it's fix should have a higher priority than game specific upgrades, which, unfortunately, are all that the latest AMD drivers are offering. 

Reverting to Catalyst 15.6 solves the issue, however, we are left without WDDM 2.0 and DirectX 12 support, which is very undesirable.

I have provided my email to AMD. Please let me know if any further clarifications are needed.

----------

Additional information about my setup that might be useful:

VGAs: Sapphiretech R9 290 Tri-X OC (dual, in Crossfire)

Monitors: Three Dell U3014 (one on DVI, two daisy chained on DP, all 2560x1600) and a 1080p TV on HDMI.

- The three U3014 are always used together (either as individual displays or as a single display using eyefinity), but never together with the TV. When the TV is used, the U3014s are powered off. Whenever the three U3014 are used together (either as individual displays or combined with eyefinity), the issue happens. Using only the TV (U3014s powered off) the problem does not happen.

- Enabling/disabling eyefinity display group or VSR temporarily solves the problem (setting it to the opposite state that was set when the problem starts).

- The problem seems to be uncorrelated with Crossfire settings. It happens whether Crossfire is enabled or not.

0 Kudos
clark
Adept II
Adept II

For the people who are using displays with resolution greater than 1080p over Display Port, are you also facing DP screens going completely black for a second or so before returning, sometimes multimple times in succession?

Appart from the flickering problem, I've always had this aforementioned black screen problem, on different drivers (14.9, 14.12, 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9 and 15.9.1), and always thought it was related to DP cables quality (although I have tried several different cables from different makers). Today, however, I found a thread on this forum from a user facing the same issue (Display randomly going black for a second ), and began wondering if other DP users have the same issue. Could you please provide some feedback on your experience?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ace1ndahole
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

This isn't just DP problem I'm on HDMI and getting daily flickering, especially when watching a youtube video on chrome.

Luckily the flickering isn't showing when gaming but when browsing the web and doing other desktop require work, it is unacceptable and this should have been fix long ago but it still persist even with the latest 15.10beta drivers.

0 Kudos