cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mlrs
Adept III

"Thread Stuck in Device Driver" BSOD loop (AMD Radeon R7 M265) !

kingfish‌ 

My Laptop's specs:

Dell Inspiron 5547 Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD

Dual-Graphics Card : Intel HD 4000 & AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB

I am facing continuous/endless loop of BSOD "Thread Stuck In Device Driver" as soon as I enable my AMD GPU driver from "Device Manager", also the system heats up too. 

System ran fine for up-to 4 years but unfortunately i got this error after playing ''The Forest'' game by getting a white screen on game launching. 

It is worth mentioning here that I also ran hardware diagnostics by pressing F12 key & there is says every thing including Video Card is working fine 

Also tried DDU/uninstalling all the AMD display drivers numerous times but problem still persists...Now laptop works fine when i disable the AMD driver 

Can i install Windows 8.1 to rectify the issue? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated, mates!

92 Replies
jakarias
Adept I

So I just tried manually installing an AMD driver instead of letting the software do it but that didn't make a difference.. Running out of options, I might have to bake it.

0 Likes
jakarias
Adept I

My current solution is to only enable the graphics card when gaming as it hasn't had any funny colours or screen flickers whilst in a game recently. It doesn't seem to like the same screen for too long, desktop or white chrome background but maybe that's just seeing patterns in a mosaic.

0 Likes
jakarias
Adept I

So I am lucky my system restore is at a point with the GPU disabled via device manager because I just enabled it and it crashed during a youtube video... And then proceeded to come up with a new error on startup: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

So now... I don't know lol, going to try and update the driver a couple more times, still need to try some from 2018 - 2019

0 Likes
mlrs
Adept III

Ok. As jakarias‌ mentioned above his GPU, so on my current Windows 8.1 OS, i installed multiple GPU monitoring apps (MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, microsoft process explorer etc)

But i keep seeing, some sensors/readings greyed out. Temp i get is in mid 60s when i play 'The Forest'. 

Sometimes, i see 'Display driver has stopped' error returning with screen flickers too similar to some of above comments.

Now, i m looking forward to install Windows 1909, hoping that i might get the 'right' AMD driver

0 Likes

and i m installing 2004 version...hope it fixes it if not i m waitn on pokerstar to answer me if older drivers make the bsod worse or not..love u bruv please if u find any breakthrough(unfitting word excuse my spaghetti) tell us

0 Likes
jakarias
Adept I

No progress, I found a lot of information on the AMD subreddit though. I'm going to update the bios but if that doesn't work I'm baking the GPU.

Nothing lasts forever, especially if it is overused. I would say we have over a 95% chance it's just the GPU getting old. You should get a new one. If it was a laptop go get a desktop PC for gaming and keep your laptop for light use.

0 Likes
mlrs
Adept III

duijckaerts‌ mate, you just gave me some HOPE. I'll definitely try it! 

b.t.w sorry for late reply!

0 Likes

mlrs, just so that you are aware. I responded to jakarias who had issues with the HP OEM AMD Radeon R9 390X card in an HP (Omen) machine. I have created the BIOS specifically for that card. Not sure what your configuration or AMD card is. If the card is the HP OEM AMD Radeon R9 390X, then this may work for you. If it did, I am interested to know.

0 Likes
carolsama1993
Journeyman III

Just formated my laptop cuz my laptop is from 2015, and now I can't get to install AMD... I also tried everything I found around and or it freezes after installing or I get blue screen :') 

My Laptop's specs:

Dell Inspiron 5547 Core i7 4th gen, 16GB RAM, 1TB SHDD (hybrid)

Dual-Graphics Card : Intel HD 4000 & AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB

Windows 10 , 64x

What happened to me that I didn't saw in this thread was using some drivers detectors to download and it downloaded 260 instead of 265... I even got it installed as 260 lol 

Screenshot-2020-10-12-22-50-09-530-com-whatsapp — ImgBB 

So, no solution so far?

I formated it thinking it would be better to clean my pc for playing games... And this happened...  

Ah, my system originally was also windows 8, but I installed latest w10 from Microsoft 

0 Likes

Hi Guys, so I think I might have the solution. I had the same BSoD problem and had to format to find the problem kept recurring again. 

Here's what i did:

I booted into Safemode and disabled the driver in Device Manager(To stop the endless loop of BSoD at boot) and the Radeon software was not shown anymore( I might have uninstalled).

After a week, I decide to install Radeon Adrenaline by Auto detect tool. As the installation finished, I got the BsoD and thought it was over.After restarting, no problems occurred and the Radeon was running but was not using the graphics card in games or other apps.

I restarted again and found out the card works again.no Blue Screen or other problems were not seen.Hope it works for you 

0 Likes

Which auto detect tool? 

0 Likes
Droidtips97
Journeyman III

To fix thread stuck in device driver error, navigate to Device Manager and then, click on the Update Driver option. For more methods to fix this error, Visit

0 Likes
mekypapek
Journeyman III

Hello sir,

I ve read the thread and it seems like you were able to partially solve your problem. Were you able to figure out real solution after all this time? I have same issue for about a week now on Lenovo 550 (laptop from same era as yours). I dont know if its Windows 10 21h1 causing the problem or its just dead r7 m265 or VRAM. Drivers dont work no matter the version.  I have a key for Windows 8.1 originally, but i would like not to go that way. Thanks in advance for any further suggestion by anyone.

0 Likes