Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kknvdoom
Journeyman III

R290 keeps crashing since 4th of January

Hello,

My Sapphire Tri-X R290 Oc edition was working fine until it started crashing a few days ago and I have no idea what the problem is.  The game screen freezes a few seconds after I log in any 3D game and I have to ctrl-alt-del to end the process.   I have tried at least 10 different version of drivers ranging from last year's drivers to the latest releases performing a clean install each time by using DDU / safe mode .  I have tried removing all GPU overclocking software like MSI afterburner, GPU tweak and Trix. I have even uninstalled the latest Windows updates but the problem persists.  I also removed the card and cleaned it with a blower just in case.  One of the things I have noticed is that sometimes the GPU Core Clock gets stuck at 300Mhz but there were crashes/freezes with the Core Clock working at its normal 1000mhz as well. I have run out of ideas so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Win10 home edition

Intel Core i-7 4770k

Asus Maximus VI hero C2

16 Gb Ram 2xG Skill 2x 8GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz

750w PSU

0 Likes
3 Replies
kknvdoom
Journeyman III

I just finished reinstalling windows 10 which took me almost 5 hours with all the updates...., the problem is still there.  Maybe my GPU is faulty?

0 Likes

Sounds like it could be, can you try it in a different system as a test?

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have access to another PC that is capable of supporting my graphics card at the moment.  After trying lots of things I have discovered that playing my usual games (Path of Exile and World of Warcraft) in low settings and Vsync turned on does not result in a game crush and that is with the default WHQL 7.5.1 drivers ( I haven't tried the new drivers with low settings).   I also tried installing a friends' GPU and everything ran fine but his AMD card does not require a 750w power supply like mine does and his PSU is inadequate for mine to test.  Is there a chance my PSU is causing all these problems by not being able to give enough power to the GPU like before? I have an OCZ Fatal1ity 750w which is supposed to be a decent PSU but you never know.  If my GPU was faulty wouldn't I get artifacts and crashes even when playing in low settings?

0 Likes